• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Comments for Vancouver's News Station

NEWS 1130 has been Vancouver's all news radio service for almost 20 years. I want to hear your comments about if you like it or not and explain to me. Also, I want to hear suggestions about what you should be heard on this radio station.

NEWS 1130 has been Vancouver's all news radio service for almost 20 years. I want to hear your comments about if you like it or not and explain to me. Also, I want to hear suggestions about what you should be heard on this radio station.

I have heard CKWX News 1130 before and I like it. Im a big fan of all-news radio and i like it the way it is. Maybe the original jingle should go back since everything from the 90s is coming back.

I think it's a much better all-news operation than Seattle's KOMO. I try to listen from where I live in North Seattle. But of course, in the past couple of years, the new time-brokered Russian language religious station from a little south of Portland, with its directional array aimed right at us, completely wipes the CKWX signal away for several hours a day. Probably sounds a lot like the good ol' days of Russian jamming the signals of Radio Free Europe?
No matter how good your programming is, without a solid signal, it's not going to get the traction you might expect. Therefore, I think you should make it a priority to get the FCC to pay attention and require the Oregon station to lower its power during what they call "Critical Hours" to reduce or eliminate the interference within your coverage area. It usually starts about two or three hours before sunset. I've heard 1130 wiped out even in Abbotsford on the Canadian side of the border, until the Oregon signal drops power at local sundown (or, as is their practive, usually about five minutes later). So it's not just a "sorry, but it doesn't matter on our side of the border" issue. If you can't get cooperation, then please raise your power lobe to the south-southeast to counteract it. The programming on CKWX is much more important than what the Oregon station airs, and has been my only source of weather updates sometimes when KOMO is running sports play by play. As a motorist in the region, you are one of the few AM stations that give me anything timely to listen to.
Otherwise, regarding content, I'd wish you relied less on those fluffy short bits from ABC in the States. And give us more news briefs of what's happening across Canada and the world. Especially countries where many Vancouver immigrants come from, and the rest of the Commonwealth.
Oh, and make sure all of your hosts can say "W" without their tongues folding on them!
Thanks for asking for our feedback.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom