• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

A Big Problem With Music Radio...Again!

[A part, yes. A major part, no.[/B][/COLOR]

But since the 1920's, an expected part. And commercial loads today are generally lower than in the 50's and 60's.

I have never heard anyone gripe about the DJ announcing a song title or artist. I have heard many thousands of listeners gripe about all manner of commercials.[/B][/COLOR]

They generally will not gripe until you ask about irritants. Then listeners will say "boring talk". When you ask about what is boring, you get the "they tell me the name of the song over and over when I've already heard it a hundred times.

One person's "bad" song is someone else's "desired" song.[/B][/COLOR]

A well researched station that takes listener tastes into account will not be playing bad songs. They will all be at minimum neutral and generally very positive with the target audience.

But since the 1920's, an expected part. And commercial loads today are generally lower than in the 50's and 60's.

You keep saying that but I disagree and I think the man on the street listener would agree. On music stations at least. When I listened as a kid I never heard 6, 7 or 8 commercials back to back. Three was about the max unless read by the DJ then just 1. The old Don Wilson-read commercials were very lengthy and so were the Paul Harvey variety but they were not music stations. I am referring specifically to more modern music formats.

They generally will not gripe until you ask about irritants. Then listeners will say "boring talk". When you ask about what is boring, you get the "they tell me the name of the song over and over when I've already heard it a hundred times.

If the DJ goes on and on about the history of the artists or adds where they are appearing this weekend I would agree with you but we are talking about something like "Africa by Toto" and not much more. In the old days the talent used to give the time and temp between each song. It was very repetitive but I never heard one of my peers complain about it. It was just part of the presentation. If they did the entire weather recap more than once per half hour then yes.

A well researched station that takes listener tastes into account will not be playing bad songs. They will all be at minimum neutral and generally very positive with the target audience.

Radio professionals tend to complain about "Brown Eyed Girl" but I am neutral on it and don't mind hearing it. Likewise "Hotel California". Different strokes for different folks. Especially Oldies folks. :)

we are talking about something like "Africa by Toto" and not much more.

As I've said several times in this thread, we're talking about something as though it's not done, and yet I hear front and back announces regularly on lots of stations and lots of formats. I'll even hear teases of songs or artists before they go into commercials.

As I've said several times in this thread, we're talking about something as though it's not done, and yet I hear front and back announces regularly on lots of stations and lots of formats. I'll even hear teases of songs or artists before they go into commercials.

I listen to 3 stations in my market but 99% is 1 only. None of those 3 ever announce. I don't know about the Hip Hop, Rap, Country or AC stations.

I listen to 3 stations in my market but 99% is 1 only. None of those 3 ever announce. I don't know about the Hip Hop, Rap, Country or AC stations.

Stations that play currents generally announce songs that are relatively new to the playlist. Gold based stations generally don't do artist and title, but may give artist names for the core image artists as part of branding.

Stations that play currents generally announce songs that are relatively new to the playlist. Gold based stations generally don't do artist and title, but may give artist names for the core image artists as part of branding.

Like the stations that tease three of the artists coming up in the next sweep: "Back after this with the Stones, Madonna and Rod Stewart on (station)!"? Invariably, the first song in the set is by one of the mentioned artists but you have to stay tuned to the end to hear the other two, after which you hear the DJ tease "Pat Benatar, Elton John and Prince, next on (station)!" Personally, I find that a very effective approach, since I'm usually a fan of at least one of the names mentioned and will stay tuned to see which of their songs is played. I also note that only artists with multiple songs in the playlist get teased. "Brown Eyed Girl" might be on the playlist, but it's the only Van Morrison song the station plays, so no teaser for you!

WBRF Galax VA (classic country FM with a tower on a mountain that gives it quite a range) is pretty good about telling us the artist and title of most of the songs. Sometimes the DJ will tell you everything you ever wanted to know about the artist, who by the way is often "the late".

What percentage of the songs they play do you not know the title or artist?

I used to be 100% on title and artist but as I delve further into my 70's the memory begins to fade. My kids used to try to make me miss a song. Now days it is easier for them. I almost always can name the title but the artists are getting away, especially DooWop and Disco.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom