WROR Wally Brine retiring - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WROR Wally Brine retiring

Quote Originally Posted by gaveitup View Post
    . The simple truth is a pair of late 60-something morning guys is actually holding back WROR from staying below the "54" threshhold...
    Normally I would agree with that, but based on WROR's 6+ numbers (I know they mean nothing) I don't think they are holding the station back.

That being said, I have never understood why or how Loren and Wally have lasted as long as they have .....

The PM drive guy Jaybeau Jones puts out a great product... even though I normally catch him on XM7 at the same time.. he is doing 2 separate shows at once thanks to the wonders of modern technology...

Julie Devereaux does a good job, but mid days are not very important to the business anymore.... She did yeoman's work for Greater Media, moving from station to station slot to slot as needed ..... not that is going to count for anything with the new ownership.

Greater Media was making a real effort to skew younger in the 2 years leading up to the announcement that Beasley was buying them.
    They got their billing up, and the value of the stations.

The exception to that was WROR. They didn't tweak the play list, they shuffled the air staff a little, they sent Tom Doyle to the beach, but the basic product was untouched. Maybe someone put into practice what many radio people have been saying for a while.... 55+ matters, and outside of rim shotters like 104.9 there is no full coverage music station in the market that is making the slightest effort to capture that demographic. Are they lucky or sly like a fox?

The simple truth is a pair of late 60-something morning guys is actually holding back WROR from staying below the "54" threshhold,
    Just like Matty is "holding back" Kiss 108?

I think L&W ratings have been at their highest in recent years. And they apparently just gave Loren another contract.

Are you even in the market?

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    And they apparently just gave Loren another contract.
    I'd love to hear more on that subject.... the last contract I know of was 2013 and they made sure news of it made it to the trades.... for all to see.

What are you hearing that the rest of us are not?

Quote Originally Posted by gaveitup
    . The simple truth is a pair of late 60-something morning guys is actually holding back WROR from staying below the "54" threshhold...
    Quote Originally Posted by MRBIboredop
    Normally I would agree with that, but based on WROR's 6+ numbers (I know they mean nothing) I don't think they are holding the station back.

WROR was at #5 age 25-54 in the December 2016 ratings survey. They did not appear in the Top 5 in the other sales demos of 18-34 and 18-49. (from AllAccess PPM Ratings Analysis Dec. 2016)

WROR also has the distinctive anomaly of being #1 overall age 6+ but not #1 in any particular daypart. (from Tom Taylor Now newsletter)

Quote Originally Posted by pjc1961 View Post
    [FONT="Arial"]

WROR was at #5 age 25-54 in the December 2016 ratings survey. They did not appear in the Top 5 in the other sales demos of 18-34 and 18-49. (from AllAccess PPM Ratings Analysis Dec. 2016)
    #5 in 25 to 54 huh?

I would not expect them to show well in the under 34 group, and that goes double for under 25.

Can we assume that WEEI FM and WBZ FM, the sports stations are in the top 4, along with WZLX .

The third station in the 25 - 54 might be WMJX or WKLB ... which is just a wild guess on my part.

I would also venture a guess that the males are going for the sports stations and WZLX while females are going for MJX, KLB and WROR.

I know we are not allowed to post numbers, but does anyone know where WROR places in rank with females 34+ in AM drive?

But rankings aside, I bet WROR is bringing in big bucks, and it is all about the dollars

Quote Originally Posted by Wimmmex View Post
    Just like Matty is "holding back" Kiss 108?

I think L&W ratings have been at their highest in recent years. And they apparently just gave Loren another contract.

Are you even in the market?
    or
    I swear Wimmex we are twin sons of different mothers! Exactly the opposite with Matty. His tenure helps lift the demos of KISS 108 so it is more relevant with older adults outside its core audience. That show is the primary reason KISS is always in the top 4 or 5 with adults 25-54. Plus Matty "plays" younger. Loren and Wally are every bit their age on and off the air thus holding WROR back from getting any younger.

I am in the market but no longer in radio...Gave it Up. But I will check with some friends next week and find out where WROR bills compared to its ratings. I'll bet it is underperforming on the revenue side. Miller-Kaplan will reveal the truth. Have a great weekend.

or

Exactly the opposite with Matty.
    So, basically it can mean whatever you say, because you said so. Thanks!

or

I'll bet it is underperforming on the revenue side.
    Last I heard it was operating at 102% budgeted revenue. Sounds like they are happy.

Miller-Kaplan
    Local:+13.2
    Nat: +11.8
    Last edited by Wimmmex; 11-27-2016 at 01:35 AM.

I am in the market but no longer in radio...Gave it Up. But I will check with some friends next week and find out where WROR bills compared to its ratings. I'll bet it is underperforming on the revenue side. Miller-Kaplan will reveal the truth. Have a great weekend.
    Didn't somebody use to publish on a blog radio stations' ratio of ad billing to market share? Is that still out there?

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post

With Beasley's takeover someone, I think @bostonradio on Twitter or maybe it was you, predicted both would be gone in 6 or 9 months. 35 years for L&R...
    And with that, Beasley has posted to the trades a job opening for someone to join Loren. Seems they want to keep it a 2 person show, and they are not just cutting things willy-nilly....

More amazing than the fact that Wally has been on the air at one station for almost 35 years is the fact that he survived multiple format changes. Obviously other personalities who have been on the air at one station for years, but I wonder how many other personalities across the country have survived multiple format changes.

In Hartford Nancy Barrow has been the co-host of the morning show on WZMX 93.7 for around 20 years. When she first came to WZMX she was Sebastian's sidekick and he was a shock-jock. WZMX at that time was Classic Hits or Classic Rock. Then in 98 they flipped to a format called "The Point" where the played Rock & Roll Music from the 50s through the 90s. In 99 they went to Jammin Oldies (Dancin' Oldies Z-93.7). They let Sebastian go, but they kept Nancy. In '01 they flipped to their current format which is Hip-Hop.

Also in Hartford Brad Davis has been with WDRC AM 1360 since around 78. They have been Oldies, Adult Standards, a Variety format called "The Best of Everything", and since 2002 they've been a talk station.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast