• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latest Radio Ratings

The ratings came out today and as predicted WLIT showed a big jump playing Holiday Music. I am happy to see Me TV Fm doing so well as it continues the upward climb. WLIT is considering keeping the Christmas format till after New Years.

I don't know how you think that they are doing well when they only have a 2.4 rating, there are a lot of radio stations with much better ratings, even ones with a 6.2 rating or more and only 3 stations having those ratings, and no surprise WBBM is one of them. Even with the repeated news broadcasts in less of breaking news I don't know why anybody likes to listen to them, since they repeat pretty much the same thing every 10 minutes. In less of course the Chicago Bears have a game to play.

I don't know how you think that they are doing well when they only have a 2.4 rating, there are a lot of radio stations with much better ratings, even ones with a 6.2 rating or more and only 3 stations having those ratings, and no surprise WBBM is one of them. Even with the repeated news broadcasts in less of breaking news I don't know why anybody likes to listen to them, since they repeat pretty much the same thing every 10 minutes. In less of course the Chicago Bears have a game to play.

The past few days have hardly been slow news days, but that's not covered in this ratings period. WBBM has consistently performed well in the ratings, and does not repeat the stories every 10 minutes. Headlines get repeated once every 15 but the stories themselves only get reported twice an hour. WBBM is a valuable resource for driving through Chicago with it's frequent traffic reports. Whenever someone I know is driving through Chicago on one of the many highways, I strongly urge them to tune into WBBM just so they know what they're getting into as they approach the city.

Nobody in Chicago has a 6.2 rating. Not even a 2.4 rating, in fact.

Well if that is a fact DavidEduardo then how are the numbers that are listed for each of the stations are figured?

Well it does show you how much I like to listen to them, not at all because all I am aware of in less there is a breaking news story or something that breaks they repeat the same stuff over and over every 10 minutes

Well if that is a fact DavidEduardo then how are the numbers that are listed for each of the stations are figured?

The published numbers are "shares" of the total radio listening audience, not "ratings" which is the percentage of the 6+ universe.

A station with a 6.2 share has a "rating" of about 0.6.

So could this be classified as fake news. :)

Actually, it is just a misunderstanding of the meaning of "rating" and "share".

When I used to do presentations for sales departments in different markets, I had two "trick" questions:

1. What is the rating for the #1 station?
2. What percentage of radio listening takes place in the car?

On #1 I'd usually get something like a 5 or a 6, depending on the market. The real number is around a 0.5 to 0.6. This would open up a discussion of "persons using radio" and a better understanding of how many people are actually listening at any given time.

On #2 I would get anywhere from 50% to 75%. The actual number is more like 33%, except in New York City where it is closer to 25%. That helped sellers to know that they could sell the more ubiquitous nature of radio. But that was some years ago, and in-home OTA radio listening is declining as people use their smartphone as a radio and many don't even have a stand-alone radio any more.

The published numbers are "shares" of the total radio listening audience, not "ratings" which is the percentage of the 6+ universe.

A station with a 6.2 share has a "rating" of about 0.6.

Just checked... WLIT has a 0.5 rating for the December book.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom