• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KEJI 91.5 Darrington

What a waste of a channel. I'd rather see 91.5 go off the air, or someone buy out the transmitter and turn it into a community radio station for Darrington and Oso - music, local information, weather, etc. like KVSH-LP on Vashon. Darrington has no local stations and most FM stations (besides Bellingham and some B.C. stations) are hit and miss out there.

Victoria stations come in better in Darrington than Seattle or Vancouver stations.

I don't know if they still do it, but the local IGA once played KJR-FM over it's PA/music system, even though it hardly comes in there and you can hear the noisy multipathed mess in the aisles (it also ran a Safeway spot.) Personally, if I were manager, I'd at least set the radio on CIOC.

Drove through Darrington yesterday. 91.5 is still on with dead air, almost certainly from the garage featured in the photos earlier in this thread, given the signal strength as you drive by. Fun fact- their STA expired on February 2nd, not that they were silent anyway. If you are in the market for a transmitter, I would get (your own) transmitter just like this one, since it can apparently run for 2+ years with zero maintenance. That will keep your engineering costs down!

Val

Yah... I noted the STA expiration yesterday, while updating a raft-load of EAS boxes. I'll get ahold of them today about shutting off the transmitter.

Uh-huh. Because it worked so well back in November of 2016.

Val

Easy to throw rocks from your island, isn't it?

The people who went over there to remove the tower and failed amplifier didn't understand there was still equipment running out there, and none of the locals told them... and certainly not any of the drive-bys around here who were quick to put up pictures of the place and cluck about what irresponsible broadcasters they were.

With a few notable exceptions, you can find problems, inconsistencies and maybe even some outright ignorance at many stations. Feigned, self-righteous outrage fixes nothing.

In any case, they know now, so we'll see.

Last edited:
Looks a little bit like a home made TV antenna.
That's a standard low-power "ring-stub" FM transmit antenna, circular polarization. It's available from many manufacturers, on and off shore.

Question to the thread. KEJI is supposedly the feeder for two translators- one in Everett and one in "Delphi" (Olympia.) I know for a fact the one in Everett is operating normally, as I was in S Everett yesterday and heard plenty of preaching in Spanish on 99.5. I don't know if the Olympia xlator is running programming or not. Wonder where the Everett translator is getting their programming?

I'm not sure what the arrangement is, 91.5 could be fed from Astoria, but it could also be fed from 93.7. I always thought that was how 99.5 was being fed.

I don't think so.

91.5 was not a translator and was in the non-com, reserved band. 93.7 is a commercial station, so it could not have been a source.

99.5 is owned by the owner of the Sedro-Woolley station. Aside from a familial connection, I don't know anything about how those two are set up or sourced.

If a station in the commercial band is non-commercial, it can feed a reserved band translator...an example: KHCB in Houston, TX at 105.7.

If a station in the commercial band is non-commercial, it can feed a reserved band translator...an example: KHCB in Houston, TX at 105.7.

And with KUOW Seattle 94.9/KQOW Bellingham 90.3

That's true. However, the 93.7 that Bongwater is referring to is not a non-commercial station. The Astoria station (KGIO) that is owned by the same company, is.

Oh, so 93.7 is being run commercially? I wasn't aware of that. I was under the impression that Everett's 99.5 was a relay of that station, you might be right about Astoria for 91.5 in Olympia.

That's true. However, the 93.7 that Bongwater is referring to is not a non-commercial station. The Astoria station (KGIO) that is owned by the same company, is.

I referenced 94.9. not 93.7.

I can independently confirm that KEJI is off the air- there seems to be no dead air transmitting on 91.5 in the Darrington area. The small antenna is still on that garage roof. What does come in through Darrington is KSQM Sequim and quite well at that. It was very listenable down Highway 530 through Darrington and beyond. That station really gets out!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom