KEJI 91.5 Darrington
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: KEJI 91.5 Darrington

KEJI 91.5 Darrington

Bet you didn't even know this station existed. Neither does the licensee apparently.

Recently had occasion to drive through Darrington twice. First time, I noticed this two-bay FM antenna on a short tower next to the highway. Did a scan on the car radio and found dead air at 91.5. Took some pictures the second time:

As you can see, the tower with the two-bay is right along Highway 530 on the property of a church- nowhere it's licensed location, along Crawford Loop Road up on the hill above the city. Second, it's clearly damaged- you can see the feedline has broken away from the antenna itself. There's a small antenna (?) on top of the garage in one of the pictures; not sure if that is a temporary or backup but again, it's nowhere the station's licensed location.

Station was broadcasting dead air with a strong signal both times I drove through Darrington- more than a month apart. Not sure why Iglesia Pentecostal Visperia Del Fin would spend the money to acquire a license, put the station on the air and then completely abandon it. The fact that they put the antenna in a location of their own choosing rather than the licensed location is telling about how seriously they took getting in the business of radio.

Not sure why I'm posting this, other than it's interesting to see how completely a station can be abandoned in such a short time. Was their competing applications for this license? There's no way a community group, for example, could have done worse with this license.

Don't look to the useless FCC to clean this up anytime soon. Bunch of broadcast industry licking toadies (those who are left); these sorts of compliance issues probably aren't even on their radar. At some point the electricity will be cut to the garage this thing is in and that will take care of it first.

Unless somebody gets in first and takes all the gear (hint-hint)!

Val
    Last edited by valvashon; 11-19-2016 at 03:00 PM. Reason: pic link wrong

Quote Originally Posted by valvashon View Post

Don't look to the useless FCC to clean this up anytime soon.
    Actually a notice of violation was posted 3 years ago.

https://www.fcc.gov/document/iglesia...-fin-delphi-wa

From what I can see, the organization hasn't raised any money in four years.

Radio-X
    Quote Originally Posted by valvashon View Post
    Unless somebody gets in first and takes all the gear (hint-hint)!

Val
    I would avoid taking the gear...those podunk towns like Darrington have a police force who are itching to catch the "big one". You'll make the cops' week/month! They don't know any better about the difference in AM vs FM transmitter plants...they'll think you (or I) are meth heads salvaging copper. In which case, better hope you look good decked out in all orange with shackles!

The smarter money would go to the head of the organization, offer them some nominal amount for the equipment. Tell them you want to use some of it for another on-the-air station or your ham shack. Remind them a non-functioning transmitter site is a big liability. Lie if you must...they clearly don't know or care about FCC rules...tell em having a non-lighted tower is a federal criminal offence.

Hell, you may get the license for a song too! It's not doing them a darned bit of good sitting there collecting dust. And they clearly don't have the money to get it running again.

Nice pics, BTW!

Radio-X

Yeah, I know what KEJI is. I went through Darrington about three years ago, and 91.5 was airing Spanish Christian music. The signal doesn't make it out of Darrington...just a few miles west. When the town has about 1,400 people, and only 3% of them are Hispanic...what's the point of having this station on the air?
    As for reception of other stations, the Mt. Constitution Bellingham stations do fine. 92.1, 98.5 and 100.3 from Victoria are fair, as is KSER 90.7 Everett. Seattle is quite weak, 94.1 and 96.5 were hardly audible. 95.7 and 92.5 seem to be the best Seattle signals there.
    Some type of knife edge refraction over Whitehorse Mountain as well...KSWW 102.1 and KDUX 104.7 were in, but very weak.
    757 AM's in the log, 627 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 96.5 XHITA SON and 98.9 KHWY CA, 6/20/18 (Es)
    Last New AM Log: 1100 WTAM Cleveland, OH; 2/9/18

Wow, what's the deal. The first poster hints at stealing the equipment, then another poster says to lie to them. Really? In my opnion sound like you guys might be more of a problem than KEJI could ever be. I say a CP for a move to the site in question at one point.

Quote Originally Posted by b-turner View Post
    Wow, what's the deal. The first poster hints at stealing the equipment, then another poster says to lie to them. Really? In my opnion sound like you guys might be more of a problem than KEJI could ever be. I say a CP for a move to the site in question at one point.
    So they did or they didn't have a CP to move to where I found the tower? If you can produce the CP that's fine but the licensed location is not where the abandoned equipment and antenna are located.

Disclaimer: I didn't actually visit the licensed location, I simply observed from the highway that there appeared to be no broadcast tower along that ridge.

Val

Why don't you knock on the door and ask to see their public file?

Doubt there's anyone in that building.
    757 AM's in the log, 627 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 96.5 XHITA SON and 98.9 KHWY CA, 6/20/18 (Es)
    Last New AM Log: 1100 WTAM Cleveland, OH; 2/9/18

I thought it was really odd that Darrington at 3% Hispanic per the Census Bureau and maybe 2,000 to 2,500 in the listening area would have a Spanish Christian station. That's 60 to 75 for a potential audience. For estimating the coverage area I used RecNet for a LPFM search and chose the towers option with the KEJI tower popping up on the western side of the town. I could only see what a 100 watt signal would do from the pictured tower site (1,733 population in the 60 dbu and 2,416 in the 50 dbu). At 400 watts the coverage is not that much bigger but building penetration is a whole lot better.

You can check everything here by clicking the application: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws...lity_id=176052

It seems the station was sold to the current owner for $30,000. I recall reading in the ASA attachment on an application.

As we've discussed in other places, the spectrum is filled with a lot of these defunct non-commercial stations. It's relatively easy to start a station like this, and a lot tougher to keep it on the air.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast