• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Have KOKC downed towers been rebuilt?

Just curious...have KOKC's downed towers been rebuilt? If not, what are they using for now? Also, if not, are there plans to do so?

I saw somewhere on Facebook that they were tearing down the building at the KOKC site (also former KOMA AM/FM and KRXO studios). I think they erected a temp tower to operate at 10kw. Here's their latest STA from June.

Exhibit 33
Description: RADIOFREQUENCY RADIATION CALCULATION

THE ANTENNA SYSTEM OF KOKC WAS VIRTUALLY DESTROYED BY THE MOORE, OK TORNADO OF MARCH 25, 2015. THE ORIGINAL KOKC SYSTEM WAS DESIGNED FOR A 50 KW RADIO STATION. THE PREVIOUS STA HAVE APPROVED OPERATIONS AT 10 KW OPERATION. THE LICENSEE WILL CONTINUE KEEP PERSONS A MINIMUM OF 2 METERS FROM THE TOWER BASE BY USING FENCES.

THE KOKC STA TEMPORARY RADIATOR SYSTEM IS 57.9 METERS OR 105.7 ELECTRICAL DEGREES AT 1520 KHZ. THIS RELATES MOST CLOSELY TO A 90 DEGREE TOWER WHICH REQUIRES PERSONS TO BE LIMITED TO A DISTANCE OF 2 METERS FROM THE TOWER BASE FOR 10 KW STATIONS.

Attachment 33

Exhibit 34
Description: EXTRAORDINARY CIRCUMSTANCES

AS PREVIOUSLY ADVISED BY TYLER MEDIA, LLC, (TYLER), ON MARCH 25, 2015 A TORNADO HIT MOORE, OKLAHOMA THE LOCATION OF THE KOKC (AM) TRANSMITTER SITE. TYLER WAS GRANTED TEMPORARY AUTHORITY TO CONSTRUCT A NEW 57.9 METER (190 FOOT) TOWER AND TO OPERATE TO OPERATE KOKC (AM) AT THE REDUCED POWER OF 10 KW.

WORK ON REPAIRS TO THE KOKC TOWER SYSTEM HAD BEEN UNDERWAY IN 2015; HOWEVER, TYLER HAD A SIGNIFICANT SETBACK WITH RECONSTRUCTION DUE TO COPPER THIEVES.

SINCE THIS LAST STA REQUEST, THE LICENSEE HAS RETAINED THE SERVICES OF CONSULTING RON RACKLEY OF DU TREIL, LUNDIN & RACKLEY, INC. MR. RACKLEY HAS BEEN IN CONTACT WITH COMMISSION STAFF MEMBERS SON NGUYEN AND JOE SZCZESNY REGARDING OPERATION OF AN AM STATIONS ON STAS BECAUSE OF DAMAGED ANTENNA SYSTEMS AND LICENSEE DECISIONS ABOUT WHETHER TO REPLACE THEIR FORMER DIRECTIONAL ANTENNA SYSTEMS AS THEY WERE OR MODIFY THEM. AS DISCUSSED, THE ALLOCATION RULES THAT HAVE BEEN PROPOSED BY THE FCC IN THE AM REVITALIZATION RULEMAKING COULD MAKE IT POSSIBLE FOR A LICENSEE LIKE TYLER TO REBUILD ITS AM WITH IMPROVED AND/OR MORE ECONOMICAL ANTENNA SYSTEMS. WITH THE IMPLEMENTATION OF THE NEW AM RULES, MR. RACKLEY WILL HAVE A BETTER IDEA AS TO WHETHER THE KOKC (AM) SYSTEM CAN IMPLEMENT A DESIGN WHICH BETTER ITS THE NEW AM RULES. ONCE THAT DETERMINATION CAN BE MADE, TYLER WILL PROCEED UPON THE RECOMMENDATIONS OF MR. RACKLEY AND SHALL FILE THE REQUISITE 301 APPLICATION FOR KOKC (AM).

UNDER THE UNIQUE CIRCUMSTANCE OF THE CASE AND BECAUSE OF TYLER'S CONTINUED PUBLIC SERVICE WITH KOKC (AM) TO THE RESIDENTS OF OKLAHOMA CITY, GOOD CAUSE EXISTS FOR THE EXTENSION OF THE PRESENT KOKC (AM) STA. AS SUCH, THE TYLER RESPECTFULLY REQUESTS A SIX (6) MONTH EXTENSION OF THIS INSTANT STA.

I noticed this last week that KOKC has started simulcasting on their 250w 95.3 translator. They seemed to switch between calling themselves 95.3 KOKC, 1520 KOKC, and combining the two. It looks like they are trying to push both listeners to the FM translator instead of rebuilding their 1520 towers. It makes me sad every time I pass by their transmitter location in Moore on my way to my dad's house.

This is so disappointing!! I hope they can get back up and running at full power, but its not looking good. Thank you to all, that have kept us updated on the latest news.

It looks like KOKC (still KOMA to me) is preparing to operate non-directional permanently rather than rebuild their directional array. From an August 23 letter to the FCC: This is in reference to the request filed on July 25, 2018. TML (Tyler Media LLC) requests an extension of the STA granted on January 17, 2012, as modified to operate ND using one reconstructed tower pending filing of the required FCC Form 301 application due to destruction of the former three tower array.

Form 301 is to be used to apply for authority to construct a new commercial AM, FM, or TV broadcast station or to make changes in the existing facilities of such a station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom