The Edge is no more! - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Edge is no more!

About 5 years ago, there was a rumor that iHeart would take KEGL country, though it obviously never happened. Seems like it might be a possibility for 102.1. The one thing that makes me think it won't be country, however, is that all Christmas hurts country almost as much as it does AC. Launching a country format now might not be a good idea since the audience is a little smaller this time of year.

I could also see an AC format to shore up its wall of women, though urban would be possible, too. Another dark horse format that comes to mind is classic hits. KLUV is usually one of CBS's best performers, and they knew it would go all Christmas. Launching a classic hits format while the competition is away might be smart.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    Launching a classic hits format while the competition is away might be smart.
    It's not really a priority at iHeart, and not typically much of a money maker. They're a cross-platform company that is looking to promote their more aggressive brands of CHR, Urban, and Country, which are formats with a large percentage of currents. Current hits attract current artists to perform in their annual festivals. The growth area at iHeart is festival money.

Moderator/Assistant Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent View Post
    I could also see an AC format to shore up its wall of women,
    I looked at the weather and there seems to be a light wind or whatever you call it blowing into the Metroplex.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

I looked at the weather and there seems to be a light wind or whatever you call it blowing into the Metroplex.
    102.1 The Breeze?? Similar to what started up in San Francisco? http://981thebreeze.iheart.com/

"102.1 The Breeze" ....sad day for classic alternative and the Gen-X audience.

Quote Originally Posted by billalm View Post
    The irony is their programming management is becoming increasingly Gen-X.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

Maybe....their ACs are among the biggest billers in the country. But imagine moving the iHeartCountry Festival from Austin to AT&T Stadium in Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by billalm View Post
    Not for me. I still stream 101X, 103.3 the App, and Pandora off my phone in the car so not a total loss for me.

It is a sad day, but the Edge was a shadow of its former self and a change was needed.

I've been saying for years that the playlist had gotten stale with too much grunge/90s and not enough currents. You could hit the button on the station and there was a 1-in-3 chance you'd hear a Beastie Boys song. Toward the end they started mixing in more currents, but I think by that time most of its listeners had jumped ship for good. I figured something would move on this soon because the Edge and Eagle's playlists were very similar.

I honestly have no idea what iHeart will do with the frequency.
    FM 89X Modern Rock & Classic Alternative

Quote Originally Posted by Triple Fake Jerry View Post

I've been saying for years that the playlist had gotten stale with too much grunge/90s and not enough currents.
    Unfortunately current alternative music is no longer a mass media format. You have individual bands playing to their fan bases. That's great for personal playlists. Bad when you're looking for consensus music that non-specific fans can like, and hold them through the commercial breaks. The old hits had the ability to do that. The currents, if they actually are hits, are being co-opted by other formats. This is mainly a music problem, not a radio problem.

If I had to guess, I would say AC because there is no pure AC or Soft AC in the market since KVIL changed.
    Idiots abound!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast