• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Edge is no more!

This is a very sad day.

Is this a sign of things to come for the Alternative format?

With Gen X-ers getting older, you would think that an alternative format would be in every major market, a la Classic Rock in the mid-90s.

Since the old Edge website URL currently redirects to the Eagle website, it makes it a little harder to find the audio player for the 102.1 frequency during the stunting period.

Through the magic of the cached website for The Edge (KDGE), below is the link to the 102.1 audio player to hear the loop of Semisonic's 1998 song "Closing Time"
followed by the new format debut at 5 PM CST on Thu. 11/17/2016:

http://www.iheart.com/live/1021-the-edge-2815/?autoplay=true&pname=779&campid=header&cid=index.html

The above URL address is likely to change with the new format - maybe immediately, maybe not...stay tuned.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

The direct streaming URL to plug in to the audio player of your choice is linked below (copy + paste ONLY - do not attempt to open in a browser window):

http://kdge-fm.akacast.akamaistream.net/7/259/20088/v1/auth.akacast.akamaistream.net/kdge-fm

Last edited:
I was a bit surprised by this move. It seems to me like iHeart decided they only needed one rock station in DFW and figured this would help the Eagle while they could go after a different audience with something else on 102.1. I agree that there's a market hole for a true AC format since KVIL flipped. That would seem logical, but who knows. I don't see a need for an urban format or a country format. Country would maybe make more sense than urban, but not as much sense as an AC station.

We'll find out at 5pm today.

Try 102-1 The Breeze. The 1021thebreeze.com domain was registered today as well.:cool:

Looks like the wind blew away the clouds in the market, and now we can see the night sky.

Which explains the KLUV Christmas switch yesterday, but if you're iheart why go all Christmas? If you really wanted to grab the a/c listeners, wouldn't you have launched right into the format?

What's the bigger brand? AC or Christmas?

Which explains the KLUV Christmas switch yesterday, but if you're iheart why go all Christmas? If you really wanted to grab the a/c listeners, wouldn't you have launched right into the format?

Well, maybe not. Lots of cross-over between listeners of AC and Christmas music. If "Star" launched playing Kelly Clarkson, many in their target are going to be listening to KLUV during this season.

Last edited:
Well, maybe not. Lots of cross-over between listeners of AC and Christmas music. If "Star" launched playing Kelly Clarkson, many in their target are going to be listening to KLUV during this season.

But here's my point. If I was iheart, I would have gone after the ac target demo right away. That way I'd already have an edge (no pun intended) on whatever CBS brings to the table after Christmas. Doing this will only negate any numbers you get over the Holiday book. Especially when KLUV has a history of blowing everyone out in the Holiday book.

HeartMedia Dallas announced today the debut of Star 102.1, the new home of Mainstream Adult Contemporary (AC) for Dallas Fort Worth. The station kicks off today at 5 p.m. commercial-free featuring around-the-clock Christmas music through the holiday season.

Shortly after Christmas, Star 102.1 will play hits from major artists like Madonna, Maroon 5, Michael Jackson, and Kelly Clarkson. The full programming lineup will be announced soon.

“We are excited to introduce the New Star 102.1 to our listeners! We believe this format will resonate well with the Dallas/Fort Worth audience and is a great complement to our other stations in the market,” said Patrick Davis, Senior Vice President of Programming for iHeartMedia Dallas Fort Worth. “While we are kicking off commercial free with Christmas music, we can’t wait to reveal the station’s full programming lineup in the upcoming weeks.”

97.1 The Eagle will become Dallas Fort Worth’s official home to all things rock, now featuring music from former Alternative Rock station, The Edge, including hits from artists such as Green Day, Stone Temple Pilots, Nirvana, and Red Hot Chili Peppers.

iHeartMedia is a leading media outlet in the Dallas market and its content is available across multiple platforms, including its broadcast station; online via its branded digital site; mobile; and social, with nationwide listening through iHeartRadio, the all-in-one streaming music and live radio service – with its more than a billion downloads and 90 million registered users. Fans can listen to 102.1 and 97.1 on the stations’ websites at KEGL.com and star1021online.com, and on iHeartRadio.

So long, Edge.

This is a little surprising, I must say.

Weren't many fans of the old KVIL already tuning into KDMX by default? iHeart's research must've shown otherwise.

I presume their goal in DFW is to replicate the CHR - Hot AC - Adult Contemporary wall they've built so adeptly in Los Angeles.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom