• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRCA 1330 going off the air temporarily

Depends on the market size, but I think one company can own up to 8 stations in a market.

In a major market like Boston, the cap is 8. Max of 2 TV or 5 radio in any one service. Translators do not count against the cap.

Because WROR leans more toward classic rock albeit sanitized. I'm thinking more top 40 oldies like the old wimmmex.

Demographic too old?

While you and I would love that...I think the format would tend to take audience from WROR....which is having it's day in the sun with older demos.

That's my take anyway...but what do I know! ;-)

Last edited:
I can't give too many details and I don't know the format but am hearing in a month or so a station nr the middle of the FM dial could well be changing format. And it isn't Beasley or CBS.

I can't give too many details and I don't know the format but am hearing in a month or so a station nr the middle of the FM dial could well be changing format. And it isn't Beasley or CBS.
Hmmm......
Depending on if you consider 88.1 or 92.1 the lower end of the dial—i.e., the whole dial or just the commercial real estate—the midpoint would be either 98.0 or 100.1, which suggests either 99.1 or 101.7.
Well, letʼs see.
We have 99.1, which has its “12 Days Of Chri$tmx”, after which is a prime time for a flip.
And we have 101.7, which has been country for a couple of years now, so that (recently) volatile frequency is due for a change.

98.0?If we were playing the Price is Right's Clock Game I'd say, lower. I said near. i-Heart or Plymouth, no..I consider the low end as 88.

Last edited:
97.7, 99.1 or 99.5 seem to meet the criteria, and since 99.5 is a noncomm (not to mention the WCRB legacy "written in stone" classical format), that leaves only 97.7 and 99.1. Hard to imagine the WAAF folks wanting to blow up a station that requires no additional staffing to run, so what's next for 99.1? Something that will skew younger and attract those youth-obsessed advertisers, perhaps? Or might WAAF itself be about to dump dying, splintered active rock for something more rhythmic?

Breaking up is hard to do but by some time next month it could happen..we don't know format or exact time.I would think 107.3 stays same and 97.7 tries a different format..If it makes $ they could try to hire
or do a Mike again? Even that, nr the end, had a few workers.

Ent. supposedly constructing a sep. studio and has a consultant.Flip sometime next month.Another revenue stream? Maybe time to be on lookout for domain name registrations.

WCRB is not written in stone

97.7, 99.1 or 99.5 seem to meet the criteria, and since 99.5 is a noncomm (not to mention the WCRB legacy "written in stone" classical format), that leaves only 97.7 and 99.1. Hard to imagine the WAAF folks wanting to blow up a station that requires no additional staffing to run, so what's next for 99.1? Something that will skew younger and attract those youth-obsessed advertisers, perhaps? Or might WAAF itself be about to dump dying, splintered active rock for something more rhythmic?

There's no reason to suppose WGBH would abandon WCRB's classical format, but there's nothing hindering them from doing so. Ted Jones's will applied to 102.5, which wasn't supposed to be sold, or changed to a non-classical format, for 100 years. But minority stockholders found a provision in MA law that allowed them to force the sale of the station to the late Greater Media, Inc in 2006. It was Nassau's continuation of the format on 99.5 that WGBH bought three years later. Nassau had considered flipping the station to sports-talk, and there's nothing stopping WGBH from changing WCRB's format today if it ever wanted to do so.

It's off the air again. I guess that they were just testing their transmitter, or just had to go on the air because of legal reasons.

It's off the air again. I guess that they were just testing their transmitter, or just had to go on the air because of legal reasons.

Under a STA they can be dark for a year, no reason to fire up unless you are up against that deadline, and then you have to refile for another years "grace"

All I can think of is that they were testing the new path from the Beasley complex in Dorchester and tweaking it as needed.

The WRCA transmitter setup, sharing the antenna farm with WUNR (the site owner) and WXKS-AM (1200 AM) (tenant) is less than 10 years old and was done by IIRC Grady Moates's Loud and Clean Sound so you know it was done right.

CCM is a format hole, but you'd want a signal with solid suburban coverage and 106.1 couldn't be further from it.

I'm convinced Spanish tropical, modeled after Beasley's 92.5 Maxima in Tampa Bay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom