• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

96.7 Pirate in Framingham

There seems to be a pirate station on 96.7 in Framingham, playing Spanish music. I'm surprised there would be one of those here. Anyone know anything about it?

With the near flood of FM translators coming on.....it's getting hard to tell who's wearing the "white hats"...!!
I'm assuming this "pirate" has run no "legal ID"....and perhaps keeps talk to a minimum or totally absent....
The influx of Chinese "transmitters" has made it easy to bootleg....and potentially wreak havoc in certain geographic areas....

I guess these days the pirates are all gunning for Top Ten markets.
Boston, New York, Houston.

Have not heard one on the air in Pittsburgh in over a decade.

I guess these days the pirates are all gunning for Top Ten markets.
Boston, New York, Houston.

Have not heard one on the air in Pittsburgh in over a decade.

Several of them in the Hartford area, all doing Spanish-language preaching or tropical music. None of them as professional-sounding as the notorious Boston urban music FMs, but they're easily heard on FM and the AM expanded band..

Several of them in the Hartford area, all doing Spanish-language preaching or tropical music. None of them as professional-sounding as the notorious Boston urban music FMs, but they're easily heard on FM and the AM expanded band..

I know of two in Hartford that play Reggae and other music from the Islands down there - 101.7 and 103.3 - 103.3 is super powerful.

Seize their equipment

Thinking the two stations Marc mentioned are law priority and generating few if any complaints. There are no adjacent-channel signals in the market, and the second adjacents for 101.7 aren't in market (WKCI 101.3 Hamden (New Haven) and WAQY 102.1 Springfield). 103.3 has WDRC-FM 102.9 second channel down, so maybe that will be the one eventually taken down.

Thinking the two stations Marc mentioned are law priority and generating few if any complaints.

That is the bleeping problem, the FCC doesn't care until something goes wrong or a licensee complains.

ALL pirates need to be treated equally, swiftly shut down, equipment forfeited, and people jailed.

They are low priority until their crap equipment starts taking public safety radios off the air, or screwing with the ground radios at one of airports close by.... and both those instances have happened.

That is the bleeping problem, the FCC doesn't care until something goes wrong or a licensee complains.

ALL pirates need to be treated equally, swiftly shut down, equipment forfeited, and people jailed.

They are low priority until their crap equipment starts taking public safety radios off the air, or screwing with the ground radios at one of airports close by.... and both those instances have happened.

That and the fact that it takes away from legal broadcasters who went through the actual trouble to get licensed.

There are too many to count in the Worcester area. At last listen I have heard pirates at 93.5, 102.9 and 105.5. Many of these have been around for a long while. In fact 105.5 interferes with WROR quite a bit in many areas of the city.

Yesterday afternoon, I also heard what seemed like a pirate operating at 102.1 in Worcester. WAQY used to come in loud and clear in the city. The pirate operators are getting more brazen than ever and there seems to be little or no enforcement of the rules.

Add another pirate in the south east side of Worcester at 102.3. I even heard a commercial for a financial type service company geared towards the Ghanaian community in the city.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom