• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Radio host (Opie) ‘blindsided’ by new afternoon time slot" on Sirius

Surprised he's still around at SXM, especially since he was an XM pre-Sirius-takeover hire -- an attempt to soften the hit from losing out to Sirius on Stern -- and almost all of the people now in charge at SXM who were on board before the takeover are Sirius hires, not XM.

http://pagesix.com/2016/10/03/radio-host-blindsided-by-new-afternoon-time-slot/

"Jim Norton, who’s been co-hosting with Hughes since Anthony Cumia was fired over racist tweets in 2014, will take the morning slot with Sam Roberts."

Not surprised...the Opie of 2016 is much different than 10 years ago. Apparently he had become a bit difficult to work with and...with age, marriage, and children, one frequently becomes "soft". Plus, Opie didn't seem to have good chemistry with just Jim Norton.

You'll see O&A pop on one another's shows throughout the year Opie is contracted to afternoons on SXM -- would not be surprised if either Opie goes to Anthony's online platform or (more likely if SXM OK's it) Ant goes back on satellite...Anthony takes early afternoons for an hour or two, a couple hours together during drive time, Opie takes late afternoons-early evenings.

Everyone's a winner...except 'lil Jimmy Norton who probably could care less.

Radio-X

How long do you think Jim Norton and Sam Roberts will last? I don't think the show will last long?

A year or two.

Opie signed for a year (I think). He won't be able to eat much more than a year's worth of humble pie in afternoons. Unless him and Anthony work something out with management, he's outta SXM. His ego just won't take not being top banana (even though the channel is named after him still).

If for some reason O&A return to SXM, expect Jim and Sam to go to afternoons. They'll last another year there.

If not, Jim stays in the mornings either on a revamped channel or on Raw Dog...

Radio-X

Let's review:

Opie was a ****** to work with (from on-air tirades to stories from an endless litany of disgruntled former producers). Anthony was a drunk racist. Jimmy and Sam were the only ones who were sane. This should end well.

Let's review:

Opie was a ****** to work with (from on-air tirades to stories from an endless litany of disgruntled former producers). Anthony was a drunk racist. Jimmy and Sam were the only ones who were sane. This should end well.

Opie and Anthony were talented. No one is going to listen to Sam, and I don't think Norton is a good host.

I agree. But you also have to sound good on radio to carry the show. Listening to a middle-aged O&A, or even them separate are way better than Jim Norton and Sam Roberts because they don't have the sound, from a nasal perspective in my opinion, to carry an entire show. They have more of a podcast feel.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom