• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best of Car Talk

staggmovie

Star Participant
Does anybody know of how many NPR stations left that still airs repeats of Best of Car Talk. I have seen that today KNKX in Seattle has announced that they are ending repeats of it, even through they will planing to end repeats of the show next September anyways. But now it will end on September 24th, will be the last broadcast of Car Talk hosted by Tom and Ray Magliozzi (The Tappet Brothers). And since they retired from doing the show 4 years ago, instead old segments started airing. And Tom Magliozzi died almost 2 years ago. Another station that I know that no longer airs the show is WBEZ in Chicago as of earlier this year. When the show became Best of WBEZ moved it to Sunday afternoons at 5:00 P.M. and moved Wait Wait Don't Tell Me into its 9:00 A.M. slot until earlier this year when they moved it back to its 10:00 A.M. airing that were it was, and also stopped airing repeats of the show.

Almost all NPR stations still air Car Talk at least once per week.

Another note:"Best of Car Talk" will continue to be distributed by NPR until the end of September, 2017, not 2016 as suggested by stagg. Still another year of best-ofs.

Another note:"Best of Car Talk" will continue to be distributed by NPR until the end of September, 2017, not 2016 as suggested by stagg. Still another year of best-ofd.

I had thought you misread my post but here is on Car Talk from the article

We’ve also made the tough decision to stop broadcasting The Best of Car Talk. Saturday, September 24th will be the last show. 88.5 has aired Car Talk with Tom and Ray Magliozzi (The Tappet Brothers) since 1987. With the passing of Tom in November of 2014, NPR mined the show’s 30-year archives to create The Best of Car Talk. Car Talk has not created a new show in four years, and this summer NPR announced that it would stop production of The Best of Car Talk in September 2017. We are honored to have been part of Car Talk’s incredible run on public radio.

Almost all NPR stations still air Car Talk at least once per week.

Should read many stations that used to air "Car Talk" first run, still run repeats. Many NPR member stations do not have news and information formats and air music programming. These stations do not even air Morning Edition and All Things Considered. Many others do block programming, which might or might not have included "Car Talk."

Neither WNYC, WNYC-FM or NJPR carry "Car Talk."
Neither does WHYY-FM, Philadelphia.

I had thought you misread my post but here is on Car Talk from the article
Well, I guess I did - you were writing about KNKX no longer airing Car Talk after the end of the month, I thought you were talking about NPR no longer producing re-runs.

Some line breaks would make your posts easier to read, FYI.

And I thought you did to, until I looked back at the article and they did mention NPR said they would stop airing in September of 2017 so if you have been a big fan of Car Talk you been listen to another station or on podcast while you still can.

Also, both of the Tappet Brothers had a guest appearance as themselves on a PBS (NPR's "sister" network) show (of course when Tom was still around).

My local 89.7 WUSF-FM still airs it though.

Also, both of the Tappet Brothers had a guest appearance as themselves on a PBS (NPR's "sister" network) show (of course when Tom was still around).

My local 89.7 WUSF-FM still airs it though.

PBS is not a "sister network." The two are completely separate organizations, in accordance with the "wisdom" of the people who wrote the public broadcasting act. There is no such thing as a "PBS show." PBS is a distribution agency only. They do not create, produce or fund programs.

What I meant was a WGBH-TV-produced program (PBS can't make shows, but member statons could on their own and/or syndicate it to other markets), and the Car Talk hosts made a guest appearence on one of the shows WGBH syndicates. This show is also popular for recently introducing the so-called "fist meme" from a show made by WGBH.

WNPR Connecticut Public Radio has cut airings to once a week. Saturdays at 10AM. Used to be Saturdays and Sundays.

Another Connecticut NPR network owned by Sacred Heart University still carry Car Talk.

91.1 WSHU-FM Saturdays at 10AM
1260 WSHU Saturdays at 10AM
103.3 WQQQ Saturdays at 10AM
89.9 WSUF Saturdays at 10AM
88.1 WESU Satudays at 10AM (Affiliated with WSHU, but also runs their own College Programming)

New England Public Radio in Springfield, MA still airs it Saturdays at 11AM. WFCR 88.5, but it's no longer airing on WNNZ AM 640.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom