• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Dead new radio station only plays artists who are no longer with us

I would think this would combine so many different music genres it would not satisfy many people and/or drive most people away.

Just for grins though I am wondering which genre has the most dead performers. Jazz or Country?

I would think this would combine so many different music genres it would not satisfy many people and/or drive most people away.

Just for grins though I am wondering which genre has the most dead performers. Jazz or Country?
I'd say jazz, because it's been performed and recorded in many more countries than country music has, and because it is almost always performed by combos or even orchestras, while many country recordings -- especially early ones -- consisted of just a singer accompanying him/herself or backed by one or two musicians.

As for the concept, I read the article and I'm still not sure how it would work. Would it play Beatles records on which John or George sang but not Paul or Ringo? Or would it only play records that were credited to John or George as solo artists? And no Everly Brothers until Don Everly dies? No Sonny & Cher until Cher passes on?

Last edited:
This sounds like a good stunt to do on Halloween or on a weekend for an oldies station. I'm not sure if I would work as a format but it is something different. Country has to be second on the most dead performers. Classical has be on the top 5 list.

I'd say jazz, because it's been performed and recorded in many more countries than country music has, and because it is almost always performed by combos or even orchestras, while many country recordings -- especially early ones -- consisted of just a singer accompanying him/herself or backed by one or two musicians.

As for the concept, I read the article and I'm still not sure how it would work. Would it play Beatles records on which John or George sang but not Paul or Ringo? Or would it only play records that were credited to John or George as solo artists? And no Everly Brothers until Don Everly dies? No Sonny & Cher until Cher passes on?

You raise some good points but I was thinking of primary artists and not backups. As for acts like Everly Brothers, since one of them is no longer with us it seems it would qualify. To not include half of a duo/group would really limit the songs you could play under this format I think. Still seems rather grim though. Most people do not like to be reminded of their mortality.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom