• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 810

This is most evident when the names of US cities like Spokane, Worcester and New Orleans are pronounced in bizarre fashion.
I was recently informed that the original, and maybe still the correct, pronunciation of Detroit rhymes with Renior,
as in the artist, Pierre Auguste Renoir.

A new one for me in Pittsburgh this morning.

WWOS in St. George, South Carolina. Heard them clearly about 15 minutes before WEDO signed on.
Also there was something very faint underneath them in Spanish. I do not speak Spanish so I couldn't ID it.

All day, all night, all ZNS-3, all the time.
Strong signal all along Florida's southeast coast,
but horrible audio.

I was recently informed that the original, and maybe still the correct, pronunciation of Detroit rhymes with Renior,
as in the artist, Pierre Auguste Renoir.

Someone better tell Gordon Lightfoot - he pronounces it "Detroy-it"

Someone better tell Gordon Lightfoot - he pronounces it "Detroy-it"
My Mustang broke down in Michigan
I drove to Ford in Detroy-it
They told me that they could not help me
And that my car smelled a lot like shaving cream
Kelp yourself clean,
Shave every day and you'll always look keen.

Last edited:
In some parts of Ontario, that's how it's pronounced. It's his accent.

I thought French and French pronunciation was a big deal in Canada. I doubt French people pronounce it Detroy-it.

I thought French and French pronunciation was a big deal in Canada. I doubt French people pronounce it Detroy-it.

Outside of the Francophone areas of Canada, there are plenty of Canadians who do not speak French and don't pronounce French words with any degree of proficiency.

Lightfoot's way of saying Detroit is just one example of the accent in part of Ontario. I supoose you know that Canada has different ways of saying some things than use Yanks do, eh?

The "part of Ontario" that we're talking about is Orillia, Ontario, a little over an hour north of Toronto. Nice town in a beatiful setting on a large lake. Gateway to the "cottage country" northwoods resort area chock full of lakes and summer cottages. The movie "Meatballs" with Bill Murray was filmed not far from Orillia.

From a DX standpoint, Orillia was home of CFOR/1570, which was a fairly easy catch here in the Chicago area. Especially after XERF became a shadow of its former self. Even when XERF was running full power, CFOR would often sneak in.

I always thought that Gordon Lightfoot was trying to match the pronunciation of Detroit to match the number of syllables that fit best.

The first times I heard CFOR, it was just 1000 watts nondirectional at Night. That sometimes would dominate the 1570 channel, even after CHLO moved to 1570.

Did anyone mention that Gordon Lightfoot is from Orillia? For a while, in the late 1960s, he lived in Detroit, not far from the Mariners' Church, with Joni and Chuck Mitchell. They were playing the coffee house circuit in Detroit area venues, and in Flint, Ann Arbor and possibly other areas of Michigan.

Last edited:

Outside of the Francophone areas of Canada, there are plenty of Canadians who do not speak French and don't pronounce French words with any degree of proficiency.

Lightfoot's way of saying Detroit is just one example of the accent in part of Ontario. I supoose you know that Canada has different ways of saying some things than use Yanks do, eh?

David is 100% right here. Outside of Quebec, Eastern Ontario near the border and northern New Brunswick you're not going to hear much French. The pronunciation has nothing to do with French. Gordon Lightfoot is indeed from Orillia and that whole region of Ontario calls it Detroyit..even Don Cherry from Hockey Night In Canada says it that way. Even in Canada there are different accents. People in Newfoundland not only have their own distinct accents (kind of Irish sounding) they have their own dictionary.

David is 100% right here. Outside of Quebec, Eastern Ontario near the border and northern New Brunswick you're not going to hear much French. The pronunciation has nothing to do with French. Gordon Lightfoot is indeed from Orillia and that whole region of Ontario calls it Detroyit..even Don Cherry from Hockey Night In Canada says it that way. Even in Canada there are different accents. People in Newfoundland not only have their own distinct accents (kind of Irish sounding) they have their own dictionary.

And just for fun, tell someone in Montréal that their French is not "true" Parisian French.

I learned some years ago that Newfoundland English is considered a dialect, not an accent and I have been witness to the different vocabulary and word usage. I had friends from Nova Scotia, and even they had some interesting accent and word usage variants.

And just for fun, tell someone in Montréal that their French is not "true" Parisian French.

I learned some years ago that Newfoundland English is considered a dialect, not an accent and I have been witness to the different vocabulary and word usage. I had friends from Nova Scotia, and even they had some interesting accent and word usage variants.

That's true, many consider them to speak a dialect, and it does have a distinct accent as well. Nova Scotians definitely sound distinctive.

South of the Minnesota River (suburban Minneapolis)

Daytime - nothing (830 WCCO sometimes bleeds over this far)

Nightime - Kansas City

Here in Cincinnati. I don't get a radio station in the daytime, But in the nighttime. I get WGY as a weak or strong signal.
Daytime : None.
Nighttime : Sometimes 810 WGY and other nights are mixed, scrambled, small radio stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom