• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM Frequency of the Week: 800

Unless CKLW is on day pattern at night, there's absolutely no way you are getting them strong in Cincinnati. Maybe someone close by can confirm if CKLW's been having pattern issues.

I can't confirm anything. But I will say that CKLW's signal here does sometimes vary. Usually, as I said, it doesn't sound like 5,000 watts is being sent here. But once in a while it booms in. Sometimes it lasts for a day or two, but I can't recall the stronger signal for an extended period. So is it atmospheric conditions, pattern issue, or "forgetting" to go to the night pattern? I honestly have no idea.

CKLW 800 off the air. CKWW 580 presently broadcasting CKLW programming. Transmitter fire at Harrow.

http://windsor.ctvnews.ca/am800-is-...tation-am580-after-transmitter-fire-1.3392792

Yikes! Wonder if CKWW will get a Canadian version of an STA to go non-directional or something else to boost coverage.

Although, that said, as it is, CKWW has a fairly decent signal on the Canadian side. The bulk of the signal loss in the CKLW service area is that daytime lobe to the west-southwest. I don't think they really care about that any more. So, CKWW's coverage in the primary CKLW listening area should be reasonably adequate. Or as adequate as you can get with 500 watts versus 50,000!

Update:

CKLW was back on last night/this morning. I heard about 20 minutes of George Noory (sp?) and a positive ID. The signal was about like it usually is, weak to fair, but more or less steady. It was mixing with a religious broadcast that was mostly underneath, but also steady for the most part. I wasn't able to ID that one, but it made me wonder if PJB was back up and running. I suppose it also could have been XEROK, but the past few times I've heard them, they were in Spanish with music programming.

From the Chicago area you might have had WKZI. Casey, IL.

Update:

CKLW was back on last night/this morning. I heard about 20 minutes of George Noory (sp?) and a positive ID. The signal was about like it usually is, weak to fair, but more or less steady. It was mixing with a religious broadcast that was mostly underneath, but also steady for the most part. I wasn't able to ID that one, but it made me wonder if PJB was back up and running. I suppose it also could have been XEROK, but the past few times I've heard them, they were in Spanish with music programming.

From the Chicago area you might have had WKZI. Casey, IL.

I've never heard WKZI here, but that's very plausible. I'm unclear whether PJB is even back on. I've heard they were coming back, but even if they are, are they at fully authorized power? I'm planning to keep checking 800 for the next few nights at least, and I''ll see if I can catch an ID from the religious station.

I've never heard WKZI here, but that's very plausible. I'm unclear whether PJB is even back on. I've heard they were coming back, but even if they are, are they at fully authorized power? I'm planning to keep checking 800 for the next few nights at least, and I''ll see if I can catch an ID from the religious station.

My understanding is that TWR is on, but with just 100 kw. They are fund-raising to rebuild at 450 kw, directional towards Cuba.

My understanding is that TWR is on, but with just 100 kw. They are fund-raising to rebuild at 450 kw, directional towards Cuba.

Thanks David. I think 100kw from Bonaire would still be doable around here. Especially when conditions are such as to create a good path to the south. So the next question becomes, "If the goal is to project brute force directly at Cuba, would they even be broadcasting currently in English?"

I'm going to be at our usual family beach getaway spot directly on the gulf near Pensacola in July, so I'm already anxious to hear what turns up when I'm there.

Last edited:
Their website reports the 450kW transmitter was ordered April 21. Some were reporting Spanish language religion on 800 the night CKLW was off.

Thanks David. I think 100kw from Bonaire would still be doable around here. Especially when conditions are such as to create a good path to the south. So the next question becomes, "If the goal is to project brute force directly at Cuba, would they even be broadcasting currently in English?"

I don't think they have done any English for many years... since the 500 kw rig became unsustainable. The only nearby English country is Jamaica, which is a very small population.

They had been devoting much of the effort to Brazil, using a directional system. But Brazilian listening moved very rapidly to FM in the 80's and AM is very much dead there... so much so that Brazil is in some stage of a new separate FM service for AM stations to migrate to if they last that long.

So the new opportunity is Cuba, where FM is underdeveloped and an FM receiver costs more than a month's salary. The issue will be whether Cuba jams them... they may not if they keep the broadcasts purely religious

...so I'm already anxious to hear what turns up when I'm there.
It is unfortunate that you would feel uneasy, worried, apprehensive about this.
You probably mean the second definition: desire to do something, typically accompanied by unease.

anx·i·e·ty - aNGˈzīədē - noun
1. a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome.
"he felt a surge of anxiety"
synonyms: worry, concern, apprehension, apprehensiveness, uneasiness, unease, fearfulness, fear, disquiet, disquietude, inquietude, perturbation, agitation, angst, misgiving, nervousness, nerves, tension, tenseness

2. desire to do something, typically accompanied by unease.
"the housekeeper's eager anxiety to please"
synonyms: eagerness, keenness, desire
"an anxiety to please"

3. PSYCHIATRY
a nervous disorder characterized by a state of excessive uneasiness and apprehension, typically with compulsive behavior or panic attacks.

Last edited:
It is unfortunate that you would feel uneasy, worried, apprehensive about this.
You probably mean the second definition: desire to do something, typically accompanied by unease.

Huh? Maybe I unintentionally misspoke. The only time I ever felt nervous when reaching for a radio dial was the night when the draft lottery was broadcast live! ....LOL

Maybe I should have said I'm already CURIOUS to hear what turns up next time I'm on the Gulf. As in "looking forward to the experience". Should be fun!

Meanwhile since David has informed us that PJB is no longer broadcasting in English, we can rule them out as the religious station I've been hearing on 800 these past few pre-sunrise mornings. Today, it was CKLW mostly alone with a fair signal.

Many, many, many people use anxious for eager.
My whole life is correcting them.

Many, many, many people use anxious for eager.
My whole life is correcting them.

I always was "anxious" about what I might hear after midnight EST on Monday mornings. There might have been a dozen DX tests scheduled, and conditions could ruin the chance to hear some of them. Or another closer-by station might come on to test, blocking the special programs. And then there was the chance of hearing the regularly scheduled frequency checks... would I be able to get some? And if there was a rare TP opening, would I have the time to log everything that was available and get enough to send a reception report?

That was enough to make any DXer anxious. :)

Let me rephrase that,
People are too eager to say that they are anxious.

I hope to hear them in WA, especially since 710 and 1180 Cuba are so strong here at times.

Wonder if I'll hear this in Ohio? Not holding my breath but will be certain to check.

You should be able to. In the past when they were running 500 kW they were easily heard in the Chicago area on regular basis.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom