• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wnzz 950

I did hear a crystal clear gospel station ID'ing as WBFZ at 105.3 FM, though the Al broadcast media page says this is a translator for WALQ in carrville??

WBFZ is a Selma urban station. I don't think the translator has had time to get on the air yet… And with the signal WBFZ puts into Montgomery, I'm sure it won't last long if someone complains.

Question is, who will care enough to complain?

is WBFZ upping their transmitter power to reach prattville/montogmery or was it just due to the way the signal was carried by the atmosphere?

WBFZ has always been a 50,000 watt station, since they started back in 2001. Their coverage area continues to include Prattville and Montgomery. The programming is a hodgepodge of Urban, Blues, Southern Soul, Jazz, Talk and Gospel.

Dan <><

P.S. The ownership and their listeners in that area will care enough to complain, if this new translator causes any interference issues.

Last edited:
WBFZ has always been a 50,000 watt station, since they started back in 2001. Their coverage area continues to include Prattville and Montgomery. The programming is a hodgepodge of Urban, Blues, Southern Soul, Jazz, Talk and Gospel.

Dan <><

P.S. The ownership and their listeners in that area will care enough to complain, if this new translator causes any interference issues.

maybe it the antennae built into my back windshield, but i've never noticed this station before. their on air presentation is loose and sounds very much like an lpfm type operation.

Now for two predictions.

1. I look for the WNZZ studio to be relocated to West South Blvd.
2. I also look for the calls to change to WKX and some letter that's not already being used.

Dan <><

Last edited:
Now for two predictions.

1. I look for the WNZZ studio to be relocated to West South Blvd.
2. I also look for the calls to change to WKX and some letter that's not already being used.

Dan <><

1. if you mean where wkxn used to broadcast from, Not gonna happen.
the old shopping center by the truck stop is very close to being torn down, as the last tenant, family dollar, moved into a stand alone building, no other known tenants occupy that center that i know of.

2. more than likely they'll keep WNZZ, adding another WKX* call could be confusing if they run different programming.

Last edited:
maybe it the antennae built into my back windshield, but i've never noticed this station before. their on air presentation is loose and sounds very much like an lpfm type operation.

I didn't even know WBFZ was still on the air... lol :O

This radio station is staying put for years to come. The owner(s) will see to that. Most of the money used to keep WBFZ going, comes from their own pocket(s).

Dan <><

Last edited:
Autaugaville Radio effectively has two Montgomery-area outlets: Ft. Deposit's WKXN 95.7 (+102.7), and the new purchase of Montgomery's WNZZ 950 (+94.1). Neither are your ideal full-power, cover-the-market stations--but Montgomery's still a rated market.

I see why we'd collectively assume another WKX-blank simulcast partner, but how sure are we of that? Miller may have been doing his urban hybrid of blues, Urban gospel, and hip-hop because that was the only/best way to make his mark with the stations he had. Now, he's got some options. He can apply Blues/R&B Oldies fulltime on one station (say, 950/94.1) and maybe gospel (95.7/102.7) on the other--both paired to share local/regional ad sales. Or if he's really daring, he might create some Montgomery car dealer's preferred country or classic rock station.

I say all of that to point to the real 'oddball' which is not the 102.7 translator, but the full-power WKXK 96.7 Pine Hill. Do you keep it simulcasting one of the Montgomery stations? Do you go with an independent format specifically targeting Black Belt listeners southwest of Selma? Do you keep it at all, seeing if someone's willing to buy it (making some of your purchase money back)?

Last edited:
The best bet for Roscoe would be to keep 96.7/102.7 R&B/oldies Full Time and 94.1/950 become Urban Hip Hip with gospel on sundays
otherwise montgomery would be flooded with 3 Urban Gospel stations (4 if you count hot 105's sunday morning programming).

Here's what I see happening.

1. WKXN 95.7 FM Ft. Deposit/Greenville will stay as is.
2. WKXK 96.7 FM Pine Hill will stay as is.
3. The new 950 AM/94.1 FM broadcast will become another clone for those two stations.
4. The 102.7 FM relay will be paired up with some other radio station from Montgomery.

Hot 105.7 hasn't done a Sunday Gospel show, since Hallelujah came on a few years back. Their Sunday programming consists of Talk, Hip-Hop and R&B tunes.

Dan <><

Here's what I see happening.

4. The 102.7 FM relay will be paired up with some other radio station from Montgomery.

Dan <><

I Still say it should either be LMA'd back to cumulus for WLWI 1440 Am or could be leased to either Al Stroh or Terry Barber for use.

Or to WXVI for future use.

Dan <><

I forgot WXVI still exists, I looked them up and found a link to New Life Church, but they don't mention on their website about WXVI.

Even if 'XVi gets an FM signal, it's Gospel format would make a total of 4 Gospels stations in town (alongside 96.5, 99.3, 104.3).

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom