• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1400 Fort Lauderdale...going..going.....gone?

In case anyone cares I hear that 1400 is now Spanish simulcasting the Glades Media stations.

I haven't tuned in but I imagine 935...that's their Spanish one. WAFC is classic hits and wokc is country and the keys one is rock.

My bad. I don't know why I had that mixed up. I really thought they owned 935

Speaking of WAFC and Glades Media: they are infact, running WAFZ AM1490/FM92.1 on WFLL 1400 AM, for those of you that asked on other threads. If you punch up WFLL on a radio, then pull up La Ley (which brands as 92.1 because of its FM translator), you'll see the programming matches (for those of you that don't speak/understand Spanish). But . . . WFLL has been off more than on lately, so it seems, Glades' programming on Jorgensen's station is just a temp place holder to put something over the air to move the needles while they test the equipment. And WFLL is fully installed and has new home at the WEXY 1520 AM transmitter site.

Thanks for the response.

I was in South Florida a few days ago on family business. It was just a couple of days so my schedule was tight. Never heard anything on 1400 when I checked. I was smacked in the face with how much the area is changing. It felt a bit like the line from the Neil Diamond song "I Am I Said" ..."New York's home but it ain't mine no more".

Ha! Exactly. You & I have talked about those guys outside Knoxville running an oldies station on a similarly challenged AM. A former radio engineer and a few of his friends. There is a similar station outside Boston. It doesn't take much money these days. No reason why there can't be one in every city.

The guys "outside of Knoxville" are WKCE 1120 I would assume. The AM is a daytimer, so it is doubtful that there ever was any intention to run that as a stand alone AM - the FM translator was purchased at almost the same time. They ended up with a AM and a FM translator for less about $75K so they may do well at some point considering the relatively small investment.

The only real case to keep a dying AM at this point is to use it as a way to get a FM translator. A 1 KW AM with old equipment and ground systems has a very limited range, and unless it is now profitable a FM is usually the only chance to ever bring it back.

I was in South Florida a few days ago on family business. It was just a couple of days so my schedule was tight. Never heard anything on 1400 when I checked.

I would do some things that are considered old fashioned. Go to the Chamber of Commerce meetings, super serve Fort Lauderdale and start from there. Get some community involvement. Person to person research, talking to people not filling out surveys or asking canned questions, listening.

There is a large part of the population that's not being served, 50's and 60's would be a definite possibility but I might even expand that to some of the softer sounds from the '70's, '80's and '90's that you don't hear on the radio anymore. It would have to be mixed carefully, no slamming you with something from the '80's and then the '50's. A mix of old pro's and young people who aren't in it just for the money but because they have a passion for it. Face it in today's world there won't be a lot of money in it. I'd still rather work in radio than work at a McDonalds. More than just music though, old radio shows, new radio shows. Something produced by a local theater group or school. There is talent out there and they're better than you can imagine.

Try to keep automation to a minimum. At least one person should be there at all times, even if it's one of the news people. After all if something newsworthy is going on an automation system alone can't cover it. Sure people want to hear music, but they also want to know why traffic is being rerouted on a busy Saturday afternoon. Sure you can get the information on your cell phone but most times it can't tell you WHY.

News Department, hire a couple of real news hounds, guys who listen to the police scanner, cover school board and county commission meetings and are really connected to the community. Face it Fort Lauderdale has a lot of retired talent who aren't ready to hang up the headphones just yet, pros who come from all over the country. They might just want to add to their retirement fund. If they can't make too much, give them some restaurant trade or something.

Sales department, sell direct, keep it small, a mix of old pros and young people all hungry to do something. Management that can motivate, inspire, challenge and make it a fun experience.

Would it work? Who knows? It might be fun to give it a try!

The only real case to keep a dying AM at this point is to use it as a way to get a FM translator. A 1 KW AM with old equipment and ground systems has a very limited range, and unless it is now profitable a FM is usually the only chance to ever bring it back.

Are they still operating at reduced power? I put on 1400 this morning at around 7:30 on Commercial Blvd. near University and only got static. At one point they were operating at 500 watts, daytime only, which was done to keep the license from automatically expiring due to it being silent for so long.

If Glades Media will be the owner and/or operator, I believe they will need to either have studios in the market (WEXY's new digs?) or get a waiver from the FCC to operate from their studios in Clewiston.

As for WAFC . . . they don't really brand themselves as a South Florida station. Even their imaging says 'we're rocking the Glades!'

I wouldn't mind hearing the Classic Hits format they have on WAFC duplicated on WFLL but if they stick with WAFZ's programming it will fill a niche in Broward.

Getting further off topic, I though Scott Shannon's True Oldies Channel on WAFC was superior to the Westwood One format they currently air. Too bad he gave it up, but he certainly had a good reason!

Yes, as it was discussed on other threads. You are right "stangelove": WFLL is NOT operating at its full 1,000 watts. It is STILL (when it is on the air) at reduced power at this time, which I believe is 500 watts, as you said. I actually think it's more like 250w.

Glades Media does not own WFLL, nor can I find anything that shows they are going to purchase WFLL. It still shows as a Jorgenson Brokerage station, but unlike WMEN 640 and 850 WFTL, WFLL is NOT affiliated with Alpha Media (under the Palm Beach Broadcating flag).

Not sure what Jorgensen's "deal" is with Glades Media and WFLL carrying WAFZ "La Ley," if that is a permanent move, or temporary . . . and why Glades and NOT Alpha is piping in programming to WFLL.

YES, it would be nice to hear Oldies . . . whether it be Westwood One's oldies, via WAFC, or perhaps, now that Scott Shannon's True Oldies is back to terristial broadcasting via United Station's Network's, maybe they'd like to have a Miami Fort Lauderdale affiliate and WFLL 1400 can carry them.

WAFC is so far out in the sticks (of Clewiston) and barely audible in Northern Broward, via 590 AM (and you need a whip antenna to pick it up, a shark-fin or a windshield antenna doesn't pick it up), that it can't call itself a "South Florida" or even a "Tresure Coast" station. Its over 40 plus miles west of the West Palm market.

As for WFLL 1400's survival: As some else said on another thread (or was it this one), WFLL needs to align itself with an FM translator and rebrand as an FM. If not, and WFLL remains a stand-alone AM, it will NEEDS to broker airtime.

A thought: For a while, Alpha Media continued Palm Beach Broadcasting's 103 The Buzz internet stream (left over from 103.1 The Buzz when they purchased the station from CBS Radio). If they still have all that alternative rock loaded in a file server (it was all programmed locally with Mariah from Country WIRK 103.1 as its PD/MD, is my understanding), Jorgensen should have Alpha pipe alternative rock onto 1400 WFLL, BUT, that is contigent on it getting an FM translator . . . . Either that, or Oldies from Westwood One or United Radio Stations. BUT, with the rejection (for the most part) of that Soft AC version of "alternative" of the Shark 104.3 missing the mark with listeners, they're so hungry for a "real" alternative station (their words via social media platforms . . . not mine), listeners might brave the AM band . . . but with web streams and phone apps, WFLL could over come a lack of an FM translator.

Then again, if you got a bunch of radio old timers that wanted to set it up as a live and local outlet like Knoxville WKCE 1120 -- as a labor of love -- that would be nice, as well. SoFla, with the demise of Magic 102.7, could use an Oldies outlet playing 60s and 70s hits, with maybe a specialty show covering the 50s, with jocks who "talk to" their audience and not yell at them, and "communicate and relate" to the audience. Not everyone is on board with the Latin and Disco leaning version of the "Oldies" offered by 102.7 The Beach, so it could work.

Last edited:
Reached my "edit limit" on previous post . . . . so, new post . . . . I don't see any stand alone WEXY posts/threads . . . seems to fit here.

And since WEXY 1520 is all twisted into the WFLL 1400 tale . . . seen this on another thread . . . . regarding WFLL on the WEXY tower.

And WFLL is fully installed and has new home at the WEXY 1520 AM transmitter site.

Also, driving down I-95, I noticed WEXY's Blue and Red neon sign blazing. I did travel down Oakland Park and noticed WEXY is no longer in Wilton Manors in that dinky grey house. They are in new digs, tucked behind in a office park, behind Lowe's. I'll take a shot at a guess: Much like Jorgensen still owning and running WMEN 640 and WFTL 850, but having the studios set up inside Alpha Media's complex (the old one time CBS digs at Northpoiont Parkway) with that LMA . . . I wonder if Jorgensen will set up a similar deal with Mulitcultural Radio, that is, Jorgensen will finance the build of studios for WFLL 1400 inside WEXY's new offices . . . and they'll (MRBI/WEXY) will provide "production services" to Jorgensen.

In case anyone cares I hear that 1400 is now Spanish simulcasting the Glades Media stations.

Mike, Which Glades Media stations?

This ONE slipped through the cracks . . . . found this on INSIDE RADIO's November 3, 2016 "Deal Digest." Cut n' Pasting the important part (from Inside Radio) regarding a "new" WFLL development. Jorgensen HAS aligned WFLL with an FM translator after all. Now, it can rebrand as an FM. (It was on the November 4th "Station Sales of the Week" page on Radio Insight as well).

"Florida – Mark Jorgenson’s ACM JCE IV 4 files a $45,000 deal to purchase the Sebring, FL-licensed translator W223CB at 92.5 from Radio 74 Internationale (and the Radio 74 wikipage). Jorgenson tells the FCC he will use the translator to rebroadcast the currently silent WFLL (1400) in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale metro."

Of course, you'll notice the FCCdata.org (link above) page for W223CB links to W228DO 93.5 . . . . Its construction Permit expired on 12/24/2016. Transmitter is out by the Turnpike along Glades Road in Boca. Here's a list at Streaming Radio Guide of all the FCC applications involving Jorgensen's ACM JCE IV. Here's W223DO FCC FM Query page.

Now, the question is . . . what programming will Jorgensen put on it (go brokered, or now that it can be an "FM" will he try a music format) and will WFLL move into WEXY's new studios. So, there you go, it will be (hopefully), WFLL 93.5 FM.

Last edited:
This ONE slipped through the cracks . . . . found this on INSIDE RADIO's November 3, 2016 "Deal Digest." Cut n' Pasting the important part (from Inside Radio) regarding a "new" WFLL development. Jorgensen HAS aligned WFLL with an FM translator after all. Now, it can rebrand as an FM. (It was on the November 4th "Station Sales of the Week" page on Radio Insight as well).

"Florida – Mark Jorgenson’s ACM JCE IV 4 files a $45,000 deal to purchase the Sebring, FL-licensed translator W223CB at 92.5 from Radio 74 Internationale (and the Radio 74 wikipage). Jorgenson tells the FCC he will use the translator to rebroadcast the currently silent WFLL (1400) in the Miami-Ft. Lauderdale metro."

Of course, you'll notice the FCCdata.org (link above) page for W223CB links to W228DO 93.5 . . . . Its construction Permit expired on 12/24/2016. Transmitter is out by the Turnpike along Glades Road in Boca. Here's a list at Streaming Radio Guide of all the FCC applications involving Jorgensen's ACM JCE IV. Here's W223DO FCC FM Query page.

Now, the question is . . . what programming will Jorgensen put on it (go brokered, or now that it can be an "FM" will he try a music format) and will WFLL move into WEXY's new studios. So, there you go, it will be (hopefully), WFLL 93.5 FM.

Well, I'll be... This just a lot more interesting!

OMG...we posted at the same time, but you beat me by a few seconds.
Their tower on the northwest corner of Glades Rd. and the turnpike looks like WWOG's (99.9) old tower from a bygone era.

Last edited:

OMG...we posted at the same time, but you beat me by a few seconds.
Their tower on the northwest corner of Glades Rd. and the turnpike looks like WWOG's (99.9) old tower from a bygone era.

Shoot. Have we spoke to soon?? Reading the FCC Correspondence Folder and this letter from November 17, 2016. Dick Robinson WLML 100.3 filed objections to the translator (W223CB 92.5) that it will cause interference. Robinson was granted his request and the application for W223CB was denied? How does a station at 92.5 interfer with a station at 100.3? Is Robinson just trying to knock out the future "competition?"

I guess W223CB 92.5 is the station that WLML was referencing under it's "interference" section, and not another station at 100.3.

But . . . the NEW call sign for this translator is W228DO 93.5. The story continues . . . it stinks. WFLL can't catch a break.

Oh the call sign history for the translator . . . .

W223CB - 12/24/2013
W262DA - 11/16/2016
W223CB- 11/16/2016
W228DO - 11/18/2016

Last edited:
The story continues . . . it stinks. WFLL can't catch a break.
According to the informal objection filed by Robinson this translator was originally going to be on WLML co-channel 262 (100.3 FM) and they used the emails from listeners who complained of interference from the W262AN (WIOD) translator in Tamarac as evidence of likely interference from the new translator which was accepted by the Commission. On Nov. 18 ACM was granted a permit modification for channel 228 (93.5, here we go again!) however the original underlying construction permit expired on 12/24/16. ACM had requested a 6 month extension of the CP deadline on Nov. 1 but I'm not finding any correspondence that indicates whether the request was granted or denied. It could still happen yet. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
Time is running out unless they get another extension.....Special Temporary Authority is granted to permit Station WFLL(AM) to remain silent until October 24, 2016. Notwithstanding the grant of this Special Temporary Authority, the broadcast license for Station WFLL(AM) will automatically expire as a matter of law if broadcast operations do not resume by 12:01 a.m., October 25, 2016.

According to the informal objection filed by Robinson this translator was originally going to be on WLML co-channel 262 (100.3 FM) and they used the emails from listeners who complained of interference from the W262AN (WIOD) translator in Tamarac as evidence of likely interference from the new translator which was accepted by the Commission. On Nov. 18 ACM was granted a permit modification for channel 228 (93.5, here we go again!) however the original underlying construction permit expired on 12/24/16. ACM had requested a 6 month extension of the CP deadline on Nov. 1 but I'm not finding any correspondence that indicates whether the request was granted or denied. It could still happen yet. Stay tuned!

More EXCELLENT intel... from Radio and Television Business Report from November 2nd: "Could This Buy Bring A Dead Floridian Back To Life?" It's all about the long, once great, then sad history of WFTL/WFLL 1400 . . . the Robinson objections . . . the translator issues . . . all of it. Wished I read this sooner.

I LOVE how the stories begins . . . "Back in the 1970s, this radio station ruled the Fort Lauderdale Arbitron book." Remember those days when WFTL 1400 ruled? THAT's why we're all up-in-arms over the station on these boards. Because it was and it did.

AND . . . the most imporant point the article makes, and right from the mouth of Jorgensen . . . "at this point Alpha Media is not involved." (Alpha Media operates the Jorgenson-owned WFTL-AM 850 and Sports WMEN-AM 640).

Great Read!

Last edited:
From what I've heard WFTL 1400 seemed to have had a pretty good run as a local talk station in the 90s in addition to its heyday in the 70s. Here's a clip from Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of... from the mid 70s that featured WFTL and a creepy phone call during a discussion of the Bermuda Triangle.

From what I've heard WFTL 1400 seemed to have had a pretty good run as a local talk station in the 90s in addition to its heyday in the 70s. Here's a clip from Leonard Nimoy's In Search Of... from the mid 70s that featured WFTL and a creepy phone call during a discussion of the Bermuda Triangle.

Happy to say I was there that night! That series on the Bermuda Triangle got us great ratings. Listeners really got into it. It coinsided with a book that Charles Berlitz wrote. All the jocks got a copy, I believe I still have mine on the bookshelf.

I also have come to the sad conclusion that the days of WFTL 1400 will remain a memory. The area has changed too much. It was a different place and a different time. I went down there a few days before Christmas for a funeral. I couldn't believe how much the area had changed. You can't do what we once did with 1,000 watts on AM.

I was a rookie, we had great listeners who were interested in more than just music, some called in a panic when there was a storm at night or they just couldn't sleep. God help me if I gave the wrong time, they'd call up to correct me. I did overnights and it was great, without distractions people really paid attention. I was their link to the outside world. As a listener I wish we had that today instead of a computer endlessly playing the hits without human intervention. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox. Unless you were there you can't imagine how much fun it was! As I said though it was a different place and time and we won't see it again.

Happy to say I was there that night! That series on the Bermuda Triangle got us great ratings. Listeners really got into it. It coinsided with a book that Charles Berlitz wrote. All the jocks got a copy, I believe I still have mine on the bookshelf.

Were the studios for WFTL/WGLO in that plaza at Oakland and Federal at the time? Where did Ray Smithers, the man in the video, end up?

I also have come to the sad conclusion that the days of WFTL 1400 will remain a memory. The area has changed too much. It was a different place and a different time. I went down there a few days before Christmas for a funeral. I couldn't believe how much the area had changed. You can't do what we once did with 1,000 watts on AM.

Lauderdale has definitely grown up, much of it happening in just the past 20 years. Parts of the city I used to frequent don't even look the same as they did in 2008 when I moved to Victoria Park. I still think WFTL could hold its own as a Broward-centric station if it were well programmed and was on a FM translator. I'd settle for an oldies station too! We dare to dream...

I still think WFTL could hold its own as a Broward-centric station if it were well programmed and was on a FM translator.
I'd settle for an oldies station too! We dare to dream...
They would do very well in...
Both Cemetery Villages
Wynmoor Village
All four phases of Sunrise Lakes
John Knox Village
Palm Aire

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom