• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Adult Standards Returns to Los Angeles

Mount Wilson did some shuffling again, but since it only involved their HD side channels no one here on RD seems to have noticed. Here is what I can tell:
* Unforgettable is off the air - standards are gone once again - still streaming though at unforgettablela.com
* K-Mozart is again available on 88.1 HD2 (which had been down for a couple weeks) as well as now on 105.1 HD3 (displacing Unforgettable), however it appears the station no longer has announcers and is just airing CONTINUOUS CLASSICAL PROGRAMMING
* The HD side channels now have song identification technology

It appears even Saul can't justify standards. Time has done what time does.

Wonder if he'll flip 1240 in Monterey.

So you're saying they are insane? :)

I'm 65, and this was my parents' music. If they were alive today, they'd be 97 and 103. I grew up on rock music from KRLA, KFWB and KHJ. I was 12 during the British Invasion. The last standards station in the Bay Area, where I live flipped to talk in 1996 or so. If I were in LA, I would probably tune in on occasion for nostalgia's sake. Though it was "old fogey" music even in my day, I liked some of it.

I'm 65, and this was my parents' music. If they were alive today, they'd be 97 and 103. I grew up on rock music from KRLA, KFWB and KHJ. I was 12 during the British Invasion. The last standards station in the Bay Area, where I live flipped to talk in 1996 or so. If I were in LA, I would probably tune in on occasion for nostalgia's sake. Though it was "old fogey" music even in my day, I liked some of it.

I liked it on HD3 when I was in L.A. last---beautiful sound quality. The AM in Monterey (where I'm fortunate enough to visit three or four times a year) has gotten progressively tinnier-sounding. I find it unlistenable.

Llew, you and I have talked about this before...I'm four years younger than you, and was raised by my parents, who would be 100 and 95 now, on this music. It's wonderful stuff (for the most part), but I knew the day was coming that this wasn't going to be sustainable even in HD-land, so I loaded up and massaged a Spotify playlist to take its place.

This'll fry a bunch of people---but pre-Beatles oldies are next. Followed by the 60s and the 70s and the 80s, because time does not stand still.

I liked it on HD3 when I was in L.A. last---beautiful sound quality. The AM in Monterey (where I'm fortunate enough to visit three or four times a year) has gotten progressively tinnier-sounding. I find it unlistenable.

Llew, you and I have talked about this before...I'm four years younger than you, and was raised by my parents, who would be 100 and 95 now, on this music. It's wonderful stuff (for the most part), but I knew the day was coming that this wasn't going to be sustainable even in HD-land, so I loaded up and massaged a Spotify playlist to take its place.

This'll fry a bunch of people---but pre-Beatles oldies are next. Followed by the 60s and the 70s and the 80s, because time does not stand still.

Good point, Michael. I'd be much more likely to do a Spotify playlist of standards than listen on AM. The playlist from my phone - about 1,200 songs from practically every decade 1940s to current - has more-or-less replaced all my FM music radio listening. I probably have 30-40 songs that could be considered "standards," though some are recent recordings like Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga singing "Let's Face the Music & Dance." Whether you like her songs or not, that lady can definitely sing. But I digress...I also have Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Shirley Bassey, and a few others. But really - I can't see how this format can survive in the twenty-teens, or whatever you call this decade.

As for the Beatles - I remember humorous remarks going around in the 80s about the Beatles. You'd tell a teenager or 20-something, "Do you know that Paul McCartney used to be in another band before Wings?" Then you'd wait for the astonished look on the 20 something's face. Well now, that 20-something is pushing 50, and I suspect most millenials would neither know Wings, nor McCartney. McCartney is to this generation what Bing Crosby was to ours.

Michael, I am way outside the demographic as well :) Is there any way to get hold of your Spotify playlist? Make my life easier than listening to Sirius/XM 'Siriusly Sinatra' (especially since I do not believe Sinatra is really that great of a singer).

Michael, I am way outside the demographic as well :) Is there any way to get hold of your Spotify playlist? Make my life easier than listening to Sirius/XM 'Siriusly Sinatra' (especially since I do not believe Sinatra is really that great of a singer).

K6JHU: It's built to my taste. Almost 500 tracks. Really more of a library than a playlist. I just hit "shuffle". I'd really recommend you cook up your own. That's the glory of Spotify.

Good point, Michael. I'd be much more likely to do a Spotify playlist of standards than listen on AM. The playlist from my phone - about 1,200 songs from practically every decade 1940s to current - has more-or-less replaced all my FM music radio listening. I probably have 30-40 songs that could be considered "standards," though some are recent recordings like Tony Bennett and Lady Gaga singing "Let's Face the Music & Dance." Whether you like her songs or not, that lady can definitely sing. But I digress...I also have Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Shirley Bassey, and a few others. But really - I can't see how this format can survive in the twenty-teens, or whatever you call this decade.

As for the Beatles - I remember humorous remarks going around in the 80s about the Beatles. You'd tell a teenager or 20-something, "Do you know that Paul McCartney used to be in another band before Wings?" Then you'd wait for the astonished look on the 20 something's face. Well now, that 20-something is pushing 50, and I suspect most millenials would neither know Wings, nor McCartney. McCartney is to this generation what Bing Crosby was to ours.

I heard sometime back that there was a significantly large group that thought Paul McCartney was a Kanye West "discovery"!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom