• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Viability of CBSN

Y2kTheNewOldies

Walk of Fame Participant
http://money.cnn.com/2016/08/11/media/cbsn/index.html?iid=Lead

In this article CBS N the all news feed for CBS News viability is talked about here. In this article CBS viability for its all news app feed was mentioned and they compared CBS N to Cable news. I say CBS is making a smart move here to go directly to app and website with their feed and avoid cable due to its demand by the target demo. App and website are here to stay.

first of all, this is a 24/7 News network, but instead of going on basic cable, they are using the reach of the internet, trying to cater to the younger viewers who watch TV via the internet, especially the cord cutters.

second, again, this is a internet TV stream network so it belongs in the Internet TV section of the site, so mods, you can move this to the correct section.

finally, the story is from CNN Money, the financial news site of CNN, a cable news channel and maybe rival news network to CBSN, so there may be some bias on this story.

Wait wouldn't CBS Affiliates, CBS O&O's and CW affiliates owned by CBS at least get some segments from CBS N on their local newscasts and the affiliates have to pay for that in their contracts to carry CBS content.

Also CBS is basically trying to translate their success in All-News radio in some cities to the CBS News app and CBSN. On one hand I can understand why CBS would not put CBSN on Cable. CBS is put in a position to avoid all contract disputes confrontations with the carriers like Dish Network and others at this point and instead deal with the app distributors like Google Play and Apple app stores to release CBSN because of Demographic reasons.

Wait wouldn't CBS Affiliates, CBS O&O's and CW affiliates owned by CBS at least get some segments from CBS N on their local newscasts and the affiliates have to pay for that in their contracts to carry CBS content.

They do.

Also CBS is basically trying to translate their success in All-News radio in some cities to the CBS News app and CBSN.

I don't know about that, since the news radio thing is local, not directed from CBS News. This is simply a way of attaching some revenue device to a lot of existing resources. They could have started a cable channel, but there are already multiple options there, so they went with online. But these resources are offered to affiliates and O&Os for broadcast use as well.

CBS-N is also the source for their overnight news service that's offered for broadcast affiliates.

Has there been any consideration to offer CBSN as a sub channel for affiliates? Sounds like an attractive option to cord cutters.

I always thought that should have been a better subchannel option for the CBS O&Os than Decades, but maybe CBS changes their minds in the not-too-distant future and puts in CBSN as subchannel (and possibly shuffle Decades off to the sister station, if there is one).

I always thought that should have been a better subchannel option for the CBS O&Os than Decades, but maybe CBS changes their minds in the not-too-distant future and puts in CBSN as subchannel (and possibly shuffle Decades off to the sister station, if there is one).

Decades that can move to a subchannel of CW stations owned by CBS like KBCW and KMAX. And stations like KOVR and KPIX could carry the subchannel of CBSN. But I don't see this likely for now though.

first of all, this is a 24/7 News network, but instead of going on basic cable, they are using the reach of the internet, trying to cater to the younger viewers who watch TV via the internet, especially the cord cutters.

second, again, this is a internet TV stream network so it belongs in the Internet TV section of the site, so mods, you can move this to the correct section.

finally, the story is from CNN Money, the financial news site of CNN, a cable news channel and maybe rival news network to CBSN, so there may be some bias on this story.

I get why you would think the article is biased. It's because CNN is questioning why CBSN did not get a cable contract and money I at stake. They questioned that CBSN is a Money losing project that relies on digital advertising than cable fees. But I understand why CBS would want an app and website only network for CBSN. CBS is put in a position to avoid all contract disputes with cable providers like Dish, Xfinity and DirecTV. Also the median audiences are at play to place CBSN on App only.

Remember 50 years ago when CBS started all News radio such as its soon to be former stations WCBS 880 in New York, KCBS San Francisco and KNX Los Angeles. Everybody thought all news radio was an insane idea at the time and Group W's 1010 Wins. But they somehow managed to be successful over time.

Maybe CBSN is on to something here that we have to wait and see.

I believe CBS will prove its critics wrong again 50 years later with this all-news App channel. Remember CNN, Fox News and MSNBC cater to a certain audiences like people interested in politics. CBSN is trying to get the general audience here who watch TV on Roku, Apple TV, their tablet, and their phones.

CBS is put in a position to avoid all contract disputes with cable providers like Dish, Xfinity and DirecTV.

I'm not sure that's an issue. The courts have sided with the content providers in all cases here, so CBS would win any dispute.

My view is that in the money world, you're either growing, or you're failing. We've seen that recently with Disney/ESPN and Viacom. Viewership is down, the audience is diversifying, and stock at those two companies dropped. Viewership is down at the news channels too, plus it's aging. If CBSN can establish itself as THE new platform for younger viewers, they will have something that doesn't exist in the cable world. It's a growth area, which is good for the company's stock. That's the thinking behind the company's move with radio. It's not a growth area, so its holding back the company stock, even though it's a cash-rich business. CBSN isn't cash rich, but it's growth, and that looks good to investors.

Also you have another issue at play here Al-Jazzera attempted to do an American feed on cable but that didn't pan out though or hold a big cable audiences like Fox, CNN, HLN and MSNBC.

Note Al-Jazzera has some following if you watch the YouTube profiles of them under "Al-Jazzera English".

How about this one. I remember Al-Jazzera audiences have to be younger too like the target audience CBSN is aiming for from my understanding. Maybe this was the fate they were trying to avoid was hype surrounding a channel and the audience size did not pan out due business issues at Al-Jazzera and cable carriage varied

Last edited:
The issue with Al-Jazzera is carriage by cable companies, and the channel location they were given. A lot of cable companies didn't carry them. They weren't always grouped together with news channels on cable systems, but instead placed with other foreign companies like BBC America. So they got less traffic than traditional news channels. That's always an issue with cable channels, and CBS has experienced that with CBS SN. They don't always get placement with ESPN, or they may be part of an extra package requiring more money. You don't have that as a digital channel.

The issue with Al-Jazzera is carriage by cable companies, and the channel location they were given. A lot of cable companies didn't carry them. They weren't always grouped together with news channels on cable systems, but instead placed with other foreign companies like BBC America. So they got less traffic than traditional news channels. That's always an issue with cable channels, and CBS has experienced that with CBS SN. They don't always get placement with ESPN, or they may be part of an extra package requiring more money. You don't have that as a digital channel.

Well RT, BBC World service and Fusion Networks are some other news channels that were hyped to have a following on their website, app and youtube profiles when I saw them but then again these channels also face issues such as carriage contract issues and placement when they are put to cable. basically dealing with similar issues like Al-Jazzera.

Last edited:
I'm not sure that's an issue. The courts have sided with the content providers in all cases here, so CBS would win any dispute.

http://www.dumpdish.com/who

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/currency/tribune-blitzes-dish-nfl-blackout-spots/158558

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/32575627/local-connection-dish-tv

What courts side with content providers like CBS? How come Some CBS affiliates that are owned by other groups such as heartland, Sinclair, Tribune and Raycom would find themselves at the mercy of cable providers like this.
"Dish Network is using a blackout on our group Tribune Broadcasting and here at CBS4 Indianapolis you may not see NFL games and other CBS shows on this channel until Dish agrees to this contract."

If thats so why are some of their affiliates find themselves at the mercy of contract disputes such as Dish and others. I did not know that CBS could win at any contract dispute.

I did not know that CBS could win at any contract dispute.

That's not what I said. Read it again.

The examples you bring up are not at all similar to a network like CBSN. Those are disputes between local stations and cable or satellite carriers. Very different.

My quote is about the courts. Quite often these local disputes don't go to court, such as the case you mention.

Umm......I thought they do that already. Maybe I'm wrong ??
Also CBS is basically trying to translate their success in All-News radio in some cities to the CBS News app and CBSN. On one hand I can understand why CBS would not put CBSN on Cable. CBS is put in a position to avoid all contract disputes confrontations with the carriers like Dish Network and others at this point and instead deal with the app distributors like Google Play and Apple app stores to release CBSN because of Demographic reasons.
Their only other option was to launch it as a diginet (Which I hope CBS does with its sports network someday while it still has $$$ to operate)

Launching CBS Sports Network as an online only network like CBSN would just be impractical (Unless it were to be downgraded to the level of ESPN3)

JMO.....

Cheers & 73 :)

Plus with CBSN as a diginet, it's likely affiliates would put it on the .2 even if something else (Including WeatherNation may have to be moved) as NEWS is the lifeblood of their operations (With weather being 2nd)

So, if a station were given a choice between CBSN & ohh say ThisTV to put on the .2, guess where ThisTV is going to go..... :D

Cheers & 73 :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom