• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WTMY 1280 New Format

hdradioeng

Frequent Participant
On the closing of WTMY to Solmart Media seems we have another Spanish station it seems to be rebroadcasting WZZS in Zolfo Springs

I understand that it's not officially launched while maintenance and audio delivery are tweaked but this list loves that stuff.

I wish them good luck in an ever crowded band here on the Suncoast, and welcome another non consolidated owner to the area.

On the closing of WTMY to Solmart Media seems we have another Spanish station it seems to be rebroadcasting WZZS in Zolfo Springs

I understand that it's not officially launched while maintenance and audio delivery are tweaked but this list loves that stuff.

I wish them good luck in an ever crowded band here on the Suncoast, and welcome another non consolidated owner to the area.

I observed the change on my car radio today; hardly ever tune in AM anymore, but occasionally I was listening to their old programming, since it was a unique niche. They need your good luck wishes and more; I was going to check them out last night and then remembered that the nearby radio, like so many anymore doesn't even have an AM band.

WTMY now has a construction permit to locate W256DI at 99.1 on their AM tower.
The translator will cover most of Sarasota, though little of the Hispanic population in Manatee County.
It will certainly outperform the AM station's 100-watt night signal and match the 300-watt day signal.

Does anyone know what is doing with W256DI?
There are no antennæ on the stick yet.

Does anyone know what is doing with W256DI?
There are no antennæ on the stick yet.

Bad news: won't be. The old tower just won't pass the test.

Good news: It will be on with better acrophobia.

Soon...

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Last edited:
That BIG tower.
Those three little aluminum squigles?
Remind me to NEVER drive closer to
it than the distance of its height :(

That 'Big" tower on City Island now used by 1450 and 1280 was the original 102.5 tower. It was erected in 1960 on 5th street just west of Central avenue in downtown Sarasota for 102.5, WYAK. The station was sold to 1220 WSAF in 1967 and after a year or so it went silent. WSPB on City Island bought the tower and had it moved to City Island to get their FM, 106.3 WSPB-FM higher. I worked there then and put in most of the ground system. Thirty six 20 foot copper pipes driven straight down into the water table.. City Island was dredged in many years ago and the biggest problem was hitting a clam shell. You could not break through them. so you had to pull up the pipe and go down at a slight angle to miss the shell. The FM was moved to that tower and 1450 was shunt-fed on that tower. The output of the Antenna Tuning Unit for the AM was hot as a firecracker. It was a copper-clad wooden box and caught fire one day. I had to go out and put the AM back on the old tower which was fortunately still there. I got a nasty RF burn off that ATU box one day.

That 'Big" tower on City Island now used by 1450 and 1280 was the original 102.5 tower. It was erected in 1960 on 5th street just west of Central avenue in downtown Sarasota for 102.5, WYAK. The station was sold to 1220 WSAF in 1967 and after a year or so it went silent. WSPB on City Island bought the tower and had it moved to City Island to get their FM, 106.3 WSPB-FM higher. I worked there then and put in most of the ground system. Thirty six 20 foot copper pipes driven straight down into the water table.. City Island was dredged in many years ago and the biggest problem was hitting a clam shell. You could not break through them. so you had to pull up the pipe and go down at a slight angle to miss the shell.

Explain the clam shell

The FM was moved to that tower and 1450 was shunt-fed on that tower. The output of the Antenna Tuning Unit for the AM was hot as a firecracker. It was a copper-clad wooden box and caught fire one day. I had to go out and put the AM back on the old tower which was fortunately still there. I got a nasty RF burn off that ATU box one day.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

City Island was dredged in the the Gulf, so it is made up of dirt dredged from the bottom of the Gulf. Included in this are many shells. As I would push the 20 foot copper pipes straight down into the ground in order to hit the water table, if I hit a clam shell it would stop the pipe from going any further. The clam shells were hard and you couldn't break through them. So you had to go off to the side to miss the clam shell.

Bad news: won't be. The old tower just won't pass the test.

Good news: It will be on with better acrophobia.

Soon...

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

UPDATE:

As of last evening, 99.1 is running, not up, just in a dummy load for now, awaiting a tower crew for the final piece of the puzzle.

It looks like their new inland site
will cover a lot more real estate
but less red tide. That is OK!
The overpowered LPFM in St. Pete
is about to lose Manatee County.

It looks like their new inland site
will cover a lot more real estate
but less red tide. That is OK!
The overpowered LPFM in St. Pete
is about to lose Manatee County.

And very soon.

On the other hand, you can't lose something you never had.

WUJM's signal is serving their target area.

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

46 Watts @ 100' feet, web page full of "advertise with us"

There is a lot of wrong with this one, it might deserve a thread of it's own

46 Watts @ 100' feet, web page full of "advertise with us"

There is a lot of wrong with this one, it might deserve a thread of it's own

I need the FaceBook "laughing" button to properly respond to this...

It is the classic George Costanza response, "Why am I listening?" "Because it's on the radio!"

Jeff in Sa-ra-so-ta!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom