• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The Beauty Pageant: July Edition

Libermans El Norte is beating their own "flagship " station LA RAZA.

Both are beating 93.3 Univisions station, do they really need this format or even this station? They should just put it on the market for sale. Or simulcast it with KAMA.

And don't say it doesn't work, THE EAGLE IS COVERING HOUSTON VERY GOOD ON BOTH 106.9 and 107.5.

Both are beating 93.3 Univisions station, do they really need this format or even this station? They should just put it on the market for sale. Or simulcast it with KAMA.

And don't say it doesn't work, THE EAGLE IS COVERING HOUSTON VERY GOOD ON BOTH 106.9 and 107.5.

Loco, right? La Raza uses 2 signals, El Norte only has one. Yet 107-9 has beaten the sister duo. Perhaps, the answer is to trade La Raza with El Norte on 103-3. I figure it's merely a wobble on 98-5's part. If it continues to drop, then make no mistake about it, Lieberman will switch up things in the cluster. Flip flopping formats is in Lenard Lieberman's playbook, one that he has used time and time again.

I don't know what to say about 93-3. I've called it a waste of 97 kilowatts on several occasions. Simulcasted with KAMA-FM is an idea. It'll never come to fruition, mrtejano, as Univision considers 93-3 a throw away flanker to 102-9.

I bet you most Port Arthurians wouldn't appreciate that title. Steve Hicks likely wouldn't like it, either.

Not in the sales demos. La Raza is well ahead in 18-49, which is the core demo for Hispanic buys.

And Liberman does not care which of his stations rates the highest... as long as the cluster share remains strong. The combined share of the two is within the survey margin of error going back a year or more in that same sales demo.

It is quite profitable. Profits, not 12+ ratings, are the real determination of a station's success.

The KSBJ slide may just be statistical, but it has been going on for a while. Since they are not doing anything different than they have done for years, I wonder if the attraction of CCM is starting to wane. I probably ought to look at KLTY in the Dallas ratings to see if there is a similar decline. The slide in KUHA was probably anticipation of the end of classical music, and probably the increasingly automated programming in preparation for the sale. The big question mark in everybody's mind is - what will KXGN ratings be like? Similar to KYBJ and barely a player, or significant?

Yep - same decline on KLTY! And wow - KLUV is almost beating KISS up there! Are classic hits eroding Christian contemporary up there? Where is KSBJ's audience going down here? I refuse to believe Spanish language which is the biggest increase here.

Last edited:
The KSBJ slide may just be statistical, but it has been going on for a while. Since they are not doing anything different than they have done for years, I wonder if the attraction of CCM is starting to wane. I probably ought to look at KLTY in the Dallas ratings to see if there is a similar decline. The slide in KUHA was probably anticipation of the end of classical music, and probably the increasingly automated programming in preparation for the sale. The big question mark in everybody's mind is - what will KXGN ratings be like? Similar to KYBJ and barely a player, or significant?

Yep - same decline on KLTY! And wow - KLUV is almost beating KISS up there! Are classic hits eroding Christian contemporary up there? Where is KSBJ's audience going down here? I refuse to believe Spanish language which is the biggest increase here.

It's not your daddy's KLUV anymore, Bruce. As for the sudden decline in KSBJ listeners, that's a good question you pose. I'd sure be interested to know if "God listens" to KHJK instead, these days. The listeners are going somewhere, that's for sure. Where, is the puzzling question.

91-7 is KXNG, BTW.

I suspect Air 1 has taken some share from KSBJ. Air 1 does not subscribe so isn't shown in the ratings the public gets to see. How Air 1 is doing would be interesting to know.

I suspect Air 1 has taken some share from KSBJ. Air 1 does not subscribe so isn't shown in the ratings the public gets to see. How Air 1 is doing would be interesting to know.

Air 1 is essentially flat since the beginning of this year, although it is averaging a bit higher than the tail end of 2015. Still it is about a 1 share station, give or take a tenth. KSBJ appers to have had a bad month, as the last dozen books are all within a very stable range and there was no uptick with EMF's station in July.

A station like KSBJ that has relatively low cume and high TSL can be adversely affected if just a couple of heavy use households on the PPM panel are off on summer vacation. KSBJ has the fifth highest TSL in the market, so fewer listeners who listen long amounts of time make up much of the station share.

In other words, I think it is wobble, not a problem.

Last edited:

KYDA has become a factor in DFW.

Last July, KLTY was 7th in P6+, KYDA was 26th
This July, KLTY is 8th, KYDA is 15th

In Persons 25-54, KLTY is 10th, KYDA is 14th, and in their core demo of Women 25-54 KLTY is 4th and KYDA is 8th.

Last edited:
The KSBJ slide may just be statistical, but it has been going on for a while.

No, it has not. The station tends to wobble a lot more than other major players in the market because it has a lower cume and high TSL; it is 16th in cume but 8th in share. So they will have fewer panelists on the PPM system, and any family / household that is listening less during a period can have much greater impact month to month.

KLTY has had among its highest cumes in 2016... generally higher than the previous two years. However, the TSL is lower. They are reaching the same number of people... or more... but those folks spend less time with them. That is a programming issue, not necessarily a format issue. Probably sharing with KYDA.

So KSBJ had a bit of a wobble in July. Not unusual historically. And KLTY keeps reaching as many people as ever...

David, that makes perfect sense. With such long TSLs for KSBJ and AQH numbers I see, a listener or two can create a larger than life change.

At one point Air 1 was calling Houston one of their more successful markets. I'd hate to think a 1 is really good.

KTBZ is tied with KBXX. Alternative Rock is alive and well in H-Town!

Any word on KBME getting an FM translator to offset their poor nighttime coverage?

Nice to see that Texas Southern still continues to support radio while some other area schools have given up.

Nice to see that Texas Southern still continues to support radio while some other area schools have given up.
:cool:Prairie View A & M station is still going. Don't know if A & M College station still has a radio station or not ?

Actually none of the area schools have given up on radio. Rice continued the KTRU format on KPFT HD-2 from 2011-15, and now on KBLT 96.1. UofH still has KUHF. The other school owned stations are still there (KACC, KPVU, KTSU.)

I wonder what's going on over at CBS. Hot is still stuck at the 3 mark after many many months, and nowhere to be found in the target demo. Mix certain isn't any better.

Don't think they are putting much effort into it. The local CBS radio stations are all currently on the market.

That link is to an old story. The latest news is they're going to do radio as it's own company, with CBS still owning a piece.

Could be. I'm just going by what a local broker told me -- that all the local CBS stations are for sale, either individually or as a group. There are negotiations underway for one, but I'm not at liberty to say who or which...

No lesser a person than Les himself said that CBS Radio is preparing for an IPO, where the entire division will be spun off "as is" as a separate publicly traded company.

If there are any individual station sales, it is very, extremely, highly unlikely that any would be sold until after the IPO. That is because any sale would affect the representations of cash flow and alter the guidance statements that are part of an IPO process.

In any event, all logic says that no significant cluster will be broken up and station sales would more likely be in the smaller markets like Palm Springs and Victorville, not in top 10 markets like Houston where a strong cluster is worth more than the sum of its parts.

In any event, any broker with actual knowledge of potential opportunities would be under an NDA and would require the same of any highly pre-qualified buyer. Anything, including this kind of wild rumor, that might damage the value of the enterprise has to be avoided at all costs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom