• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

91.7 k-dance

Keep in mind many Christian music listeners spend at least some time listening to secular radio as well. KSBJ would tell you Sunny 99 is their competition. We're thinking either/or but from a listener standpoint, the line is blurred more than we'd like to think. Sort of like that preacher I know who is part of a family where Dad likes a few stiff drinks, sometimes one too many, and his brother can cuss up a blue streak at the drop of a hat. Doesn't phase the guy...just everyday life for him. I suspect supporters might have more of an issue with the stunt than the listeners did. In fact, I'd wonder if the listeners don't get what all the talk is about.

Well, then, they (and you know who they) should play the pagan music of Rockbitch!!!!!
And of course you know I don't believe what I'm saying here; however, only to make a point.
A rather far out point at that!
So, I disagree along with Mrtajano's disagreement......

That was my initial question. KSBJ doesn't appear to be accountable to their donors, who bankrolled this fiasco. They certainly aren't accountable to God. If the goal is to win souls to Christ, they have failed miserably.

I certainly don't think it is destined to be a fiasco. With KYBJ occasionally breaking the top 20 in the ratings, it shows a potential audience in Houston for the format. An awful lot of people were putting up with a marginal signal at best, a translator covering a tiny portion of the area, etc. It remains to be seen if KXGN will generate ratings, but considering where KUHA ratings were, I think we could probably see some sort of entry into the top 20 - it may take time for the word to get around. If I were a youth leader, I definitely would be announcing it to my youth group. Word of mouth may be the best tool in building the audience. NGEN will be fighting with its own phone app for ratings, more so than iHeart stations do.

As for format crossover - I am not the only one who also listens to secular formats. But when garbage comes on with a world view that I don't like, gross sexual content, or whatever - I tune out whether it is KODA or KGLK. So do most people I hear, same as they tune out any song they don't like. And some K-Dance songs were repulsive. And would be to any serious Christian believer that doesn't want to listen to bad lyrics.

Keep in mind many Christian music listeners spend at least some time listening to secular radio as well. KSBJ would tell you Sunny 99 is their competition. We're thinking either/or but from a listener standpoint, the line is blurred more than we'd like to think.

Yep.

Based on an average of several random months from this year, KSBJ shares over 45% of its cume with KODA, and between 20% and 30% of its cume with these: KRBE, KKBQ, KHMX, KKHH and KILT. It shares between 10% and 20% of cume with KTHT, KMJQ, KQBT, KTRH, KTBZ, KBXX and KHJK.

It is important to remember that stations typically share their cume in this fashion, and that the average listener uses around 6 station each week.

The average KSBJ listener spends 4 weekly hours with the station. The average radio listener in 25-64 spends about 12 hours a week with radio, so we can assume that the average KSBJ listener spends more time with all the other stations they use than with KSBJ. Again, normal.

I think music can be independent of religious belief, especially in the world of radio.

Except when the music IS the ministry. Again, I stand behind what I stated. But the management (or mismanagement) of KSBJ doesn't have to answer to me. They do have to answer to God, however. Whether they realize that or not.

Except when the music IS the ministry. Again, I stand behind what I stated. But the management (or mismanagement) of KSBJ doesn't have to answer to me. They do have to answer to God, however. Whether they realize that or not.

Well it's done with, old story now. What about La Mejor 104.5? Doing the same or worst with Money from the church.

I think the group who runs 104 is a lot worse than KSBJ... KSBJ simply played secular music on one of their stations to attract attention. C3ntr0 is in the process of just moving stations and translators and not following the FCC's regulations.. look at 105.4 translator, anyway 104 continues with the non-Christian music because it makes them $$$$$

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom