• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Stations that changed from slightly higher pitched songs to normally pitched songs.

Jonathan7157

Frequent Participant
Some stations that switched from higher pitched songs to normal-pitched songs (like what the songs sound like normally on YouTube):

WPOI-FM/HOT 101.5 St. Petersburg/Tampa, FL (Cox). (Switched in June 2014, with some higher pitched songs remaining, with only a few still used today, explained lots of times by me already).

WIHT-FM/HOT 99.5 Washington D.C. (iHeart). (Despite some cities that air the show having higher pitched songs (like Tampa's 93.3 FLZ (which still has higher pitched songs today)), HOT 99.5, KISS 107 (Cincinnati), Energy 102.3 (Peoria), Beach 101.7 (Long Island), 105.5 JYY (Concord, NH), and Z104.3 (Baltimore, but only on weekends and overnight) don't follow this trend that only WFLZ, 98.9 Radio Now (Louisville), 93.1 The Party (Las Vegas), 99.3 KISS FM (Harrisburg), 101.9 KISS FM (Memphis), and Z104.3 (Baltimore, all day except overnights and weekends) do and it used to have a higher pitch until 2015).

WQEN-FM/103.7 The Q Trussville/Birmingham, AL (iHeart). (Used to play higher pitched songs until early 2016).

WRVQ-FM/Q94 Richmond, VA (iHeart). (Used to play higher pitched songs until around May 2016).

WAPE-FM/95.1 WAPE Jacksonville, FL (Cox). (Used to play higher pitched songs until around Summer of 2012?)

WFLC-FM/HITS 97.3 Miami, FL (Cox). (Only played higher pitched songs for about 5 months, so higher pitched songs on this station are very rare).

Possible ones?:
WBLI-FM/106.1 BLI Long Island, NY (Cox). (Can't Stop The Feeling by Justin Timberlake is in a normal pitch, unlike the other songs on the station).

Why does iHeart lower the station's pitch, when in my opinion, I liked the higher pitch, just the way it was?! Z100 is not included, as in promos, their songs are high pitched, but play their songs normally all the time. :confused:

Last edited:
Hmm I never noticed it on WPOI or WBLI. I've only heard WQEN once and don't remember them pitching. WNRG/Milwaukee did when they first launched, not sure if they still do, didn't notice it last time I listened. WXSS in that market did as well, but they seem to have cut back. I think KBKS in my market still does it even though they've shifted to Hot AC, and so does KKRZ in Portland. I'm not sure why it was so big a number of years ago but it's becoming less and less.

Hmm I never noticed it on WPOI or WBLI. I've only heard WQEN once and don't remember them pitching. WNRG/Milwaukee did when they first launched, not sure if they still do, didn't notice it last time I listened. WXSS in that market did as well, but they seem to have cut back. I think KBKS in my market still does it even though they've shifted to Hot AC, and so does KKRZ in Portland. I'm not sure why it was so big a number of years ago but it's becoming less and less.

Today, WNRG and WXSS went to higher pitch, KBKS in Seattle doesn't do it anymore (changed to higher pitch already in the 2010s) and KKRZ was always in a high pitch, since 2006 (I listened to an aircheck from that time and they did in fact pitch their songs back then). Also, WPOI pitched their music from launch until 2014, when they stopped doing that.

For WBLI, I have an update, the normal pitch was only for Jusin Timberlake's song, and after that, all other songs were in higher pitch, like it was before JT's song was released. Cox must had a mistake of not pitching that song.

Also as of this post, 93.1 The Party (sadly) and Energy 102.3 has switched formats.

Where do you find a KKRZ aircheck from 2006? I'd be interested in hearing that. I didn't notice any pitching on WBLI when I recorded them back in July. As for KBKS I have a hard time telling these days. KBBY in Ventura CA used to pitch pretty dramatically, but they've stopped. KBFF in Portland used to be all over the place as far as pitching, some songs were pitched down for whatever reason, while a few were pitched up. I haven't heard any of the ones that were pitched down on that station in a while, so don't know if they've been redone or not.

Here's a list of stations I know that play or have played songs at higher pitch:

WIHT Washington, D.C. "Hot 99.5"

WZFT Baltimore, MD "Z104.3"

WGMY Tallahassee, FL "107.1 KISS FM"

KTBT Tulsa, OK "92.1 The Beat"

WKXJ Chattanooga, TN "103.7 KISS FM"

WBTT Ft. Myers, FL "105.5 The Beat"

WZJZ Ft. Myers, FL "Y100.1"

KZCH Wichita, KS "Channel 963"

WKGS Rochester, NY "106.7 KISS"

WXXL Orlando, FL "XL 106.7"

WFKS Melbourne, FL "KISS 95.1"

WMKS Greensboro-Winston-Salem-High Point, NC "100.3 Kiss FM"

WSNX Grand Rapids, MI "104.5 SNX"

WWHT Syracuse, NY "Hot 107.9"

WDCG Raleigh-Durham, NC "G105"

KPRR El Paso, TX "Power 102.1"

WHQC Charlotte, NC "Channel 96.1"

KHFI Austin, TX "96.7 KISS FM"

KPEZ Austin, TX "102.3 The Beat"

KWTX Waco, TX "97.5 FM"

WKSL Jacksonville, FL "97.9 Kiss FM"

WHKF Harrisburg, PA "99.3 Kiss FM"

WKQI Detroit, MI "Channel 95.5"

WLDI West Palm Beach, FL "Wild 95.5"

KJYO Oklahoma City, OK "KJ103"

KZHT Salt Lake City, UT "97.1 ZHT"

KPTT Denver, CO "95.7 The Party"

KIBT Colorado Springs, CO "96.1 The Beat"

WNRW Louisville, KY "98.9 Radio Now"

WKSC Chicago, IL "103.5 KISS FM"

WBNW Binghamton, NY "Now 105.7"

WZEE Madison, WI "Z104"

WBIZ Eau Claire, WI "Z100"

KHKS Dallas, TX "106.1 Kiss FM"

KXXM San Antonio, TX "Mix 96.1"

KYLD San Francisco, CA "Wild 94.9"

WBKS Lima, OH "93.9 Kiss FM"

WPKF Poughkeepsie, NY "96.1 KISS FM"

WKST Pittsburgh, PA "96.1 KISS"

KSLZ St Louis, MO "Z107.7"

WKSS Hartford, CT "KISS 95.7"

WAKS Cleveland, OH "96.5 KISS FM"

WKDD Akron, OH "98.1 WKDD"

WNOK Columbia, SC "104.7 WNOK"

WRVQ Richmond, VA "Q94"

WKSI Winchester, VA "98.3 KISS FM"

WAZR Woodstock, VA "93.7 NOW"

WYHT Mansfield, OH "Y105"

KKXL Grand Forks, ND "XL93"

WAEB Allentown, PA "B104"

KWNW Memphis, TN "101.9 KISS FM"

KYYY Bismarck, ND "Y93"

KIZZ Minot, ND "Z94"

KDWB Minneapolis, MB "101.3 KDWB"

KRQQ Tucson, AZ "93.7 KRQ"

KBKS Seattle, WA "106.1 KISS FM"

KPWK Seattle, WA "Power 93.3"

KKRZ Portland, OR "Z100"

WZBQ Tuscaloosa, AL "94.1 ZBQ"

WQEN Birmingham, AL "103.7 The Q"

KDON Salinas, CA "102.5 K-DON"

KHTS San Diego, CA "Channel 93.3"

KIIS Los Angeles, CA "102.7 KIIS FM"

Mike, is that supposed to be a list of every station you know of that has or is pitching ever? I've heard several of those stations and can tell you I've never heard them pitch. Those include WKSL in April 2016, WXXL since 2011, KHKS also since 2011, and KPTT since 2013, though they could have just started. KPWK is my local CHR, and I don't notice it there much, but I kind of do on certain songs. I've also noticed most of the stations on your list are iHeart. As for KIIS, I've never heard it personally, but I've heard that they used to pitch several years ago. Another station that I haven't mentioned in this thread that pitched back in 2012 is KORQ Channel 9-6-Q Abalene, TX. When it first went CHR, KIXZ/Spokane, WA Hits 96.1 pitched. Come to think of it, WJBQ in Portland, ME pitched until Cumulus bought them. WHTS pitched when it was All Hit 98.9 in the Quad Cities in about 2003, but had stopped by the time they signed off in 2006.

I have a good memory on which stations play or have played high pitched songs since I had the iHeartRadio app for 7 years, and that's how I discovered the majority of those stations. Z104.3 didn't start playing high pitched songs regularly until early 2011, and Hot 99.5 played high pitched songs regularly until around 2015, both of which are my local CHRs. However, Pride Radio (on Hot 99.5's HD2 subchannel) is still high pitched, and I listen to that station in any car that's equipped with HD Radio capabilities.

The four stations I listen to the most during the week are 107.1 KISS FM in Tallahassee, 92.1 The Beat, and 103.7 KISS FM, and 105.5 The Beat. 107.1, 92.1, and 103.7 run commercial free blocks of music for about two hours and 105.5 The Beat runs a mix-show during the last 30 minutes of The Freak Show as well as a throwback "Eat To The Beat" mix-show at noon, which also lasts a half hour.

I have a good memory on which stations play or have played high pitched songs since I had the iHeartRadio app since 2010, and that's how I discovered the majority of those stations. The four stations I listen to the most on the app during the week are 107.1 KISS FM in Tallahassee, 92.1 The Beat, and 103.7 KISS FM, and 105.5 The Beat. 107.1, 92.1, and 103.7 run commercial free blocks of music for about two hours and 105.5 The Beat runs a mix-show during the last 30 minutes of The Freak Show as well as a throwback "Eat To The Beat" mix-show at noon, which also lasts a half hour.

Z104.3 didn't start playing high pitched songs regularly until early 2011, and Hot 99.5 played high pitched songs regularly until around 2015, both of which are my local CHRs. However, Pride Radio (on Hot 99.5's HD2 subchannel) is still high pitched, and I listen to that station in any car that's equipped with HD Radio capabilities.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom