• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ken Cocker

staggmovie

Star Participant
Is it just me or is K-hits weekend host/fill in host Ken Cocker does not have a pleasant voice to listen to

Personally, it's never been an issue for me. That's probably why I've been a fan since Big Ken's days at WNDE Indianapolis. Ken was very much a part of the era that ended the AM boss jock sound. Worked well with the early FM CHRs like WMET. A more organic, more human sound -- like with Greg Brown or even the later days for Whammo. Doug "Wacker" James at We-FM too. Still conveying that hip, edgy attitude that moved CHR to the FM dial. All followed well in that progression from that slightly affected Van Dyke or Winston AM sound to screamers like CFL's Doc Brock to the WLS guys like Lujack or Landecker. Now as for someone like Don Geronimo? That's another matter. Certainly another of the group that moved CHR to FM, but I found Geronimo to be always irritating. Never liked him at BBM or WLS. Same for Dahl. Not pleasant to listen to at all.

Ken's been there many years. Since Oldies/Magic/Oldies/104.3 WJMK and thru Jack into K-Hits. I never considered his voice unpleasant.

Spent some time out in the northwest suburbs, along with a quick move to do morning drive in Minneapolis too. Maybe it's all a story but as I understand it Ken stumbled into radio when he suffered a career ending injury playing minor league baseball in the south. Started doing color for the team's radio broadcast. Started jocking at a small town station in the Carolina's. Moved to Charleston SC, Savannah GA and then Indianapolis. He was maybe all of 21 when he hit WMET. Back to a pair of stations in Indpls including an all-disco music station and back to Chicago. Worked with him briefly in Indianapolis. He made an impact being one of the few guys who would take the time to encourage a green 19 year old who was way out of his league at his first large market station. Always appreciated that. Haven't talked with him in well over 30 years. He's had his high and low points but basically has kept his hand in radio as one of those hard to find weekend and swing guys who can be more than depended on to put the work in for a solid air shift week after week.

Just stumbled upon this site and it's interesting. Sorry that Stagg Movie doesn't like my voice, but it's cool, I'm not for everyone. Appreciate what others have had to say and it's true that I was a baseball player. Not sure I exactly 'stumbled' into radio, but unlike a lot of guys and gals in the biz, it was not my first love. Unmentioned here is my 8 year tenure at WUSN which I really enjoyed. Thanks to all of you who have listened over the years and that's right, I was 21 when I arrived in Feb. 1978 at WMET...I am truly blessed to have just celebrated my 61st birthday in March and to still be on the radio

I have been a fan of Ken Cocker since he started on Chicago radio. To be a Chicago radio personality, you must have talent and Ken is a talented guy. I find nothing wrong with his voice and truly enjoy listening to him. We are blessed to have grown up in Chicago and been able to have so many great talents on the radio.

I have been a fan of Ken Cocker since he started on Chicago radio. To be a Chicago radio personality, you must have talent and Ken is a talented guy. I find nothing wrong with his voice and truly enjoy listening to him. We are blessed to have grown up in Chicago and been able to have so many great talents on the radio.

I know it is months later, but it is like the old saying goes "one person's trash is another person's treasure" ], I am glad that you like him and a fan of his show, but I just don't like his voice. While you might have to have talent to work in Chicago, and sometimes you just might also have good luck as well, as WGN Radio has a history of handing people that have no previous experience hosting a radio show, and gave them their first experience hosting a radio show.

Well Ken, I for one have enjoyed your long tenure in Chicago, even when/if the station that you're on isn't my favorite! Your voice is a 'familiar friend' in a radio landscape that has been mostly changing for the worst. Happy (very!) belated birthday, and I hope you have many more on-air years in Chicago to come.

Well Ken, I for one have enjoyed your long tenure in Chicago, even when/if the station that you're on isn't my favorite! Your voice is a 'familiar friend' in a radio landscape that has been mostly changing for the worst. Happy (very!) belated birthday, and I hope you have many more on-air years in Chicago to come.

And I am going to tell you the same that i told Dr Wayne, I am glad that you like him and his show, I haven't, and I bet he be glad to read that you and Dr Wayne are fans of his, expect for I doubt he looks at this age, as I see he has only done 1 post and that was to a reply to this very topic.

And thank you, staggmovie for reminding us again why you're such a welcome addition to this website.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom