• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Latiest ratings release for D/FW

jefffwd

Regular Participant
Can someone please post the most current ratings for D/FW??? I don't even care if they are 6+ I just want to take a look. :confused:

My goodness, KLUV is really doing well! But I wonder why they play a song like White Wedding from Billy Idol? Talk about deep cut and I can't believe it would test well at all.

R

My goodness, KLUV is really doing well! But I wonder why they play a song like White Wedding from Billy Idol? Talk about deep cut and I can't believe it would test well at all.

R

Deep cut only so far as its chart position went. It was huge on MTV, as were many of Idol's videos.

Deep cut only so far as its chart position went. It was huge on MTV, as were many of Idol's videos.

That's interesting because I watched MTV way too much back then and I don't remember them ever showing this one. I do remember seeing Eyes Without A Face many times.

R

I'd venture to guess White Wedding tests better than Eyes Without A Face does. The classic rockers here have always played White Wedding, looks like now its KLUV's time.

I'm surprised to see that it only peaked at #36. That song has always gotten a ton of airplay and is well known and loved.

But consider that the studio version of Mony Mony was never a single (it's the live cut from the 1987 greatest hits that hit #1) yet it's the studio cut that everyone knows and gets the airplay today.

That's interesting because I watched MTV way too much back then and I don't remember them ever showing this one. I do remember seeing Eyes Without A Face many times.

R

I remember seeing "Rebel Yell" more often than any of them, but I do recall the "White Wedding" video as well.

It's really not unusual for a relative stiff to be more popular as a classic. Fleetwood Mac's most popular songs today were, with a few exceptions, stiffs when they were released. The group has only one #1 hit in the US, and a large percentage of its most popular songs today failed to crack the top-20.

It's really not unusual for a relative stiff to be more popular as a classic. Fleetwood Mac's most popular songs today were, with a few exceptions, stiffs when they were released. The group has only one #1 hit in the US, and a large percentage of its most popular songs today failed to crack the top-20.

A more recent example that comes to mind is Sublime "Santeria". Despite only reaching #43 on Billboard's Hot 100 Airplay Chart and #38 at Adult Top 40, it has become one of the best testing and enduring songs of the 90s. It didn't even reach the R&R top 50 at CHR, but yet I recall it was getting the occasional gold spin at KHKS in the late 2000s. 20 years later, it still gets the occasional gold spin at KIIS in L.A.

There was an interesting article about songs that are "no hit wonders" that were more popular years after they are released:

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/7356964/stealth-hit-wonder

A more recent example that comes to mind is Sublime "Santeria". Despite only reaching #43 on Billboard's Hot 100 Airplay Chart and #38 at Adult Top 40, it has become one of the best testing and enduring songs of the 90s. It didn't even reach the R&R top 50 at CHR, but yet I recall it was getting the occasional gold spin at KHKS in the late 2000s. 20 years later, it still gets the occasional gold spin at KIIS in L.A.

I remembered during the 2000s when KHKS would play 90s rock hits and "Santeria" was interesting to hear. Other songs I was surprised to hear were "Last Resort" by Papa Roach (months after their 2005 hit "Scars" hit top 40), "Calling You" by Blue October (after their 2006 hit "Hate Me" but that was because of a re-release), and recall "Under the Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, "All the Small Things" by Blink 182, and "When I Come Around" by Green Day getting some occasional airplay on Kiss FM. And of course, no one would forget that "Baby Got Back" became a staple song for almost all top 40 stations.

I grew up with Kiss FM when I was a child in the 90s and remembered the time when Kiss would never play any rock song unless it cracked the top 3. That changed in 2001 when I heard bands like Matchbox 20, Lenny Kravitz, Blink 182, and Linkin Park being played more often than sounding too rhythmic before. Unfortunately, top 40 today doesn't sound too appealing as it did before.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom