• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

some DFW-far north texas radio news for you

Man getting KZPS in Texoma is going to be even rougher now. 92.7 out of Paris already makes it hard enough as is.

at least you still have IHeartRadio.com and the IHeartRadio app to hear it online if you are unable to pick it up via traditional OTA radio signal, sadly, you won't hear the actual station during the overnight hours on IHeartRadio or hear the normal radio ads either.

KGAF was granted a license to cover in November 2016 for a signal upgrade. Day is now 1200 watts non-directional and nights is now 280 non-directional. This replaces the previous license of 250 watts non-D day and 250 direction 2 tower array at night which was created in 1985 after 1580 being a daytimer at 250 non - directional since October 1947.
By the way, October 1, 1947 is the 70th anniversary of KGAF 1580 being on the air. (CP granted April 1947, programming commenced October 1, 1947, license to cover granted November 1947)

I have noticed the Signal has been a lot better for some time now in Fannin.

88.9 FM KETR, the Texas A&M University of Commerce owned NPR Public Radio station is undergoing a transmitter building upgrade as the old transmitter building in Commerce had been showing it's age and needed to be replaced, KETR reduced it's signal during this new transmitter building construction, they were gonna move from the old transmitter building to the new one last week, but Commerce received about to to 15 inches of rain during the weekend leading up to the schedule date of upgrade and postponed it to this week.

KETR went off the air on Tuesday as they began the process of the move to the new transmitter building and won't be back on the air until Thursday.
http://ketr.org/post/ketr-transmitter-building-update-august-completion-expected

Last edited:
update on KETR, it's back on the air as the transmitter building transition is complete and their transmitter is in the new building

ABMedia1, I'm going to chime in with you and tell you I think you are spot on! (No surprise to some of the readers.) I have continued to believe that every one looking for "the diamond in the coal mine" is not the right approach. You have permission to argue, but I think with a good, solid format, many of the hundreds of formats can work in North Texas! Find you niche. Figure it out! BE THE AUTHORITY IN YOUR NICHE. That's all KVIL really did. I think Steve is doing it in Gainesville and I, for one find it exciting that he actually will have listeners in the D-FW area. Steve might be in that coal mine right not about to touch that diamond.

Last edited:
i actually wrote this a year and a half ago, I'm surprised to see it still active.

jay weaver, i really don't disagree with you on really anything with what you wrote, (as a matter of fact i agree with you) but though every station is different, every market is different, all i know is with my experience from working in the sherman denison market is that its a whole different ballgame here than in dfw all i can do is share my experience with the shed-den market on here, though i have found finding your niche works better here in sherman denison (from what i learned here) now else where like in other markets i know its different and you have to do a lot of research on your market audience and your format, i grew up as a kid in the radio business i learned side by side by the movers and shakers in sherman denison radio, I'm now 22 doing my own radio thing now, not on kqdr anymore.

on the subject of KVIL though i was referring to their hot ac era, now since they are a top 40, i think they have found their niche and i think they are doing okay with the right choice. kmkt i think they doing okay as well even with their retooling. KGAF is doing great i think, i think steve has that station running tight. KFYN has found their niche and doing well i think, libertynt please correct me if I'm wrong.

on the subject of KVIL though i was referring to their hot ac era, now since they are a top 40, i think they have found their niche and i think they are doing okay with the right choice. kmkt i think they doing okay as well even with their retooling. KGAF is doing great i think, i think steve has that station running tight. KFYN has found their niche and doing well i think, libertynt please correct me if I'm wrong.

KFYN seems to have found its place in the market and is doing better than it had been but not where it was when KFYZ was still on-air. (But thats more due to the limited coverage area of the facility after losing that C3)

The Sherman-Denison-Durant market seems to thrive by offering "local focused" formats that are just different enough from the Dallas market stations to stay afloat. That said, all of the Sherman stations are satellite fed at some point during the day if not most of the day. KFYN is the only one I know of that has no satellite delivered format or DJs. KQDR might be the only other exception as I'm not aware of them using a sat service but admittedly I don't tune that one in very often, KLAK might be the runner-up in staying local but at this point I see them as more of a Collin County station with little Sherman focus.

KMAD is probably the most obvious of the satellite stations since I can hear the other DG affiliated station on 101.9 playing the same exact songs at nearly the same exact time. KSEO is the same, sharing the format with KSST.

Last edited:
i could speak on kqdr from when i was there from 2014-2016, with the exception of a couple of syndicated shows (local max style), the only local guys were me, jake, and jj. we had a rule there at the time no satellite programming what so ever... when we had the hockey games we had an internet feed piped in, outside of live and syndicated programming we ran on computer assist. so long story short about 85 percent we were live and local. personally i wished we had a stronger signal, although we had the best coverage for a class A, personally i wished we had better collin county coverage so we could have an equal ground competing KLAK reception wise but its all good.

Now that's interesting, I didn't think HCR was looking to sell off their stations. I wonder if any formatic changes are on the way, I can't seem to find anything on E Radio Network.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom