• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rock 98.9 has its new PD

It's Dave Numme, who was PD at KUFO/Portland for about 15 years. He also worked for KGON. I think it's a good hire - he certainly knows the area.

If 98.9 dumped the Jurassic Rock and upstaged KISW in the metal music and kept the talk low (oh and maybe PROMOTED it in a big way around town), KISW would have a major problem on their hands. This area is full of metalheads. \m/

If 98.9 dumped the Jurassic Rock and upstaged KISW in the metal music and kept the talk low (oh and maybe PROMOTED it in a big way around town), KISW would have a major problem on their hands. This area is full of metalheads. \m/

Well that settles it, Marc Kaye can send Numme back to Portland since the expert has spoken his wisdom.

Folks on this board keep talking about 98.9 going after KISW. I just don't see it. 99.9 has morphed into an active rock lifestyle/ talk station. And they are doing well at it. But there are A TON of listeners to pick off from KZOK and KJR-FM. I still contend that 98.9 is firmly chasing 102.5 and 95.7 listeners, in that order. If they get a few from KISW, that's gravy.

I hear a lot of talk on this board about the people in Bellevue being idiots, but I wonder how well 92.5 and 106.9 are billing. I bet pretty damned well. They have been using 98.9 as a defensive format- tweaking it to protect Warm and Movin, and now have made a strategic move to make 98.9 an offensive station, tearing off classic rock numbers. Apparently they believe Movin and Warm no longer need the protection. I think they know what they are doing.

Folks on this board keep talking about 98.9 going after KISW. I just don't see it. 99.9 has morphed into an active rock lifestyle/ talk station. And they are doing well at it. But there are A TON of listeners to pick off from KZOK and KJR-FM. I still contend that 98.9 is firmly chasing 102.5 and 95.7 listeners, in that order. If they get a few from KISW, that's gravy.

Their approach is not working, they're not going to get Jet listeners with a steady diet of double-entendre liners. They're not going to coax people from any of the three good morning shows on KISW, KZOK or The Jet by playing a handful of songs every 16 hours. A giant music sweep of songs heard on four (six including Jack and Alt 102.9) different stations ain't going to cut it long term without offering something fresh and different.

I hear a lot of talk on this board about the people in Bellevue being idiots, but I wonder how well 92.5 and 106.9 are billing. I bet pretty damned well. They have been using 98.9 as a defensive format- tweaking it to protect Warm and Movin, and now have made a strategic move to make 98.9 an offensive station, tearing off classic rock numbers. Apparently they believe Movin and Warm no longer need the protection. I think they know what they are doing.

There are some smart people working there, but it's often overshadowed by an individual there through known and not well known stories.

Rock 98.9 offers nothing you can't already get on another Seattle radio station. Until they do, saying they are on the offense is incorrect.

The truly amusing thing is how you actually believe that, and your "strategy" is sound.

And the flat-out hysterical part of it is how your own ego is so easily bruised to carry on like that over a mere suggestion if I'm such a nothing.....Sheesh! Just go back to your safe zone and take a few slow deep breaths. Everything's going to be OK.

And the flat-out hysterical part of it is how your own ego is so easily bruised to carry on like that over a mere suggestion if I'm such a nothing.....Sheesh! Just go back to your safe zone and take a few slow deep breaths. Everything's going to be OK.

Aren't you just adorable?

For what it's worth, Rock 98.9 has at least one new dedicated listener.... Was out riding he bike near a park and a dude was rocking out to 98.9, with it on full blast from his car stereo. He was boppin' his head and everything. Van Halen, ya know. The only thing missing was the actual van.

And maybe the smoke?

Tsktsktsk, This is Seattle. We don't smoke pot here. We VAPE it through super concentrated oils of up to and beyond 90% pure THC by commercially marketed replaceable cartridges. Your friendly legal recreational cannabis professional has further information. ;)

As for car radios, the last time I remember hearing one was in the Skyway 7-Eleven parking lot one morning a few weeks back. Some guy was streaming Kevin & Bean on KROQ in his car as he pulled up.

As for car radios, the last time I remember hearing one was in the Skyway 7-Eleven parking lot one morning a few weeks back. Some guy was streaming Kevin & Bean on KROQ in his car as he pulled up.

Funny, I hear them a lot. In traffic. Car stereos worth at least twice as much than the car they're installed in.

I hear a few car stereos... mostly playing pop stations / pop music.

I don't hear / feel the subwoofers as much as I used to during the late 1990's and 2000's. Maybe they're slowly going out of style. I know the music isn't going out of style, though.

Used to hear and feel those subwoofers on the highway a lot more frequently.

I do as well, but usually now they're playing some sort of music I can at least tolerate, rather than the annoying rap that they used to. I think you're right too, I remember one time in our neighborhood several years ago someone had the stereo up so loud that the back license plate was rattling. Those thankfully are getting more and more rare.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom