• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Ty Flint is back on Seattle morning radio!!

Who twisted his arm to even want to bother with radio again? Ty, if you're reading this, enjoy your retirement and please, don't feed the demon that radio has become.

No offense to Ty, but the fact that most listeners that remember him doing news on KUBE are all over 50, make his return to the air that less meaningful. Seattle area listeners within the demographic range that stations are looking for, don't remember those days nor were even living in the area.

No offense to Ty, but the fact that most listeners that remember him doing news on KUBE are all over 50, make his return to the air that less meaningful. Seattle area listeners within the demographic range that stations are looking for, don't remember those days nor were even living in the area.

Kelly, you're wrong. The Charlie & Ty show didn't leave the air 'til '97. I'm not even close to fifty, and still remember KUBE in their mainstream CHR days during the '80s.

Kelly, you're wrong. The Charlie & Ty show didn't leave the air 'til '97. I'm not even close to fifty, and still remember KUBE in their mainstream CHR days during the '80s.

So, 20 years ago, -1. The guy who retired also had a history in Seattle. Ty may want to get back in, but will Charlie? And would either be willing to work for a small market salary? Reality check!

But they were gone from KUBE before '97.

IIRC, their show was simulcast on KJR-FM and KUBE, but around '94 the T-Man show fired up on KUBE.

And didn't Bill Rice do the news for Charlie and Ty?

P.S. despite my increasing age, I am nowhere near 50 and remember Charlie and Ty very well.

To me, they wanted a quality news person. And in getting Ty Flint, they hit the jackpot. Kudos to KXXO.

Again, if Ty wants to dabble in radio and it pleases the handful of enthusiasts who even know who he is after all the years, good on him. I witnessed first hand what happened when KJR-FM debuted, trying to rekindle the whole KJR-AM genre and loyalists. Needless to say, it didn't work as planned.

Ty's on again this morning - this time with newsreader Ann D'Angelo. Maybe he's RP McMurphy's replacement. Or they'll give the gig to Dick Pust...

Is the Charlie we're talking about Charlie Brown, who used to voice KJR when it returned to Classic Hits in 2002? If so I vaguely remember this morning team, but remember the team on KBSG much more clearly since they were around longer. I was I think 6 when KJR went Mix. I've still got a sticker from Mix stuck to a table that was up here in my room for many years.

Is the Charlie we're talking about Charlie Brown, who used to voice KJR when it returned to Classic Hits in 2002? If so I vaguely remember this morning team, but remember the team on KBSG much more clearly since they were around longer. I was I think 6 when KJR went Mix. I've still got a sticker from Mix stuck to a table that was up here in my room for many years.

Charlie Brown first worked at KJR during evenings in the late 60's. He then went to KJRB Spokane as morning man. When Emporer Smith moved on, Charlie came in and replaced him circa 1973. Charlie then took a bigtime offer at KLIF in Dallas, this would have been '75 or so. (sorry the dates are escaping me). Charlie did not like Dallas, or Dallas didn't like him (there is some debate about this)...so Charlie came back to KJR replacing Ichabod Caine, and lasted many years after, eventually going to upstart KUBE-FM in '81.

Then he was back on KJR in the mid 90s, right? Then was the station's voice as Classic Hits when it relaunched in 2002? About the only thing I remember about that morning show clearly is Bill Rice on news.

Then he was back on KJR in the mid 90s, right? Then was the station's voice as Classic Hits when it relaunched in 2002? About the only thing I remember about that morning show clearly is Bill Rice on news.

As I mentioned upthread, Charlie and Ty was simulcast on both KUBE and KJR starting in 1994 until the T-Man started on KUBE. Then they were on KJR only.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19940715&slug=1920417

T-Man started Sept 1995, so the simulcast didn't last as long as I remember it lasting (funny how things seemed to last *forever* when you were a kid).

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19950915&slug=2141689

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom