• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

First Rock & Roll Song

No need to re-visit history. I was there. My post clearly referred to "the part of the country where I lived". For Wisconsin high school kids in 1955 and 1956, Alabama, Mississippi, and Southern preachers were in another universe.

In the 50's I was growing up in Tucson, AZ - another universe removed from WI. Yet we had TV and radio news as well as two daily newspapers that covered those social unrests quite thoroughly. And while I don't remember specifics I am quite sure the major events were covered in school as well.

In the 50's I was growing up in Tucson, AZ - another universe removed from WI. Yet we had TV and radio news as well as two daily newspapers that covered those social unrests quite thoroughly. And while I don't remember specifics I am quite sure the major events were covered in school as well.

I applaud you for being interested in world events at a young age. I'm guessing that you were Valedictorian of your class. Frankly, I was too busy rockin' & rollin'.

As far off topic as this has strayed, I'd like to cite a couple examples of how rock 'n' roll became more acceptable to adult listeners of the time. Instrumentals were one factor; the String-a-longs' "Wheels" was a rock record, but it was also a conventionally 'pretty' tune, and beautifully performed. Even anti-rock listeners could hear it and think, "hmmm, that's not so bad." Novelty songs were another; the goofiness of David Seville's "Witch Doctor" and its then-new gimmick of the sped-up vocal showed rock 'n' roll could have a sense of humor too. (Both instros and novelties are noticeably lacking from the contemporary scene...)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom