Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Air1 in Mobile?

  1. #1
    tomservo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LA (Lower Alabama)
    Posts
    5,691

    Air1 in Mobile?

    A friend pointed this out to me the other day, but apparently the W243CY translator on 96.5 that was "squirreled away" to the WZEW tower south of town with just 10 watts has changed the parent station from ZEW to KZAI out of Arizona. KZAI is EMF's Air1, their contemporary Christian format that is a companion to K-Love.

    Obviously I'm too far away from the area to tell if it's even on the air, but if it is I believe it's the first Air1 affiliate anywhere on the immediate coast.

  2. #2
    It appears Edgewater is hording premium spectrum on 92.5 and 96.5 until someone is willing to pay top dollar to buy a Mobile translator with no strings attached.
    Speculation?
    Poledo

  3. #3
    I was in Mobile this afternoon. I was unable to pick up any local signals on 92.5 or 96.5.
    Also, 99.5 The Jag's signal is quite inferior west of I-65 compared to 100.3 The Beat's signal.
    103.3 and 103.5 cover everything.
    97.9 and 106.1 aren't on the air yet but I believe 95.7 was already off the air.
    Poledo

  4. #4
    tomservo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LA (Lower Alabama)
    Posts
    5,691
    Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised that religious translator owners would lie to the FCC and say the translators are on the air when they're really not. It seems to be a very common thing.

  5. #5
    rfburns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Central MS
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by tomservo View Post
    A friend pointed this out to me the other day, but apparently the W243CY translator on 96.5 that was "squirreled away" to the WZEW tower south of town with just 10 watts has changed the parent station from ZEW to KZAI out of Arizona. KZAI is EMF's Air1, their contemporary Christian format that is a companion to K-Love.

    Obviously I'm too far away from the area to tell if it's even on the air, but if it is I believe it's the first Air1 affiliate anywhere on the immediate coast.
    I would be interested in knowing where your friend got the information. I can't find anything that shows the parent station to be KZAI.

    RFB

  6. #6
    tomservo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LA (Lower Alabama)
    Posts
    5,691
    Quote Originally Posted by rfburns View Post
    I would be interested in knowing where your friend got the information. I can't find anything that shows the parent station to be KZAI.

    RFB
    *scratches head*

    OK, this is really strange. I saw it with my own two eyes on FCCdata.org that the parent was KZAI. Now it is back to WZEW.

    Guess I'll change it back on my website. But I *did* see it, and obviously someone else did as well since they sent me the link.

  7. #7
    rfburns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Central MS
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by tomservo View Post
    *scratches head*

    OK, this is really strange. I saw it with my own two eyes on FCCdata.org that the parent was KZAI. Now it is back to WZEW.

    Guess I'll change it back on my website. But I *did* see it, and obviously someone else did as well since they sent me the link.

    No problem. My guess is someone made a typographical error and corrected it later. KZAI as the parent station would have been near impossible, as W243CY is a commercial frequency and has to be fed by an off air signal. Arizona to Alabama would have been quite a haul

    RFB

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Somewhere In Selma Alabama
    Posts
    2,010
    I believe that Air-1 will be the relayed station, on here, once they get a lease established with a WZEW HD channel. Just thinking out loud.

    Dan <><

    P.S. Although your site doesn't say it Mr. Zach, does WZEW have any HD channels? I believe this station might be working on getting some started, so Air-1 can have a home on one. Still thinking out loud.
    Last edited by R.D.P.; 05-13-2016 at 07:29 PM.
    Owner, Operator and All Around Guy for WPJB-LP, Jesus Radio 93.3 FM, Selma
    Resident Music Director for WPJN, Praise 89.3 FM, Clanton

  9. #9
    tomservo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    LA (Lower Alabama)
    Posts
    5,691
    Quote Originally Posted by R.D.P. View Post
    I believe that Air-1 will be the relayed station, on here, once they get a lease established with a WZEW HD channel. Just thinking out loud.

    Dan <><

    P.S. Although your site doesn't say it Mr. Zach, does WZEW have any HD channels? I believe this station might be working on getting some started, so Air-1 can have a home on one. Still thinking out loud.
    I dunno, the word that I heard was that the people running ZEW were never actually asked if they could be the parent station, even if it was just on paper for the application. They were not happy about it. I doubt they would install HD unless someone paid them handsomely to do so. Their station has one of the poorer signals in the Mobile area and HD wouldn't reach reliably to where their listeners are, I suspect.

  10. #10
    rfburns's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Central MS
    Posts
    729
    Quote Originally Posted by tomservo View Post
    I dunno, the word that I heard was that the people running ZEW were never actually asked if they could be the parent station, even if it was just on paper for the application. They were not happy about it. I doubt they would install HD unless someone paid them handsomely to do so. Their station has one of the poorer signals in the Mobile area and HD wouldn't reach reliably to where their listeners are, I suspect.
    Edgewater Broadcasting relaying Air1 on one of their translators? Not likely. I suspect Edgewater will sell this one off if someone offers the right price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

     
Useful Contacts
Community


123