• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Unions, contracts, non-competes and so forth........

hamster

Frequent Participant
For almost 15 years ( 1988 -2004 ) I had worked in radio. In all of those years I was never part of a union nor had I signed any contract much less a non-compete. Come to think of it the only paperwork I had ever signed in regards to employment was the usual tax stuff for W2s. Anyway yesterday I had a job interview and the supervisor who had did the interview was shocked that I had told her about me not being part of a union and the lack of contract when I had done radio. My question is this...was I a rare bird for being employed in the radio business and NOT being in say the AFTRA or having to sign a contract ?? I get the feeling that I was since so many postings on here and elsewhere is about so and so not having their contract renewed or being part of a union. For the record BTW for most of those 15 years I was employed full time in radio.

For almost 15 years ( 1988 -2004 ) I had worked in radio. In all of those years I was never part of a union nor had I signed any contract much less a non-compete. Come to think of it the only paperwork I had ever signed in regards to employment was the usual tax stuff for W2s. Anyway yesterday I had a job interview and the supervisor who had did the interview was shocked that I had told her about me not being part of a union and the lack of contract when I had done radio. My question is this...was I a rare bird for being employed in the radio business and NOT being in say the AFTRA or having to sign a contract ??

That depends on the markets and duties you performed in those markets. Most larger cities, especially on the East Coast and some in the Midwest cities (Chicago) have longstanding union representation.

That depends on the markets and duties you performed in those markets. Most larger cities, especially on the East Coast and some in the Midwest cities (Chicago) have longstanding union representation.

Exactly. But I'm sure the majority of people in radio aren't in unions or under contract.

However, some companies have employees sign "agreements" which are similar to contracts, but are usually filled with employee requirements, like office behavior, company policies, and even the non-compete. These things come up when you start work, might even be in the form of an employee handbook, and appear to be innocuous, but could actually bite you if you're not careful.

I have had friends who worked in AFTRA union shops. For the life of me I could not figure
out what good it did them. Sure didn't provide job security!

At my first job near a major market, the announcers were members of IBEW local 77. Never quite understood why a disk jockey would be in the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (well of course we did push buttons and turn knobs).

You don't see AFTRA or IBEW in the radio stations located in the Southern US so I don't have any experience with them. As for non competes, a station once had the nerve to try to get me to sign one for a part-time on air job with no hours stipulated. I walked away from that one. I don't believe in contracts that only benefit one side (unless it's my side!).

No union, no contract in my radio history, I've always been "Mr. At-Will". The only paperwork I've signed is the "I won't take payola (for an oldies station?)" and that I watched the sexual harassment video.

Never been in a Union market. Even in small markets I usually had to sign a non-compete. If I didn't like it, I was able to get away with not providing a signed copy by simply saying "Are you sure? I thought I gave that to you. Let me finish up what I'm doing and we'll take care of this". They'd forget and nothing would be said for a few months. Then I'd repeat the same routine.

I've worked for both union and non-union shops. I even worked at a place that began as non-union, and later voted to have a union as the company grew and changed. It really depends on the job and the company. The union works well when there are clearly defined roles. It's completely unnecessary when it's a more personal, direct situation. If everyone agrees, there's no need for a union. When that changes, then you need someone on your side. It doesn't mean you'll win. Just that you have representation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom