• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KOST #1 6+ Again

I understand about the demographics. All I have access to is the 6+. My point was the move of Wallengren to afternoon drive from morning drive. Since there are others here who have all the numbers, can anyone tell me if that move of Wallengren has been a ratings success for the desired demo?

So I've seen some mention here of the KLOS/KSWD "rivalry" and since the 6+ ratings have been so eloquently defined as irrelevant, what are the 25-54 breakouts between the two stations? How badly is Mark in the morning kicking Heidi & Franks ass? Since rock stations traditionally skew male, what are the male numbers for the two stations? Is Nash in KLOS' imminent future?

I'm under the impression that vinyl records came back into fashion because rappers and DJs (not radio DJs) were using them as percussion - "scratching," or whatever they called it.

This is true, but it doesn't give Beasing an excuse for it on KSWD.

It should be pointed out that even without looking at specific dayparts, the esteemed Sr. Gleason has already mentioned that in 25-54 there is only a 3.0 point spread among the top 18 stations. With that in mind, there probably isn't any "kicking ass" going on in any daypart as the margin of error is going to come into play heavily.

I doubt Cumulus is looking to flip KLOS to Nash for a couple of reasons: First, they are within that 18-station range and (subject to that statistical "wobble" potential, higher than KSWD on the list) and second, KKGO is not on that 18-station list, meaning fewer potential listeners for 95.5 if it did go Country.

Until David decides to answer the questions specifically (because I know you'd all reject my answers), here is a link to the AllAccess analysis of the March PPM numbers, posted on Monday:
http://www.allaccess.com/net-news/a...r-inc-exclusive-march-ppm-analysis?ref=search

My recollection of when the 25-54 demo breakout was added is approximately the same as Huff's, but my memory is fuzzy about details like those after close to 40 years. I'll defer to his timeline as he seems to have done the research, but I'll also dig around and see if I still have any copies of Arbitron books from that era, if for no other reason but to confirm his data.

The original ARB markets in 1965 had Teens, and 18-34 and 35+ in both men and women.
Reformatting of the books in late 1966 brought the following primary demos: 12-17, 18-34, 18-49, 25-49, 25-64 and 35-64. These were also more narrowly broken out along the following lines: 18-24, 25-34, 35-49 and 50-64. This format can be seen in the Spring 1973 San Francisco book on Mr. Gleason's site: http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Ratings-Documents/ARB-SF-1973-Apr-May.pdf

I was incorrect before, the re-definition of demos took place with the first books of 1977. That is when the current narrow demos came into place (18-24, 25-34, 35-44, 45-54, 55-64) and the now familiar 25-54 primary demo was born.

I doubt Cumulus is looking to flip KLOS to Nash

I agree with what that, and based on what they've done with KFOG in SF, they're more likely to improve their current format. It certainly helps that The Sound is doing so poorly in the 25-54s. They've clearly won that battle. It was just announced that they have a new marketing person in the cluster, and it'll be her job to raise the profile of the station in the market. They're obviously banking on using a newly raised profile to improve revenues with the existing format. Whatever happens, it will be decided within their own cluster, not imposed by Atlanta.

This is true, but it doesn't give Beasing an excuse for it on KSWD.

Plus scratching can be done electronically now with turntable looking "wheels" that you scratch with.

So I've seen some mention here of the KLOS/KSWD "rivalry" and since the 6+ ratings have been so eloquently defined as irrelevant, what are the 25-54 breakouts between the two stations? How badly is Mark in the morning kicking Heidi & Franks ass? Since rock stations traditionally skew male, what are the male numbers for the two stations? Is Nash in KLOS' imminent future?

Buyers use rating, not share. KLOS and KSWD are both tied for 10th in 25-54 with a 0.3. Both are tied in the morning in 25-54 with a 0.3 rating.

Between Hispanics, African Americans, Asians and other first generation immigrants, 70% or more of LA's population is ethnic. There just is not a big enough core for two country stations, and there is definitely not any core for a format reflecting "Nashville Values" (with all due credit to Ted Cruz).

Cbs-fm still does turntable Tuesdays where they play a song on Vinyl once an hour, I have never heard any scratches or skips so they at least make sure that the record they are playing is clean and that the needle is operable for broadcast playblack.

The newest dj equipment has certainly gotten much better at mimicking the scratching effect, it is very very close now, but to get that perfect sound and feel technics 1200s are still needed. The Serato dj software allows you to play files off your computer but to control them with a technics 1200 turntable, using a special record, and your mp3s from your computer are manipulated just the same as if it were a vinyl record that you were playing. So yeah you gotta carry the turntables to your gig(most good clubs have their own ready to go), but you only need to bring those 2 special "records" for each turntable and then you can play any file you want off your laptop computer/ipad etc.

ALT 987 is #2 18-34. With the history, habits, and taste established by KROQ LA remains a special market where alternative music is beloved. The thing is, can they sell it? Radio 104-5 in Philly is #1 18-34, #2 18-49, and #3 25-54 but it's like 15th in sales, making less money than stations with no demos. Let that be a lesson, even so called pros who are paid very good money who have all the data they ever want still can't place buys correctly as they wiff on what are surely good rates at a station that delivers the prime demos their customers seek.

Just like the fact that no hot ac or chr station in USA as of this post is playing Gnash "I hate u I love u" and this will be one of the top testing songs among their female audience once they finally wake up and play the dang hit song.

Just like the fact that no hot ac or chr station in USA as of this post is playing Gnash "I hate u I love u" and this will be one of the top testing songs among their female audience once they finally wake up and play the dang hit song.

It's not among the top 100 streaming songs either.

No it's not, right now :) Let's return to this thread in 6 weeks and see where it is then.

No it's not, right now :) Let's return to this thread in 6 weeks and see where it is then.

And in six weeks, if it hasn't achieved your predictions, will you promise not to make any more?

But by then, it will also be added to some CHR stations. Because most MDs watch streaming charts pretty carefully.

The trick in adding songs is not be so new that it's unfamiliar, but new enough so it's seen as cutting edge. Especially if we're talking about an artist without a big fan base or track record. Six weeks is a long time in CHR radio.

Last edited:

You mean this thread that is about the latest ratings release for the LA Metro area?

Full disclosure: my rant was partially off-topic as well, but still at least it was about an LA radio station. I realize the first part of your post is in response to my post, but as for what that has to do with picking future hit songs...

And that's one reason why I'd recommend the allaccess.com ratings summaries, as they generally include 18-34 and 25-54 as well as a bit of verbal perspective. Granted, one must sign up, but I have never been spammed by allaccess sources or vendors, so it's worth the minor inconvenience for the deeper content.

My point of view is that many, if not most, people in the industry do not look at 6+ or 12+ at all. It gives a distorted view of a station performance that is often distracting from the real focus of performing in a station's target. In other words, the data can be dangerous.

I'm going to ask a silly question.

Why do they even publish 6+ or 12+ numbers?

I'm going to ask a silly question.

Why do they even publish 6+ or 12+ numbers?

Not silly at all, in fact give the man a cigar for asking it.

The reason they do it is for the same reason the Hollywood studios release weekend box office revenues on Monday, and that is to get the public in general to talk about and be interested in your industry (by giving them information of perceived meaningful value, that is really rather useless for anything else other than to compare to other useless numbers). This otherwise known as free advertising.

The public likes to see where their favorite anything ranks. That is why awards shows and best of lists are so popular. In the movie industry, there are so many below the line variables that go into whether or not a movie is successful, that the published Monday revenue info is just as "worthless" to their insiders as the 6+ ratings numbers are to radio insiders. In both cases, it costs nothing to give the information away, but you get the free advertising benefit.

Maybe that is why I received a survey from them in my email box today that should only take a short 5 minutes to fill out. Hmm...

Well, I don't have five minutes to help them do their market research for free, but I will leave one little tidbit of advice here. Dave Beasing, even though we have been over this before, follow closely here because this is probably going to make your head explode. Ready? Here it is:

PLEASE, for the love God and the music you claim to care about so much, STOP playing music on vinyl with all of its snaps, crackles, and pops, and then proceeding to insult my intelligence by telling he how much better it sounds. I don't know what it is about aging hippies and their classic rock vinyl trips but it has got to stop. The world went to a clearly superior technology called CDs over 30(!) years ago, which is why vinyl disappeared entirely, just like the betamax and TRS-80 computer, only like the zombie apocalypse, vinyl records have returned from the dead. Only in the new millennium, Alice in Wonderland world we live in where up is down, wrong is right, and men can choose whatever bathrooms they want based on how they feel that day, is vinyl superior.

I have flipped from your station on several occasions because of the lower fidelity records you insanely choose to play. My musical ear is not the best, and I know if I can hear it, many others can to, and some percentage of them must have the same reaction, and it is a viscerally negative one. Thus playing vinyl doesn't make you more cool, it certainly doesn't add to your cume (nobody tunes a station in because they are playing vinyl records), but it definitely hurts your TSL. In short, it is an unforced error. Please convert your playlist to at least 1980's technology, quit insulting your hearing audience, and if you feel the need to spin anything, spin CDs .

I like vinyl myself; next time I go to Los Angeles, I'll have to listen to the Sound.

It might depend on the condition of the records or the care that they're given. I listen to vinyl myself (70s and 80s metal, mostly), and the occasional minor pop or tick is part of the experience of listening to vinyl. On the other hand, if it sounds like they're playing sandpaper on the turntables, either not enough care is taken to ensure that the vinyl is clean and/or of good quality (maybe they've never heard of Mobile Fidelity or Acoustic Sounds, companies that reissue classic albums on high-quality vinyl), or the DJs aren't taking good care of the records as they should be (records are not supposed to be used as Frisbees :) ). Grit on the stylus can be an issue, too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom