The Capcha Whammy

Thread: The Capcha Whammy

The Capcha Whammy

This scenario has now happened multiple times while replying to a post:

I complete my reply and am sent to a Capcha screen which requires a check mark. After entering it the screen goes blank and into a "processing" mode for about a minute then halts in place. There are no instructions telling me where to go now.

If I then hit "return" to go back to my post I am sent to the last previous post on that thread and mine has disappeared. If I restart RD and do a search for my post it is gone.

After writing your post, please copy the text so that you can re-post and paste your text into your new post.
    I know that the Capcha screen is a pain. It's necessary to help prevent Spammers from posting.

Frank

It seems to happen at random times. I tried to edit a post just now but I couldn't get the captcha to complete, but then I went back in and edited it with no problem and a captcha didn't come up.

It is definitely random.....and very irritating.

I get them too. It's irritating but they keep the BOTS away.

Quote Originally Posted by frankberry View Post
    I get them too. It's irritating but they keep the BOTS away.
    I haven't kept track of how often capcha shows up but my guess is about once in every 10 or so posts. Some sites use capcha all the time and I can see how that will protect against bots but how does a 10% appearance do that?

There are many factors which determine whether you will get the captcha screen or not. How many spammy posts have you seen on this site recently?

There are many factors which determine whether you will get the captcha screen or not. How many spammy posts have you seen on this site recently?
    None that I could identify - but then I don't recall ever seeing a spammy post (going back as long as I have been here).

I am not disputing that capcha works. Only asking....if it appears just so often how can it protect completely? I'm not sure if guests can post or not currently but other than guests we all have to log in so don't understand how capcha protects that way. At a 10% sample rate it would seem some spam would still make it through but it doesn't seem to happen.

Every single post is sampled. I won't give you any more information.
    Why are you complaining? You have access to this site for free.

Every single post is sampled. I won't give you any more information.
    Why are you complaining? You have access to this site for free.
    Not complaining. Trying to become educated.