• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why Full Time CCM Is Off The Table For Now

Done moved on from this subject. Already have laid out my plans for Jesus Radio. Not backing down from them. Working on getting the building phase started. Hope to do it soon.

Dan <><

May the Lord bless your new radio station.

May the Lord bless your new radio station.

...and you personally, Dan. Here's hoping you are successful in bringing a truly God serving ministry to Selma, Alabama; free from outsiders attempting to tear down what the Lord has obviously placed within your heart to build. I'm certainly praying for your success, all the way from over here in Texas. Let me know when you begin to stream, I'd like to sample what you program.

Will entertain a stream, once I sign on and can financially do it.

Dan <><

P.S. Thanks for all the kind words. I appreciate it.

...and you personally, Dan. Here's hoping you are successful in bringing a truly God serving ministry to Selma, Alabama; free from outsiders attempting to tear down what the Lord has obviously placed within your heart to build. I'm certainly praying for your success, all the way from over here in Texas. Let me know when you begin to stream, I'd like to sample what you program.

Amen to that, purple! Adding my prayers. What the Lord blesses, He will bless indeed!

Now for a prediction. I look for Moody Radio Selma and South to go all talk. This will happen sometime before or right after I sign on.

Dan <><

P.S. Outside of that response, the other local radio stations will remain as is.

Last edited:
rbrucecarter5, My comments were not directed towards you, but towards R.D.P. and were not purely religious. I made some valid points that as a Christian business person and an operator of a so called "Christian Radio Station" might want to consider. If that offends you, then too bad so sad.

So are you one of those college kids when someone says something they don't like they become "scared" and run to their safe place??? Grow up.

"so-called" indicates some judgmental on your part towards RDP. And online bullying of me (above) is inappropriate in a professional forum.

There are older Praise and Worship songs that most contemporary Evangelical churches won't do in their services, because they'll tell you we don't want to offend the younger folks [they won't use any song over 5 years old, I'm serious]. Yet for me, an older believer, those older praise and worship songs lift me to the heights of worship. .
Seriously?

I am reluctantly accepting some of these praise and worship songs in my church as long as they are done with a piano or organ and not a recording. I'm not around when they do those recordings, usually with a soloist or small group.

And even these are probably the "older" songs.

I notice even BBN starting to add what sounds to me like praise and worship. It still sounds good, though, overall, but it's the older songs that are meaningful to me. And I do mean the ones from back before today's young people were even born. Anything newer than that sounds "new" to me. And even that offends young people?

I get that even what is on CCM radio is "old" by the standards of those "contemporary Evangelical churches". But to me that just sounds like the same junk that's on secular AC radio. Christian lyrics don't change that perception for me. And I won't be reached by it.

So am I correct in understanding that the Moody station that might go all talk was doing what BBN does?

That's little ol' me making a prediction, about the response my new LPFM will get, once I sign on.

Dan <><

P.S. If our Moody station stays as is, after I start up, then good for them.

That's little ol' me making a prediction, about the response my new LPFM will get, once I sign on.

Dan <><

P.S. If our Moody station stays as is, after I start up, then good for them.
Okay, that's good. You can have your contemporary stations, but I don't want to see the conservative music stations go anywhere.

I can't speak for every Moody station, but the ones I've heard are mostly programs anyway, and when they have music it's usually soft AC, although on a recent trip to Chattanooga I was flipping across the dial and the Moody station there was playing Third Day! :)

I think that Moody isn't so much anti-CCM as that they probably feel like it's not their calling, and I honestly don't think they would know how to run a youth oriented CCM station anyway. But they're one of the best networks there is with teaching programs.

Last edited:
I can't speak for every Moody station, but the ones I've heard are mostly programs anyway, and when they have music it's usually soft AC, although on a recent trip to Chattanooga I was flipping across the dial and the Moody station there was playing Third Day! :)

I think that Moody isn't so much anti-CCM as that they probably feel like it's not their calling, and I honestly don't think they would know how to run a youth oriented CCM station anyway. But they're one of the best networks there is with teaching programs.
I was thinking I read Moody did conservative music. Maybe it's just BBN. Nothing they do would qualify as AC, soft or otherwise, though there was a time when AC would include songs like the most contemporary tunes they play now.

Some Moody stations might still do more traditional music, especially late night. I think they had a show called Music Through the night that was probably traditional and it may still be on. The main Moody stations I know about is a translator in Dyersburg, TN that is a station in KY and the Chattanooga station.

"so-called" indicates some judgmental on your part towards RDP. And online bullying of me (above) is inappropriate in a professional forum.

rbrucecarter5: In the first place RDP realized my original post was NOT judgmental at all towards him or his radio station, but a brother in the Lord offering some thoughts for him to consider and pray on. You sir complained about my comments and are the one who is trying very hard to make this personal.

Me asking you if you're one of those college kids who runs to their safe place when someone says something they don't like and telling you to grow up is NOT being a bully. You seriously need to get out more. I'm so glad that the young folks from the 1940's weren't as you seem to be here, because they'd have never been able to fight and survive D Day and all the real horrors of World War II if a simple thought as I posted could upset them as it appears to have upset you. So much for an intelligent conversation about Christian radio with you. I'm done discussing this with you. I wish you well. Be at peace.

If I might, Mike, I really would like to have an intelligent conversation with you. My concern with your post is that it seems to be the latest of many posts from you and others that push a particular style of Christian music over another. Sometimes these posts are tied to discussions of music in churches, which is unrelated to radio. There have also been attempts to suggest that one particular style of music is more sincere, spiritual, or acceptable to God than another. Those are religious topics that I feel are out of place on a broadcasting board. I have no desire to debate the relative religious nature of one style of Christian music over another.

It seems to me that what RDP is doing is filling a format hole in Selma, which is already served by "religious" and "gospel" stations, according to radio-locator. From previous posts, RDP has indicated these are Moody and AFR stations, which have virtually no listeners among young people. Coming on the air with CCM seems like a smart business move to me. If it fulfills a spiritual need in the city, so much the better.

I would really like to keep our discussion elevated beyond the contentious "anti-CCM" and "anti-Christian rock" debate - which has no place here. You have your opinion, I have mine. I admit that when somebody tries to get in my face with the anti-CCM attitude - in the past I have been more than a little bit insulted. I am over it. You personal musical taste is uninteresting to me. I am not interested in debating the issue because nobody is going to convince the other. So it is wasted time and effort and only fosters dissension on what should be a pleasant forum dedicated to Christian broadcasting.

That's right sir! I want to present the Gospel to those who are still being avoided, on purpose, by the other so called Christian radio stations we have.

Dan <><

Last edited:
That's right sir! I want to present the Gospel to those who are still being avoided, on purpose, by the other so called Christian radio stations we have.

Dan <><

RDP aka Dan, you didn't offer an objection to my earlier post, so you doing so now surprises me. I simply offered you a view and even made a positive comment regarding what you posted as the programming you were offering, so I truly am confused by this quote, now.

I haven't posted on the religious/ contemporary / Christian thread for quite some time, and now I remember why. Way too much petty non-sense from other "brothers and sisters in the Lord".

Bottom line to what I said to you is, if you believe the Lord is putting on your heart to air a certain type of CCM music or even Gregorian Chants, then that's what you should air on your Christian radio station, if you are doing this as a ministry. If you're trying to make tons of money, then play what K-Love and the others play, because they've already done the research and know what the largest CCM audience today wants to hear. End of discussion. Be at peace. Sorry I bothered you and the even less tolerant rbrucecarter5 with my thoughts.

I do wish you well and God's blessing with your LPFM station.

I'm doing this as a Ministry to those that need it. Not in it for money. Can't make any due to my sight handicap. Gotta use all the money raised, to help stay afloat.

Dan <><

They were avertly and aggressively anti-CCM when I called them about WCIE. It was a very unpleasant, awkward call. I was polite, nice, encouraging - suggesting that they might want to consider the needs of their own audience, which would have problems with the much weaker WCIE signal instead of the powerful WKES. The person on the other end was polite, but firm - it was mostly about the money, but a real goal of their ministry was to convert as many CCM stations over to Moody as possible, and he even let slip that WAY-FM was their next target for acquisition and silencing CCM. He was very convinced that their conservative talk and conservative music was the best thing for young people and teenagers, who would flock to more holy Christian radio in droves once the divisive CCM was taken away. The conversation deteriorated from that point. I have never heard such a bad attitude from anybody about CCM - unless it comes from the dial the "truth" people.

They were avertly and aggressively anti-CCM when I called them about WCIE. It was a very unpleasant, awkward call. I was polite, nice, encouraging - suggesting that they might want to consider the needs of their own audience, which would have problems with the much weaker WCIE signal instead of the powerful WKES. The person on the other end was polite, but firm - it was mostly about the money, but a real goal of their ministry was to convert as many CCM stations over to Moody as possible, and he even let slip that WAY-FM was their next target for acquisition and silencing CCM. He was very convinced that their conservative talk and conservative music was the best thing for young people and teenagers, who would flock to more holy Christian radio in droves once the divisive CCM was taken away. The conversation deteriorated from that point. I have never heard such a bad attitude from anybody about CCM - unless it comes from the dial the "truth" people.

You are confusing the business model of Moody's ministry with your own preferences.

Taking this to a commercial radio comparison, this is like calling a classic rock station and suggesting they needed to play more of The Band Perry and Miranda Lambert and FGL. While they may be polite and explain that those are not the sort of artists their format features, prolonging the argument would just make them hostile.

You are confusing the business model of Moody's ministry with your own preferences.

Taking this to a commercial radio comparison, this is like calling a classic rock station and suggesting they needed to play more of The Band Perry and Miranda Lambert and FGL. While they may be polite and explain that those are not the sort of artists their format features, prolonging the argument would just make them hostile.

I wasn't quite that dense, David. I knew discussing CCM would be a non-starter with them. I thought they would be more sympathetic to the needs of their audience - who probably don't have expensive listening equipment. Parts of the Tampa / St. Pete / Clearwater area are out of the local coverage area of the old WCIE: http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WKES-FM. You can't tell me that cheap radios in St. Pete and Clearwater would have as easy a time as they did with the old WKES signal: http://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WPOI-FM. So it was their own audience that was getting the bad end of that deal. And I heard of complaints from their listeners after the move.

The guy saw through me eventually and got what I would describe as "politely hostile" - treating me as if I was a reprobate for not welcoming their conservative format, and becoming completely honest about their "mission" to take over CCM stations specifically. We terminated the conversation agreeing to disagree.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom