• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Unbuilt 96.9 translator, W245BY Mobile moving to BFE

Without doing a long study. I'm going to say that WZNF Lumberton is the possible issue.

Doesn't matter. It is a separation of 200KHZ. The WZNF 60db is just outside Mobile.

The move at 97.9 won't impact WCPR it is a C2 50KW at 142M. It is rare to hear it in Mobile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why they couldn't get 250 watts on 95.7. Surely the K-Love station in Navarre is less of a threat than CPR in Biloxi. 95.7 is a good second adjacent to the Rocket so it should be harmless. Unless someone else is hankering for that frequency, but I can't imagine who or why.

It is because of the IF Channel. 106.5 is right there in the area with it so they can only have 99 watts (IF free) at 95.7

I understand the 96.5 translator has a license to cover filed from the ZEW tower south of Mobile. 50 watts from there, think anyone at all will hear it? All I ever hear over here in Baldwin County is Z 96.5 out of FWB.

I'm not surprised you couldn't pick up a station today. Did you check out that tropo? Today is the first time I've gotten New Orleans HD and RDS hijacking local analog FMs. Can't get a solid signal on any stations.

I spun the dial around 3 am yesterday morning and heard Jackson and Vicksburg, as well as several southern Louisiana stations. Strangely, WZNS was about the only thing east of Pensacola that I could reliably hear. Everything else was from the west.

A few weeks ago I listened to WWOZ out of New Orleans — off and on in HD — for hours overnight. It was great. There had to be a dozen or more New Orleans area stations and a good three or four in HD. I was shocked at the number of HD stations I heard.

Yep, the tropo's so bad I have to listen to AM. Maybe we don't really need an AM Revitalization?

WTIX and WMZ have been strong today. Very unusual catches this far from NO. Good stations though!
WKGC's morning music mix is close to awesome.

93.3's been interesting. Usually pulling music from WNCV but with WQUE's RDS and sometimes a good long flash to WQUE-HD.

My HD radio is overwhelmed by 97.1 and 101.1 from NO, wiping the local translators off the dial just like our buddy, Groovy, said would happen in the summer here on the coast.

I just found 1230 WDWR back on the air to legally feed their illegally constructed translator (according to the Pensacola North Hill Preservation Association.)

Last edited:
That WMZ-FM gives fits to WXRR out of Hattiesburg on the MS coast. It didn't used to be a problem, I'm wondering if someone down in the swampland decided to crank the power up higher than they should. I hear it A LOT here in Baldwin County.

104.5 started deep in the swamps targeting NO with Hip Hop while trying to get FCC approval to move closer to NO. A hurricane destroyed the station in year one. Back one air with new location and another hurricane killed it. Finally I believe the FCC allowed them to move to higher ground closer to NO. I have no idea when the current site went live. The RDS showing WMZ-FM had me stunned trying to figure out where that 3 letter call was coming from. I think this station's first owner never ran a commercial before the station was destroyed. A hot topic back in the day on the old boards.
Or I could be completely wrong.

First W243CY went to pasture, now W223BX, another new CP has been modified to drop it from 250 to 10 watts. It's still showing it'll be on the Shelton Beach Road tower relaying WRKH but obviously this is to keep it out of the way like the 96.9 translator.

Plans, eh?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom