• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at KAHM in Prescott, AZ

Prescott Joe

Leading Participant
Over the past few weeks there have been some interesting and enjoyable changes
to the music at KAHM. Music Director, Nancy Bennett, has been including musical
selections that haven't received much, if any, airplay over the past 10-20 years.
Sentimental Journey by Les Brown, 1900 Yesterday by The Liz Damon Orient Express,
are but two of the selections not heard on KAHM in years but are once again receiving
airplay. This is the first time in memory that KAHM has actually started looking back
to music from years gone by. It is making for some nice changes.

The regression in time continues. Benny Goodman's "Jersey Bounce" just aired
as well as Jim Reeves' "Welcome to my world." Seems like KAHM is trying to
be all things to all people. They continue to offer online streaming for a fee.

The regression in time continues. Benny Goodman's "Jersey Bounce" just aired
as well as Jim Reeves' "Welcome to my world." Seems like KAHM is trying to
be all things to all people. They continue to offer online streaming for a fee.

The question is, "who is the target". If they play big band and swing and Jim Reeves too, the appeal will be limited. I was born 5 days into the Boomer era, and I would not even recognize "Jersey Bounce" if it played and I would hit the button faster than a NASCAR straightaway run to change stations.

They can't live off the Sun City crowd unless they also broadcast the ambulance races... and there are not enough geezers in cabins in the woods around Press-kit or in trailers at Dewey-Humboldt to make a difference.

The question is, "who is the target".

I never thought I would get to say this to you but you're not the demo El Jefe! And just as an aside, there are plenty of us who like Big Band and one of the smoothest singers in all the land (Jim Reeves) so there is a market albeit however small.

In the interest of full disclosure I am 1 year and 2 weeks a pre-Boomer. :)

There should be a flag on this board. The use of "geezer" is the language of a bigot. This Eduardo character is dragging the conversation down into the mud.

There should be a flag on this board. The use of "geezer" is the language of a bigot. This Eduardo character is dragging the conversation down into the mud.

As in many epithets, it is OK to use them if you are one.

This is akin the fact that the best lawyer jokes are told by lawyers... the point being that it is alright to poke fun at oneself. It's a form of self-deprecating humor.

Lighten up, Francis!

As a card-carrying member of the Geezer-American Community, I can tell you that you are flat-out wrong. Or would you prefer the term "old"... er, I mean "eldery"... er... "chronologically-gifted f@rt?" :D

Cue Stan Freberg: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLlTlYfqQV4

I never thought I would get to say this to you but you're not the demo El Jefe! And just as an aside, there are plenty of us who like Big Band and one of the smoothest singers in all the land (Jim Reeves) so there is a market albeit however small.

In the interest of full disclosure I am 1 year and 2 weeks a pre-Boomer. :)
I like big band and Jim Reeves as well. Specifically, "Welcome to My World" and "He'll Have to Go". I'm not that familiar with this songs that actually sound country.

I was born during the baby boom.

From the Sunday, October 1st Prescott Daily Courier:

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2017/oct/01/kyca-kahm-radio-stations-sold-no-change-listeners/

I couldn't help but laugh when I read the article. Sure, Someone spends 1.7 million and accepts
no change of format as a condition of the sale. One thought that also comes to mind is
that perhaps, just perhaps, the new owners operate 102.1 FM with HD. They could put on their
format and continue easy listening as well. That probably sounds overly optimistic but we can
only hope.......

Wait, what? The source that says the change is taking place doesn't actually say there is going to be a change.

From the Sunday, October 1st Prescott Daily Courier:

https://www.dcourier.com/news/2017/oct/01/kyca-kahm-radio-stations-sold-no-change-listeners/

I couldn't help but laugh when I read the article. Sure, Someone spends 1.7 million and accepts
no change of format as a condition of the sale. One thought that also comes to mind is
that perhaps, just perhaps, the new owners operate 102.1 FM with HD. They could put on their
format and continue easy listening as well. That probably sounds overly optimistic but we can
only hope.......

I'm like you...no one is going to spend that kind of $ on a station and keep a format on it that has little to no profit potential. I'm just wondering why the company buying the stations wants the AM and translator (K269EE) in Prescott, when they are probably more interested in the 102.1 signal since it will target Phoenix? Maybe as you said...they could use a 102.1 HD channel to feed the FM translator there in Prescott? Or use the AM and rebroadcast it on the translator?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom