• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cain vs Erickson

Erickson makes a good point. However, I am not a big fan of Cain. His voice irritates me, and I find his diction to be sub-par for radio..especially as a 'talk jock'.

I always wondered why WSB allowed him on the air, or better yet, Cox. Perhaps it is due to his close relationship to Neal Boortz, who IMO, still has clout throughout the Cox halls, and is still well respected by Cox and audience as well. I do miss him on the air.

No matter how you feel about Donald Trump--and I am certainly not a supporter of Trump--his campaign has been a boon to talk radio and the cable news networks.

I don't recall a more interesting presidential campaign than this one. The feeling of anticipation and excitement that I have before the latest episode of Scandal or a murder mystery on Investigation Discovery, I now have in the evening for CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC. I am more of a music than talk radio listener, but lately I've been tuning in to Limbaugh, Erickson, Hewitt, Levin and others because of this race.

The FCC's elimination of the Fairness Doctrine made today's talk radio possible, and that certainly helped AM stay alive for a number of years. I have been wondering, however, whether talk show hosts should go as far as actively promoting one candidate. For example, Mark Levin has been doing what is in effect a 3-hour commercial for Ted Cruz. Erick Erickson, while not openly endorsing one candidate, urged listeners not to vote for Trump on Super Tuesday. And early on, he said he would welcome any of the Republican candidates on his show except for John Kasich.

I always have looked at talk radio as entertainment. The job of the host is to get ratings, pure and simple. And I happen to find Herman Cain a good listen.

No matter how you feel about Donald Trump--and I am certainly not a supporter of Trump--his campaign has been a boon to talk radio and the cable news networks.

I don't recall a more interesting presidential campaign than this one. The feeling of anticipation and excitement that I have before the latest episode of Scandal or a murder mystery on Investigation Discovery, I now have in the evening for CNN, Fox News Channel and MSNBC. I am more of a music than talk radio listener, but lately I've been tuning in to Limbaugh, Erickson, Hewitt, Levin and others because of this race.

The FCC's elimination of the Fairness Doctrine made today's talk radio possible, and that certainly helped AM stay alive for a number of years. I have been wondering, however, whether talk show hosts should go as far as actively promoting one candidate. For example, Mark Levin has been doing what is in effect a 3-hour commercial for Ted Cruz. Erick Erickson, while not openly endorsing one candidate, urged listeners not to vote for Trump on Super Tuesday. And early on, he said he would welcome any of the Republican candidates on his show except for John Kasich.

I always have looked at talk radio as entertainment. The job of the host is to get ratings, pure and simple. And I happen to find Herman Cain a good listen.

To me, Cain is boring. He is not flamboyant enough for me. I'm a Boortz fan (though I don't agree with him on everything). I despise Sean and Limbaugh. They just regurgitate whatever the far right believes and runs with it.

Regarding Erickson, I fundamentally disagree with him on many fronts. He and I are both on the right BUT he's on the evangelical right where as I am much more Libertarian. He has been very aggressive towards Libertarians in the past. He's a bit of a one issue guy and that is abortion and the gay issue. Totally a social conservative and probably would sacrifice the fiscal conservatism for a more social conservative candidate.

Would really like to see Eric Von Haessler go primetime during the morning or afternoon. If I had to make my guess, I would assume the arrogant Erickson would be removed over Cain and if that happened, I think Von Haessler would be a perfect replacement. Really enjoy when he fills in during the mornings.

Rumor has it Erickson asked Boortz not to cover his show in the afternoon. Boortz and Erickson have significant differences but to my knowledge, never as public as Cain and Erickson.

Von Haessler has been getting a little more exposure lately. He has been on late at night following the Republican debates, and the show was simulcast with the other Cox News/Talk stations . . . in Orlando, Jacksonville, Dayton and Des Moines. He was also on during early afternoon yesterday (Saturday).

Von Haessler has been getting some more air time lately. He's been on late at night following the Republican debates, and the show was simulcast on the other Cox News/Talk stations . . . in Orlando, Jacksonville, Dayton and Des Moines. He was also on yesterday (Saturday) in early afternoon.

I went to the Auto Show yesterday, and WSB was broadcasting from it. I saw the man whose commercials make me cringe (even more so than Belinda's), Dave Baker.

Sorry, Roddy...Dave Baker is da' bomb! I enjoy listening to him talk about almost anything. He reminds me of boortz, minus the airplanes and the money.
I admire Cain but can't agree with his evangelical leanings. He is far more talented, and intelligent than the lame right winger in the late afternoon. The one who was alleged to have been fired from both a right wing extremist rag AND CNN. That's the one who I figure must have pictures of the Pig Farmer with his prize sow, in the prize closet, makin' bacon!!
I heard his petulant little fit on the air last night. He should be shown the door.

I saw the man whose commercials make me cringe (even more so than Belinda's), Dave Baker.
WSB and Donald Trump have something in common: They both DARE you to listen to them. WSB has all this diverse “entertainment” that keeps you listening – or just putting up with it.

Erick Erickson sounds like a kid with a cold. And when he gets excited, watch out – the pitch shoots up so much you’d think his nose is ready to explode, but it’snot. :)

Herman Cain is one of the nicest guys I ever met. From what I understand, he grew up in a very poor family in a neighborhood that murdered the English language, and he is constantly trying to over-correct himself. I’m sorry, but that in itself is worth the listen in a weird sort of way.

And then there’s Jon Lewis, the reporter that can over-dramatize a school board meeting or ANYthing he reports. One day he was asked some questions about where he was, and he actually talked normally. Then, he was asked to continue with his story, and the drama came back full blast. You wonder what he sounds like during intimate moments – but I don’t want to go there.

And then there’s Belinda. I can’t add any more to what she already said – and how she says it. Do advertisers actually ASK for THAT voice and accent to promote their product? Now, I know she is probably a great person and DOES sound sincere, but there are lots of small stations that wouldn’t give her a chance. (And, by the way, do something with the spot about Royal’s children: “Please get your scan.” It sounds like you are exploiting them.)

And then there’s Dave Baker. I’ve never heard his program, but his commercials are things I don’t want to hear.

And then there’s Mark “oursyssemissosolid” Spain whose edited-together one-liners ARE noticeable.

And there’s another one who also slurs his words where “My dad taught me to always please my customers” sounded like “My dad taught me to always peas my cuss words.”

And I’m sure there are more, but… Oh, wait - there’s the Shame guy. You know, the guy who had the husband on one line and his wife on the other, and the husband wanted to get his wife a new dishwasher for Valentine’s day, BUT our friend in the diamond business, in an effort to make the guy feel like crap, put his wife on the line, who just happened to want a diamond – from our friend’s business. Well, whaddyagonnadoo?? Say ‘no’ to your true love after she’s been talked into a diamond?

I wanted SO MUCH to add just one more line to that spot: “OK, Honey. I’ll buy you a diamond, but remember to take it off every night when you wash the dishes!”

OK. Now back to the subject…

Enjoyable post, Trusty. I don't think WSB has production supervision over either Mark Spain or Tom Shane. But I do believe Spain advertises on the stations that he listens to personally and not necessarily those his prospects listen to. Another advertiser that does that is Todd Barton of Renter's Warehouse.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom