• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Aaron Mintz

TheFonz

Star Participant
Anyone know what happened to the Aaron Mintz website? Aaron was based at the University of Massachusetts and had the largest collection of airchecks I've ever seen. His website has been down for several months.

It's still there. Maybe your link got corrupted?

Try this.....

http://people.umass.edu/ahmintz/aircheck-list-1.htm

That's part of it. Note that it says List #1, which doesn't include the states of Illinois or Wisconsin. The original site had info about trading, what kind of airchecks Aaron was looking for, and several more lists. It also included video. There's an e-mail address at the bottom..............maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the reply.

Trying to reach Aaron Mintz

Does anyone know how/where to reach Aaron Mintz at this point? The email bounced back. I’m interested in one of his Airchecks.

Aaron responded that he took his site off line, but he is still active. Anyone who is interested in older airchecks can contact Aaron for his list at [email protected]

I Like To Hear Unscoped Version MP3 2-Airchecks Golden Radio Greats From Don Bruce WNOR Tidewater,Va. 11/24/65 30 u j243/Sam Hale WQXI 10/31/63 30 u g900

I Like To Hear Unscoped Version MP3 2-Airchecks Golden Radio Greats From Don Bruce WNOR Tidewater,Va. 11/24/65 30 u j243/Sam Hale WQXI 10/31/63 30 u g900

Aaron is out of the aircheck game. he closed his sites and donated the majority of his stuff to his alma matter. I spoke to him on the phone and he is well but not an active trader.

Aaron is out of the aircheck game. he closed his sites and donated the majority of his stuff to his alma matter. I spoke to him on the phone and he is well but not an active trader.

Has his alma mater made Mr. Mintz's collection available to the public?

That's part of it. Note that it says List #1, which doesn't include the states of Illinois or Wisconsin. The original site had info about trading, what kind of airchecks Aaron was looking for, and several more lists. It also included video. There's an e-mail address at the bottom..............maybe I'll try that. Thanks for the reply.

This is precisely why people should archive important websites like this in case they get hacked/ or held for ransom. These kind of websites are prime targets for ransomware hackers who will try to hold all of the files in this case airchecks for ransom and you only get them back when you pay, usually its between two hundred and up to five thousand dollars. Also they generally are based overseas in like china or somewhere so it is very difficult to hold these low lifes responsible.

Only for on-campus listening. Open to researchers with no materials to be borrowed or reproduced:
https://atom.emerson.edu/index.php/aaron-mintz-audio-collection?sf_culture=en

Which means hundreds of thousands of hours of rare radio and TV are now out of circulation.

Also for these links when i clicked them to look at mr. mintz collection i got a 404 not found error here are the links.
http://people.umass.edu/ahmintz/aircheck-list-1.htm
http://people.umass.edu/ahmintz/aircheck-list-3.htm
http://people.umass.edu/ahmintz/aircheck-list-2.htm .

This is precisely why people should archive important websites like this in case they get hacked/ or held for ransom.

A thoughtful webmaster will have multiple backups that are not resident on the machine where the ransomware is planted. A removable hard drive, a NAS that requires log-on, the cloud and offsite copies all reduce the possible loss to as little as a few hours in some cases.

I have two separate cloud backups, two separate NAS devices, a removable drive bay and a set of rotating 4tb spinners and, internally, 4 10 tb hard drives that are separate from the main drive and OS. And periodically, portable drives are sent to two of the participants on this group who keep them safe and air-gapped. I also keep a clone of the boot drive, updated frequently, just in case.

In my case, the site is 1.7 tb in size and over 10 million files; downloading it over even a 300/300 fiber connection takes about 36 to 40 hours. I know as I am in the middle of repairing a very rare crash of 3 out of 4 RIAD 6 drives on my own site and it has taken 20 hours already and there are 5 million files to go.

Major sites are not easy to copy and store unless one has a good system and good backup software.

A thoughtful webmaster will have multiple backups that are not resident on the machine where the ransomware is planted. A removable hard drive, a NAS that requires log-on, the cloud and offsite copies all reduce the possible loss to as little as a few hours in some cases.

I have two separate cloud backups, two separate NAS devices, a removable drive bay and a set of rotating 4tb spinners and, internally, 4 10 tb hard drives that are separate from the main drive and OS. And periodically, portable drives are sent to two of the participants on this group who keep them safe and air-gapped. I also keep a clone of the boot drive, updated frequently, just in case.

In my case, the site is 1.7 tb in size and over 10 million files; downloading it over even a 300/300 fiber connection takes about 36 to 40 hours. I know as I am in the middle of repairing a very rare crash of 3 out of 4 RIAD 6 drives on my own site and it has taken 20 hours already and there are 5 million files to go.

Major sites are not easy to copy and store unless one has a good system and good backup software.

And man, am I glad you did, David. I use AmericanRadioHistory.com at least once a day for fact-checking and entertainment. THANK YOU to whoever is responsible for the back issues of Radio and Records!

Wow what all consists of the millions of files you have just like radio publications on your website or other stuff?

Wow what all consists of the millions of files you have just like radio publications on your website or other stuff?

There are several hundred thousand magazines, books, catalogs and brochures. Then there are individual pages with thumbnails used for the search function.

And man, am I glad you did, David. I use AmericanRadioHistory.com at least once a day for fact-checking and entertainment. THANK YOU to whoever is responsible for the back issues of Radio and Records!

Thanks for the kind words. There is nothing like going back and seeing data when it actually happened. And it beats the heck out of some of those dreadful wiki articles about radio which seem to be about 80%, uh, er, fake news.

The R&R collection has been much enhanced by an anonymous loan of most of the earlier issues and many of the random later missing issues. We'll end up needling less than 25 or so issue to have a complete archive.

Now if I could only find Television Age and Radio Daily collections. And more of Broadcaster Canada.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom