• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When did MOR accept "rock and roll"?

installLSC

Leading Participant
I was thumbing through my "Top Adult Contemporary" book when I noticed both the Beatles and Supremes did not have their first easy listening chart hits until the tail end of 1969. So that got me thinking of when MOR radio started playing "rock and roll" acts. Did they ever play soft songs by otherwise rocking acts? What MOR stations were quick on the bandwagon, and which held back?

From my memory, there were many MOR stations and most had something that made them special. There were those that leaned very traditional while others were mixing in some top 40 hits that their audience might enjoy. By about 1967 I heard my first Adult Contemporary station as in a station that played only the softer side of the current top 40 hits. One station was pretty close to a 50/50 mix of traditional MOR and soft top 40 and it was a popular station around 1969.

Living in Dallas by the summer of 1969, the big MOR AM stations were not far from a 50/50 blend and by about 1971 or so, were almost entirely the soft side of top 40. It seemed that by then the number of what we termed MOR stations began to fall as they skewed younger. In a sense top 40 was moving toward a more AC slant by then and I think it was more an evolution than anything else. Even so, I always found it odd the MOR station that went from, say Frank Sinatra and such then tosses in Tears of A Clown by Smokey Robinson. It sounded so out of place for a guy that grew up on top 40.

I was thumbing through my "Top Adult Contemporary" book when I noticed both the Beatles and Supremes did not have their first easy listening chart hits until the tail end of 1969. So that got me thinking of when MOR radio started playing "rock and roll" acts. Did they ever play soft songs by otherwise rocking acts? What MOR stations were quick on the bandwagon, and which held back?

"Yesterday" was everywhere in 1965, not just by The Beatles but just about everyone else. I'd be surprised if their version didn't make it onto at least SOME MOR stations. I had a music teacher in 1966 who was convinced that there were only two decent modern songs, "Yesterday" and "Blowin' in the Wind". He was 42 years old! It's hard to believe, isn't it?

"Yesterday" was everywhere in 1965, not just by The Beatles but just about everyone else.

Good point. Bonneville's beautiful music format featured orchestral performances of modern songs like Yesterday and Sounds of Silence in the 60s.

Good point. Bonneville's beautiful music format featured orchestral performances of modern songs like Yesterday and Sounds of Silence in the 60s.

I think you mean 70's, right? Marlin Taylor did not join Bonneville's WRFM until 1969, when he left WDVR to manage the New York station. Within a year or so, he was sending tapes to several other Bonneville stations. They created Bonneville Program Services in 1971 to syndicate outside the company, renaming it to Bonneville Broadcast Consultants about 3 years later.

But I do think that WRFM, which Bonneville acquired in 1966, likely played some of the earliest covers of those tunes (Remember "The Hollyridge Strings plays The Beatles"?) when the moved into a "good music" format to compete with WPAT and WTFM.

The story has it that WRFM was not seen as doing as well as WDVR in Philadelphia even though it had "the same format" so Bonneville hired Jerry Lee's program director to try to remedy that.

Last edited:

What a strange coincidence .... yesterday I'd checked out the Whitburn Top AC book from a local library, and was astonished at some of the songs which charted on the "Easy Listening", "Middle of the Road", or whatever Billboard called it any given week. I, too, noticed The Beatles' absence through 1969, and thought, "Seriously?? So where is 'Yesterday'??"

But it led me to think about posting a question similar to yours. And my mind arrived at a theory of its own:

A decade before top-40 started breaking into splinter-size fragments, the MOR genre appeared to do much the same. I'm 51, and my parents - virtual kids - were 21 when I was born. They were the first rock 'n' roll generation, of course, and many of 'em "hit the wall", so to speak, when the British invasion turned contemporary music on its ear. Mom was more tolerant, though she felt The Beatles were - her words - "silly-looking." Dad pretty much gave up at that point, and, like many, went searching elsewhere. I don't think there was any coincidence between this and the breakout of so-called "countrypolitan" stations, putting country music -- which to then was saddled with "hillbilly" baggage and especially jocks which sounded just a step above the mountain man in Deliverance -- into a top-40 sort of presentation. Two stations come to mind: WYDE in Birmingham and Atlanta's WPLO. Both were rockers which flipped to cash in on those alienated by the British wave and big changes in music. My Dad as a result became a country music fan.

But what about those who didn't like country music, in any form or frame? Well, there was MOR. "Ohhhh, yeah, that stodgy station with all the network clutter, the one my squaresville parents listen to. Yuuuuuck, Patti Page, Sinatra, Jerry Vale ... and that beep-boop-beep monitor beacon thing on the weekend .... cringe ...."

And that's the beginning of when MOR effectively broke into three formats .... 1) those who still wanted to cater to the pre-rock crowd evolved into what I've heard termed "good music" stations. 2) Those who saw buckets of money to be made from those like my parents, born in the '40s, who wanted the more sedate parts of top-40 without a lot of amplified geetars. Thus evolved the "bright MOR" format (or, as it came to be called, "chicken rock"). A mix of the contemporary and enough 'traditional' without it sounding too much like "their parents' station." And 3) those who soldiered on as usual .... we'll call it, ohhhhh, "middle of the road", heh. ;-) The MOR evolution of the late '60s into the '70s has become a source of fascination. It wasn't just the music mix, it was also the personality factor. Some stations sounded like the jock was a holdover from doing station breaks during the OTR era, with the personality of drying Sherwin-Williams .... others had lively, upbeat personalities .... even some (WFLA/Tampa in the mid '60s) had the music in a top-40 framework, complete with PAMS jingles. Interesting stuff, at least to a geek like me.

So all that derived from my thumbing through the Whitburn AC book, while thinking of all the "Monitor" recordings I've heard (yeah, it's a guilty pleasure). Go to the Monitor Beacon tribute site, and start listening at, say, 1967 and go until its demise in January 1975. Notice the music mix, how it goes from purely MOR to a little contemporary-ish stuff creeping in, and by '73 the music on "Monitor" was almost entirely "adult contemporary."

Credit to some extent for "chicken rock" must also go to the Bill Drake/Gene Chenault team when they developed the "Hit Parade '68/'69/etc." automated format. But all this doesn't make my mind wrap itself around a song like The Doors' "Love Her Madly" being heard in the MOR column back in 1971. Eh, it's hardly the first time I've been baffled by something.....

--Russell

Those who saw buckets of money to be made from those like my parents, born in the '40s, who wanted the more sedate parts of top-40 without a lot of amplified geetars. Thus evolved the "bright MOR" format (or, as it came to be called, "chicken rock"). A mix of the contemporary and enough 'traditional' without it sounding too much like "their parents' station."

Ah, so that misdefinition still exists in some minds ... Read this, please, Russell:
http://www.radiodiscussions.com/sho...-Still-Lives&p=6082890&viewfull=1#post6082890

The mindblower in the Whitburn book is that Bob Dylan hit #5 easy listening in 1965 with "Subterranean Homesick Blues".

The mindblower in the Whitburn book is that Bob Dylan hit #5 easy listening in 1965 with "Subterranean Homesick Blues".

Seeing that those charts were not based on airplay, I'm wondering if each chart other than the Hot 100 was based on internal Billboard staff decisions / opinions.

This has to be an error, right, or maybe an intentional "dummy" listing to ward off copyright infringement. It's been done before! As a shortwave listener in the '80s, I had a guide to "utility" stations worldwide published in Germany by a man named Klingenfuss. It was a voluminous list of frequencies, call letters and brief descriptions of shortwave stations operated by telephone companies, maritime communications concerns, governments, and the like -- basically everything but broadcasters, hams and CBers. Anyway, it was well-known in the SWL community at the time that Klingenfuss had inserted a number of phony call signs and descriptions throughout the book so as to make it easy for him (or his lawyers) to find listings published by others that had simply been copied from his book. Maybe this sort of thing was Whitburn's way of sniffing out plagiarists.

Maybe this sort of thing was Whitburn's way of sniffing out plagiarists.

I know of two fake entries in other Whitburn books, verified by the record collectors that hang out at the Both Sides Now message board:

Early editions of his "Top Pop Singles" books list the Ralph Martieri version of "The Song Of Love" as peaking 12/26/55 at #84 on the Top 100. However, Martieri never recorded same and besides, Billboard didn't publish a chart that week, it being their annual Christmas week off.

Whitburn also made up -- at least in the first edition of "Rock Tracks" -- a group called Cysterz with a #47 album rock track 7/26/86 called "Drag You Down".

ISTR that Rand McNally (or maybe it was Thomas Bros., or both) used to add streets in city maps that did not exist, for the same reason.

With the types like Rand McNally or Thomas Bros. making up fake streets it bring a certain reality to the line "You can't get there from here". Sort of like the 'country' directions: "You go down past the Johnson place and turn right where that big oak tree used to be".

With the types like Rand McNally or Thomas Bros. making up fake streets it bring a certain reality to the line "You can't get there from here". Sort of like the 'country' directions: "You go down past the Johnson place and turn right where that big oak tree used to be".

It could just be a misprint. A few years ago, I had a Thomas Guide that showed Denver Avenue in two separate places, one where it belonged and another where it should've been Interstate Avenue, which is part of US 99W.

I know on Google and Yahoo Maps, and possibly others, that in Jackson, TN there have been streets shown that were planned but never built. If you put the satellite view over it the proposed streets went through the middle of factories and warehouses that were built there instead. I believe the fault for that was outdated maps from the city or state highway departments being used, but it was corrected later.

Then there was a situation I ran into in Mississippi where Yahoo maps showed a route I needed using a highway that had been closed for 12 years! That was definitely the fault of the state having outdated maps.

Last edited:
It could just be a misprint. A few years ago, I had a Thomas Guide that showed Denver Avenue in two separate places, one where it belonged and another where it should've been Interstate Avenue, which is part of US 99W.

First of all, the misprint is mine. I said it peaked at #5, actually it was #6. And it's not a Whitburn error or fabrication. You can follow it in the archived back issues of Billboard on David's americanradiohistory.com site. Here's a link to its peak week, May 15, 1965.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/60s/1965/Billboard%201965-05-15.pdf Scroll down to page 16 and look at the "Pop-Standard Singles" chart at the top of the page.

First of all, the misprint is mine. I said it peaked at #5, actually it was #6. And it's not a Whitburn error or fabrication. You can follow it in the archived back issues of Billboard on David's americanradiohistory.com site. Here's a link to its peak week, May 15, 1965.

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Billboard/60s/1965/Billboard%201965-05-15.pdf Scroll down to page 16 and look at the "Pop-Standard Singles" chart at the top of the page.

How long a "Pop-Standard" chart run did it have? I just can't imagine a mid-'60s MOR station anywhere -- "Subterranean" was frenetic, ranting Dylan, not the folk balladeer of "Blowin' in the Wind" (which probably had to wait for Peter Paul & Mary to record it to get MOR airplay). You'd think the first Dylan single to crack the MOR chart would have been "Lay Lady Lay," several years later. There's got to be more to this story. I know memories get hazy over the course of 51 years, but does anyone remember hearing "Subterranean" on an MOR station in 1965? Or ever?

You can follow it in the archived back issues of Billboard on David's americanradiohistory.com site.

I am pleased to see you are making use of the Billboard issues on the site. There are now over 2,600 issues and only about 100 missing to complete the 1946-2009 period with the early 40's filling out as my current emphasis.

How long a "Pop-Standard" chart run did it have? I just can't imagine a mid-'60s MOR station anywhere -- "Subterranean" was frenetic, ranting Dylan, not the folk balladeer of "Blowin' in the Wind" (which probably had to wait for Peter Paul & Mary to record it to get MOR airplay). You'd think the first Dylan single to crack the MOR chart would have been "Lay Lady Lay," several years later. There's got to be more to this story. I know memories get hazy over the course of 51 years, but does anyone remember hearing "Subterranean" on an MOR station in 1965? Or ever?

Looks like seven weeks. Worth noting Billboard's own methodology disclaimer:

Not too far out in either direction, the following singles , selected from the current Hot 100,
are the most popular middle of the road records of the week. Rank order here is based on relative
standing the Hot 100.

But in that week's Hot 100, "Subterranean" was only #39 with a bullet. And the "Pop-Standard" chart ignored records that did get some MOR airplay that ranked much higher on the Hot 100 that week, including the Seekers' "I'll Never Find Another You" at #4, Petula Clark's "I Know A Place" at #7, The Righteous Brothers' "Just Once In My Life" at #9 and Tom Jones' "It's Not Unusual" at #17. So even the lame methodology Billboard would admit to didn't wash.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom