Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WABF Fairhope sold

WABF Fairhope sold

I found this on today's edition of Tom Taylor NOW. WABF Fairhope has been sold to Eternity Media Group, which owns WERM-AM in Mobile.

http://us6.campaign-archive2.com/?u=...5&e=7639be0665
    The Magic City's Lite & Easy Favorites
    WLTB-DB | Birmingham's LITE 99 Radio.
    Listen LIVE 24 hours a day using your smartphone/mobile device at BirminghamLite.com.

All Day...All Night...All Weekend...All Nice.
    WQEZ-DB | Beautiful QEZ.
    Always Beautiful Music.
    QEZradio.com

Eternity owns a station in Hattiesburg and one in Augusta. I think the Hattiesburg station is gospel like WERM. Makes me wonder if a format flip is pending.

So this guy just showed up in Mobile a year ago and bought WABB.
    And he just bought WABF.

He's working his way up the alphabet.

I guess he couldn't afford Cumulus' asking price for WABD?
    Poledo

I talked to a friend this afternoon who mentioned this sale, and he says that Pugh's stations are all gospel, so I expect an end to the America's Best Music format sometime in the near future. If that happens, it'll be another nail in the coffin of unique local radio. As if we need more religious crap on the radio here.

Overkill is what I smell on this. When you have too much of one thing, in a certain area, someone will take a hit and be forced to change. I don't look for this station to stick with Gospel very long. Baldwin County has enough Gospel, in my humbled view, to help feed their populace with the Word.

Dan <><
    Last edited by R.D.P.; 02-03-2016 at 10:28 PM.
    Owner, Operator and All Around Guy for WPJB-LP, Jesus Radio 93.3 FM, Selma
    Resident Music Director for WPJN, Praise 89.3 FM, Clanton

The buyer is not going to change the format. It will stay adult standards. In the agreement (per the FCC site) he is required to move the station. It appears that he is going to move it to his current plant at WERM and use the directional array to maintain 5 mv/m contour over Fairhope to keep the city of license.

I'm glad to hear that. Hope Mr. Zach will be too.

Dan <><
    Owner, Operator and All Around Guy for WPJB-LP, Jesus Radio 93.3 FM, Selma
    Resident Music Director for WPJN, Praise 89.3 FM, Clanton

Quote Originally Posted by thegulfcoast View Post
    The buyer is not going to change the format. It will stay adult standards. In the agreement (per the FCC site) he is required to move the station. It appears that he is going to move it to his current plant at WERM and use the directional array to maintain 5 mv/m contour over Fairhope to keep the city of license.
    That's good to know, thanks for sharing!

I'm in Foley and can't pick up WABF reliably to save my life, so I expect nothing to change if it moves to Mob Town. I was recently gifted a nice AM tuned loop that I was able to use on WABF to null out all the noise and bring the signal level up so much it was like it was local!

WABF has a good signal even with just 1kw. That BE Transmitter coupled with an Omnia 3am is the best that you can get for the price. Excellent sound...hot modulation

Quote Originally Posted by thegulfcoast View Post
    WABF has a good signal even with just 1kw. That BE Transmitter coupled with an Omnia 3am is the best that you can get for the price. Excellent sound...hot modulation
    Well, I sure hope they keep the Omnia because WERM sounds horrible in its current state. WERM is a much weaker signal than I remember from the 90s when I'd listen to the talk programming on WABB on vacation in Gulf Shores. I'm not even sure it's audible in Gulf Shores.

WABF sounds good, but keep in mind I'm less than 2,000 feet from the WHEP tower, so all AM is depressed a bit in this area. WABF just happens to suffer more for some reason. I hear 540, 660, 840, 1000 pretty well, and 1330 is great if I get out of this immediate area, everyone else is pretty weak. Even 1270 is stronger than 1220 here. In fact I'd say 1220 is on par with 1110, strength-wise here, and the latter is all the way up in Bay Minette.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast