• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Radio Magica FM 88.3 Lima Peru

oldies76

Star Participant
One of the BEST radio stations ever heard for classic hits, playing the best in the time frame 1975-1980, with outliers from the middle 80s and late 60s. Really good stuff here while visiting my homeland, Peru! Even that Debby Boone song is in regular rotation! Beats USA radio music programming by a mile! Strong on disco classics, adult comtemps and rarely heard top 10s. A somewhat tight rotation, but the music itself more than compensates for that. Gracias Radio Magica!!

http://www.radiomagica.com.pe/

Last edited:
An update to this one of a kind station:

An occasional late 50s tune will be heard, as well as, some early 60s and some contemp 80s. Incredible selection of lost top 10s and top 20 hits with a rare low charter by well-known groups. Also, seems to be running automated most of the time with a deep voice doing station IDs and promos nearly every other song. In other words, a no-nonsense station with tons of hits from Lima, Peru!

Mágica is rated #20 in the Lima market, which is pretty much out of the good agency buy list.

#20? When I was visiting in late January, many taxi drivers had this station on their radios. Not too many spot breaks, just short and brief segments, less than three minutes in between songs, not more than four times an hour. Interesting station that I stream here in Colorado. Station continues to play many great (and seldom played) songs from the 60's through the 80's, with a continued emphasis on the late 70's and early 80's. My kind of station!

#20? When I was visiting in late January, many taxi drivers had this station on their radios. Not too many spot breaks, just short and brief segments, less than three minutes in between songs, not more than four times an hour. Interesting station that I stream here in Colorado. Station continues to play many great (and seldom played) songs from the 60's through the 80's, with a continued emphasis on the late 70's and early 80's. My kind of station!

But the local ratings still show it as #20. The music is too old for the very young Peruvian market. And since nearly all radio advertising in Lima is bought by ad agencies, that leaves them out of most buys which only look for consumers in the 20-39 age group.

But the local ratings still show it as #20. The music is too old for the very young Peruvian market. And since nearly all radio advertising in Lima is bought by ad agencies, that leaves them out of most buys which only look for consumers in the 20-39 age group.

Curious, how is this other station doing in the Lima market: 93.7 FM

http://www.radiolainolvidable.com.pe/

Also, what age group do classic hits stations, like 88.3 Magica, attract in Lima?
Are the demos requirements the same in Lima as they are here? USA is 25-54 I believe.
Lastly, could you provide a link that shows the latest ratings for Lima's radio stations?
Wanting to see if they adapted a system similar to Radio Online's Nielsen's 12+ ratings that get posted here monthly.

Last edited:
Curious, how is this other station doing in the Lima market: 93.7 FM

Also, what age group do classic hits stations, like 88.3 Magica, attract in Lima?
Are the demos requirements the same in Lima as they are here? USA is 25-54 I believe.
Lastly, could you provide a link that shows the latest ratings for Lima's radio stations?
Wanting to see if they adapted a system similar to Radio Online's Nielsen's 12+ ratings that get posted here monthly.

Inolvidable, which is the channel formerly owned by the Archdiocese of Lima, gets a 5.2 and is 8th in the market. The Peruvian ratings don't have "share" and the number given is the daily cume reach percentage. My calculation of the share would be about a 2.7 to 2.8 (and Mágica would be a 1.6 to 1.7 share of AQH audience).

Inolvidable has a predominantly 40+ audience. They feature 70's artists like Camilo Sesto on the website, so most listeners would be 50 and over (Camilo's hits began around 1975 in the Americas).

In Latin America, stations targeting under 40 do the best because the populations tend to be so young.

Age demos are not widely used as the base for agency buys... socioeconomic level data is. Buyers mentally match the "perfil" of a station (demos and lifestyle) and depend on ratings to quantify delivery in the socioeconomic levels desired by the client.

The data is not public. Here is a description of the methodology (a panel, with daily in person retrieval of individual diaries). They measure 11+ four times a year, one month out of every three.

http://cpi.pe/estudios-y-servicios/...-alcance-y-frecuencia/lima-metropolitana.html

Last edited:

Inolvidable, which is the channel formerly owned by the Archdiocese of Lima, gets a 5.2 and is 8th in the market. The Peruvian ratings don't have "share" and the number given is the daily cume reach percentage. My calculation of the share would be about a 2.7 to 2.8 (and Mágica would be a 1.6 to 1.7 share of AQH audience).

Inolvidable has a predominantly 40+ audience. They feature 70's artists like Camilo Sesto on the website, so most listeners would be 50 and over (Camilo's hits began around 1975 in the Americas).

In Latin America, stations targeting under 40 do the best because the populations tend to be so young.

Age demos are not widely used as the base for agency buys... socioeconomic level data is. Buyers mentally match the "perfil" of a station (demos and lifestyle) and depend on ratings to quantify delivery in the socioeconomic levels desired by the client.

The data is not public. Here is a description of the methodology (a panel, with daily in person retrieval of individual diaries). They measure 11+ four times a year, one month out of every three.

http://cpi.pe/estudios-y-servicios/...-alcance-y-frecuencia/lima-metropolitana.html

Thanks David

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom