• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Raleigh/Durham: CBS and NBC affiliates to switch on 2/29

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I made a petition for WHDH to save it's NBC affiliation, because it's being taken to WNEU-TV in New Hampshire, by Comcast, which is a bad affiliation switch, because it violates Comcast/NBC's agreement to not make people have cable or satellite, just to watch NBC, because WNEU's coverage doesn't cover all of the Boston area (Beantown). Here is the link to the petition: https://www.change.org/p/nbcunivers...utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink

I fear that if NBC takes away WHDH's affiliation, it will start another big affiliation switch across the country, which is a bad scenario, and all because NBC violated Comcast's agreement.

As for this switch, I think this one is OK, because it's between two parent companies that are not O&Os. Also, WRAL didn't want CBS anymore, so I think this is one that I will leave alone.

Hey...correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't WRAL-TV program the low-power CBS station in Wilmington, WILM-LD channel 10? If so, what happens to that station?

Potential Wilmington fall out for the big WRAL/WNCN network switch

Hey...correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't WRAL-TV program the low-power CBS station in Wilmington, WILM-LD channel 10? If so, what happens to that station?

They do. I was working at WRAL when they bought then-UPN affiliate WSSN-LP, and took it to CBS (which hadn't had a local affiliate since the former WJKA-TV 26 dropped CBS for Fox as WSFX-TV in 1994). An inside source says the WILM affiliation is unaffected, though I could easily see CBS negotiating with Raycom (WECT/WSFX) or Morris (WWAY) for a x.2 spot depending on how acrimonious the WRAL/CBS split was. Also, WILM has no local news presence (only WRAL News patched in from Raleigh with local weather inserts also shot on Western Blvd in the state capital) and signal issues. If Capitol tries to have NBC affiliate WECT bumped from cable in Fayetteville and other souther parts of the Raleigh market, things could get really interesting!

As for the network swap in general, it has really taken me by surprise. I don't really agree with Jim Goodmon about NBC having a better business model for local affiliates. They're seen in the industry as one of the "Big Four" most likely to scrap the affiliate distribution model entirely at some point. They also don't like pre-emptions (one of the many reasons they left channel 28 for channel 17 back in 1995) and WRAL does so frequently. This is a big win for NBC which has dealt with split affiliations and weak, also-ran affiliates since 1962 (including their own O&O WNCN from 1995-2006). I think WNCN might benefit somewhat from CBS. This is a big loss for CBS though. One thing's for sure: whoever did away with the "NBC 17" branding in favor of "WNCN" a few years ago is either a genius or clarivoyant. On the WRAL end, I'd be very surprised to see a peacock added to the newsroom.

This makes no sense to me, but in light of how much territory WECT lost when they converted to digital and moved their tower to the coast, it's good news for NBC viewers with antennas. And bad news for CBS viewers, especially around Wilmington.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom