• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

New copyright rates claim first Smooth Jazz victim

The music industry is on record as being opposed to free ad-supported streaming radio. They prefer subscription-based stations. Those stations that find a way to get credit card numbers from their listeners may be able to survive. Those who base their business model strictly as a free service will have a decision to make. As will their listeners

My new sig says it all. It just isn't worth the risk. Subcription model probably won't be viable for a niche product with minimal listeners, about 4000 listener hours/mo. Nor will ad insertion.

Another jazz station bites the dust. Enjoy KOAZ/K279BP/K240EC and WSBZ while they last. Sorry to hear about this station going off the air - it seems that hobbyists are really suffering with copyright rates and royalties.

Jazz Central Radio is gone as well. It's bad enough that terrestrial radio stinks, now the Internet sites are going away. Why bother with radio at all, since it's only geared to 18-34?

Actually it's more like 18-54. Lots of SJ at Sirius. Just have to pay for it.

One channel, a jukebox on autopilot, with a playlist that seldom changes. Music in general is becoming an afterthought to SXM as it pursues more branded content -- largely talk and sports -- through partnerships with celebrities or established media companies like Disney/ABC and Comcast/NBC.

Gotta make money somehow. They've got debt and stockholders too, just like everyone else.

Gotta make money somehow. They've got debt and stockholders too, just like everyone else.

Absolutely. And the music channels (except for the two still operated by iHeart Radio under terms of the investment by what was then Clear Channel that helped XM to launch in 2001) are commercial-free, which means all they generate is new subscriptions, while the news/talk/sports/celebrity channels can generate ad revenue as well.

Between Sirius XM and terrestrial radio, I can always find something to listen to. My niche tastes -- classic country, folk, classical, oldies -- are catered to by satellite and college/public radio, and my own CDs. I also have major interests in sports and news, and again, satellite/FM/AM give me everything I want for just the $20 a month I pay Sirius XM. And no, I am not making significant money at all at this stage in my life -- 60 and in the newspaper business -- but still, I don't miss the 20 bucks at the end of the month. It's too bad the Internet -- or rather, the early exploiters of the Internet -- gave away the store for so long. People got used to not paying for anything but their connections and it's made it very hard for any business that isn't selling tangible, material goods to monetize the Web.

It's too bad the Internet -- or rather, the early exploiters of the Internet -- gave away the store for so long. People got used to not paying for anything but their connections and it's made it very hard for any business that isn't selling tangible, material goods to monetize the Web.

If anyone learns anything from this unfortunate situation, I hope it is those two sentences, CTL.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom