Database errors - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Database errors

The page which many of us see when accessing this website is from Cloudflare. We are using their services to help keep the known bad guys (hackers, spammers, etc.) out.
    As General Manager of this site, when I connect, I get the same screen.

K.M. Richards
    Quote Originally Posted by frankberry View Post
    The page which many of us see when accessing this website is from Cloudflare. We are using their services to help keep the known bad guys (hackers, spammers, etc.) out.
    As General Manager of this site, when I connect, I get the same screen.
    What worries me is that we're likely to see such intervention adopted by a lot more websites before it's over.

"Browser being analyzed"

Quote Originally Posted by frankberry View Post
    It does. We're doing everything that we can to prevent attacks on this website.
    That 5-second delay for each new session access is annoying, and may lead legitimate (safe) R-D members to reduce or even drop their use of the RadioDiscussions boards.

Hopefully some other, ~invisible method can be found and implemented to combat such attacks.

(My 2 cents.)

Quote Originally Posted by rfry View Post
    That 5-second delay for each new session access is annoying, and may lead legitimate (safe) R-D members to reduce or even drop their use of the RadioDiscussions boards.

Hopefully some other, ~invisible method can be found and implemented to combat such attacks.

(My 2 cents.)
    I don't see a 5-second delay in connecting as a big deal. It would be nice if this sort of firewall could be implemented without any impact but I don't see anyone leaving the site because of it. It's a whole lot better than winding up in no-man's land because the site is under a DoS attack.

K.M. Richards
    Quote Originally Posted by landtuna View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rfry View Post

(My 2 cents.)

I don't see a 5-second delay in connecting as a big deal. It would be nice if this sort of firewall could be implemented without any impact but I don't see anyone leaving the site because of it. It's a whole lot better than winding up in no-man's land because the site is under a DoS attack.
    It is mildly annoying, and I note that other sites use Cloudflare's services without having to display an intermediate page, so perhaps that is something which should be investigated.

I am concerned about some members leaving, but I suspect the pros will be unaffected because we tend to actually read things like the intermediate page. But if we are stuck with that, it would be nice if it could be redesigned to perhaps include the RD logo as a reassurance.

My three cents. Do I hear four?

It's not going to make me leave, but it is interfering with my ability to access the site. Ever since this new browser check thing has been installed, I've been getting access errors when trying to visit the site from my phone through Verizon. Never at home on the PC, just on the mobile browser. It goes to some sort of cryptic error page, and it's happened three times now.

A re-load fixes it, but it's still annoying.

Also, I can't help but wonder if this is related to my RSS reader suddenly telling me the feed for the Mississippi and HD Radio forums are now invalid. Says they do not exist. If I try to visit the XML file that's used to parse the RSS, that annoying "wait 5 seconds" thing comes up. I think it's interfering with the ability of Inoreader to fetch unread feeds.

And now ALL my RSS feeds are showing as invalid. It's the only way I keep up with parts of this site, since it's so big. Any fix in the works for RSS feeds?

I'm sorry that you are having problems with this website, tomservo.
    We've had to do this to prevent DDoS attacks from shutting down the website and possibly damaging our database.
    We'll work on your RSS problems.

Frank

As long as someone in your end is aware of the issue, I can wait for a fix.

Tomservo,

It's the automated connections (not yours) which have caused this problem. Please Google DDoS so that you can understand the problem from our perspective.

Merry Christmas to you and to your family.

Frank
    Last edited by frankberry; 12-24-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast