• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Bob Struble Out as HD Radio Chief

HD-capable radio and an HD Radio are two different things.

How so? That comment makes no sense. Modern automotive entertainment systems are equipped with FM analog and HD- capable (or available). Nobody offers an HD-only capable radio in any vehicle.

Why/how did FM become popular? Honest question.

David and BigA answered that question accurately and well.

Content of which millennials already have access to without having to drop extra money on an "HD add-on".

HD isn't an add-on anymore. As mentioned, most new cars are already showing up with HD radio-capable tuners.

How so? That comment makes no sense. Modern automotive entertainment systems are equipped with FM analog and HD- capable (or available). Nobody offers an HD-only capable radio in any vehicle.

David and BigA answered that question accurately and well.

HD isn't an add-on anymore. As mentioned, most new cars are already showing up with HD radio-capable tuners.

I believe there used to be radios with a jack for an HD tuner. This could be considered "HD capable" and is far less outlandish than "TV ready" radios that existed about 75 years ago.

I think we'll agree to disagree on this one.

MANY aftermarket radio's are listed as "HD Ready" but don't actually come with the "add-on". A simple search on Crutchfield shows how confusing this space can be.

I can't speak for stock or factory installed radios.

That sounds like the "digital-ready" headphones you see on the market. Misleading because basically any headphone is digital-ready.

Misleading? Confusing? You bet.

A recent example. A buddy of mine (a non radio guy) was all excited because he purchased a new head unit for his Jeep that had "HD Radio". When I checked it out, it was merely HD Ready. The kits ranged $89-$120. His response, "I only payed $200 for the entire head unit".

I'm not trying to take a crap on HD radio, merely pointing out a perfect real world example of how the economics don't make sense in many cases.

HD radio is as dead as a door nail and has been for some time now and yes FM became popular mainly because of new content along with good sounding stereos becoming more and more popular and accessible to us non-audiophiles. Also the FCC stopping AM-FM simulcasts from happening which forced FM to develop their own formats and a lot of very talented people got involved and tried things that had never been tried before. The young generation got hold of it and the sky was the limit The only reason I started listening to it during the late 60's early 70's was because of "underground radio", it was new and exciting, I had never heard anything like it before. I didn't care if it was coming in on two cups and a piece of string, it didn't come in very good back then, we had a hard time getting Boston stations in Worcester, a distance of about 40 miles but listen we did because the format made AM radio sound like something your grandma listened to. Anything like that on HD that is going to motivate a whole generation of kids to listen to HD? No? Didn't think so.

Last edited:
HD radio is as dead as a door nail and has been for some time now

HD is doing better than ever, with many revenue sources ranging from traffic data to the use of HD to create combined HD/Translator options. And the larger markets have many specialized formats such as Desi Radio and other ethnic options.

It's not what was originally envisioned, but it is quite alive.

and yes FM became popular mainly because of new content along with good sounding stereos becoming more and more popular and accessible to us non-audiophiles.

FM, after nearly 3 decades of trying, began to grow when the FCC mandated the end of simulcasting.

Also the FCC stopping AM-FM simulcasts from happening which forced FM to develop their own formats and a lot of very talented people got involved and tried things that had never been tried before.

Actually, AMs with FM simulcasts looked for formats that would not interfere with the cash flow of the AM... niche formats that would not steal audience. They spent, for the most part, as little as possible until it was realized that the band might actually make money.

HD is doing better than ever, with many revenue sources ranging from traffic data to the use of HD to create combined HD/Translator options. And the larger markets have many specialized formats such as Desi Radio and other ethnic options.

You talking about HD-FM or both? Sounds to me like HD on AM is just about dead, but FM is doing well.

The past ended when the company was sold and replaced the CEO. They have a chance to reinvent themselves. This idea with Radio Disney is one way it can grow.

Rats deserting a sinking ship. And you things are dire when their only hope is Radio Disney, which couldn't even make it on AM.

HD radio is as dead as a door nail ...

Mother of God, Bob, just stop. You have been declaring "HD radio is dead ..." for longer than the average poster has been on this board. You and I and others have been here for years, but to declare HD "Dead" is just myopic foolishness by you". It may not be the hit many thought it would be, but it's nowhere near dead.
They say with age comes wisdom and I tend to agree. However being a flat-earther isn't wisdom, It's just dumb. C-Quam and Motorola AM stereo is basically dead. Left channel on AM and right channel on FM (stereo)is dead. SW is basically dead. Analog TV is dead. CBS color TV is dead. Aereo is dead. USSB satellite is dead. Voom is dead. HD radio? Not so much. I will pass on a comment on your declarative skills. :) Be honest. You know better.

Shortwave isn't anywhere near dead. There are literally hundreds of stations on the air. China alone has 30-40 transmissions daily. The US is still the biggest shortwave broadcaster as far as I know. Africa and the Middle East are both still heavy users of shortwave.

And of course analog TV is still chugging along as far as I can tell. Didn't the FCC just push back the LPTV digital switchover again?

The first 70-odd channels on all my area cable systems are still languishing in analog, too. I don't know why cable subscribers put up with that nonsense still.

Shortwave isn't anywhere near dead. There are literally hundreds of stations on the air. China alone has 30-40 transmissions daily. The US is still the biggest shortwave broadcaster as far as I know. Africa and the Middle East are both still heavy users of shortwave.

45 years ago I looked at the data behind the ratings for the three largest markets in Ecuador. At that time, the city of Quito with about a million population got 30,000 ratings interviews in one month, and the three markets got 95,000. I did not see one non-domestic shortwave station mentioned even once, and the domestic ones, which numbered nearly 100, only got a few hundred total mentions, with none getting enough to "make the book".

That information moved me to turn in the license for my shortwave // for HCSP-590 as it seemed like it would not have any audience of value.

Probably the most listener response-sensitive shortwave operation in the world, HCJB, decided to end its shortwave broadcasting from Ecuador about a decade ago and to focus on helping local micro-stations on FM.

The number of countries on shortwave and the number of stations is vastly reduced and listeners are very few. In most places in the world, finding at retail radios that are capable of receiving shortwave is difficult and expensive.

Shortwave may not be dead, but it is definitely catatonic.

Last edited:
You haven't obviously looked at the radio market lately. Africa is flooded with cheap Chinese receivers which are perfectly capable of picking up the big blowtorch broadcasts from São Tomé, Ascension and Cerrik, Albania. Some of them can be had for $10-15 USD. Not exactly cheap by Africa standards but still pretty affordable compared to an internet connection and a smartphone or PC. An FM radio is just as costly and those signals are all domestic which means in conflict areas, they are controlled by whoever has taken over the transmitter site. Shortwave still works because it can be broadcast from outside a war zone, from independently controlled operators. Of course no one in urban areas where ratings are measured are going to want or need shortwave. It's for the isolated parts, and I doubt anyone is sending diaries to the rural Amazon.

I've got a Kaito China-made radio that cost less than $60 but performs as well as a $300 radio of just 20 years ago. Better in some respects, really. The CountyComm handheld that was gifted to me is meant for government use but it even outperforms the Kaito with just its built-in whip thanks to good DSP. And I think it's under $40 now if you can find one from an importer.

There are still plenty of use cases for isolated peoples being served by shortwave. It's not like it was 30 years ago, granted, but it still has a great purpose, just like HD radio does. Australia and New Zealand both maintain a pretty good schedule of English programming beamed to the south pacific island nations since they are isolated, have slow to non-existent internet and local services have mostly abandoned AM for FM, so outlying areas no longer have reliable radio or TV service. Australia's shortwave service is so popular with DXers that they no longer offer QSL cards because the correspondence was costing too much. So someone somewhere is still listening.

South America is like North America - internet is much more affordable, FM is ubiquitous and radios are everywhere. That's not the case in Micronesia or South Sudan. At least not yet. But even here it seems to be still going along. Radio Nacional Brazil is on 24 hours a day somewhere on SW. RN Amazonia booms in here each night on 11780 kHz with interesting music. I know most of the South American broadcasters are gone, like HCJB, though. The few that remain seem to be religious, just like in the US. Even the CBC maintains a few transmitters for remote north access. One in Vancouver and one in St. John's on 6060 kHz, IIRC. The St. John's one is only 300 watts but I hear it several times a month. And CFRB in Toronto still has their 6070 kHz transmission with 1 kW. I dunno who it's for or if they even know it's still on, but it's nice to listen to and is a solid catch here in the US at night.

Shortwave may not be dead, but it is definitely catatonic.

Unless you speak Chinese, Russian, or (North) Korean. Broadcasts in English and Spanish are a small percentage of what they were 25 years ago.

Looking at short-wave.info, I only see 11 Spanish-language stations in the 90 meter band, and maybe 3 dozen on 60 meters. Add to that 3 Brazillian stations on 90 and 18 or so on 60. IIRC, there used to be hundreds of Central & South American stations on those two bands. Moved to FM or just went off the air completely?

There are American religious broadcasters on those two bands now, despite the fact that the tropical broadcast bands aren't "officially" authorized for broadcast use in this country. The FCC apparently doesn't care anymore.

But as far as the Western World is concerned, shortwave broadcasting is just about dead.

You haven't obviously looked at the radio market lately. Africa is flooded with cheap Chinese receivers which are perfectly capable of picking up the big blowtorch broadcasts from São Tomé, Ascension and Cerrik, Albania.

But the local listeners will go for their local stations in their local languages, particularly in Africa where there are hundreds of languages and vernaculars. For example, look at Burkina Faso where even the smaller towns have four or five FMs.

Shortwave still works because it can be broadcast from outside a war zone, from independently controlled operators. Of course no one in urban areas where ratings are measured are going to want or need shortwave. It's for the isolated parts, and I doubt anyone is sending diaries to the rural Amazon.

I actually operated an AM station from Lago Agrio in the Amazonía Ecuatoriana and while there was use of shortwave then in those areas before local stations arrived, it was almost entirely to listen to other stations in the same country, mostly those playing "música ecuatoriana" with messaging services. There was little interest (and I exaggerate by saying "little") in international broadcasters.

(Ratings in most of the less developed world are done by personal interview, not diaries, anyway. Some include significant rural sampling to aid national brands)

In Africa, the change was slower as many nations had the European custom of state broadcasting but the Continent is significantly dominated by commercial radio to the point of being over-served in many areas.

The CountyComm handheld that was gifted to me is meant for government use but it even outperforms the Kaito with just its built-in whip thanks to good DSP. And I think it's under $40 now if you can find one from an importer.

But those radios are not readily available in most of the developing world.

Australia's shortwave service is so popular with DXers that they no longer offer QSL cards because the correspondence was costing too much. So someone somewhere is still listening.

Now we are down to the real truth: in most of the world the interest in SW is maintained by DXers, not content-driven listeners.

South America is like North America

And most of the more developed nations of Africa, as well as the Middle East, Southeast Asia and even Island clusters like the Windward Islands.

That's not the case in Micronesia or South Sudan. At least not yet.

There are a few places that have very limited service, but with satellites for TV the paradigm has shifted with radio being less important.

Radio Nacional Brazil is on 24 hours a day somewhere on SW. RN Amazonia booms in here each night on 11780 kHz with interesting music.

Like many state run broadcasters, they self-perpetuate their operations even long after any significant listening is gone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom