• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

How come Classic Rock doesn't play New Wave?

kevtronics

Star Participant
Too pop-influenced? Too many synthesizers and not enough long guitar solos? Because it was "just an MTV fad"?

The Hooters' "And We Danced" and The Kinks' "Come Dancing" is about as close to New Wave (or really just pop-influenced '80s rock) that I hear on classic rock stations like WMGK in Philly. No A Flock of Seagulls, no Devo, no Howard Jones, no Split Enz, no Elvis Costello, no B-52s, no Men At Work, etc....

New Wave was pretty regional at the time. A lot of the artists you list get played in other formats like Classic Hits. Except Costello.

"Whip It," "I Ran" and "Down Under" coexisting with "Pride (In the Name of Love)," "Free Fallin'" and "Don't Stand So Close to Me," not to mention all that '70s guitar rock still on classic rock playlists? Sounds like a major tune-out factor to the core audience to me. Might as well throw "Easy Lover" (which actually did have a nice little guitar solo in it) and "We Built This City" in there as well. Pop, not rock.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom