Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Local News in E. WA is in a sad state

Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    And over at KNDU today... Shred Day! Shred Day! Shred Day! Friday! I've seen references to this one big infomercial thing no more than 10 times the past week. Good lord!
    Of course, all the main personalities stick with the Tri-Cities location. If you go shred at Neighborhood Health in Yakima on Friday, 99% chance the only 'personalities' that show up are the two Yakima-area reporters from the sales office downtown. Albeit Monty Webb drove out to Safeway here a couple years ago for the food drive, you'll never see Tracci Dial on location in Yakima for an NBC Right Now-sponsored event...
    I wonder if KSBY did this kind of stuff when Scott Daniels was there? Likely not.
    Shred day should be a national holiday! (I jest.) But you would think it was if you watched KNDU/KNDO. Do they even realize you can buy a cheap shredder at Wal-Mart for about 30 bucks? But yeah this is sponsor-driven under the guise of this stupid shred day. KNDU/KNDO has some good competition now, and if they don't cover "real" news they will be left in the dust (or shreds).

So the big "Shred" went off without a hitch today, but new anchor got cold and had to put on a jacket. Good to keep Tracci and Tim in studio this year. Perhaps they are getting the message that this event needs fewer on-site appearances.

Who is the new weekend weather gal (based at KHQ of course) on KNDU? I see Ryan Overton left KHQ in December.
    Also new reporter at KIMA - Victor Park, who comes from L.A. He took over Gustavo Olguin's position.
    782 AM's in the log, 659 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: KNCM-91.3 MN and KCTX-96.1 TX 6/5/19
    Last New AM Log: 1570 WFRL Freeport IL, 3/3/19

Who is the new weekend weather gal (based at KHQ of course) on KNDU? I see Ryan Overton left KHQ in December.
    Also new reporter at KIMA - Victor Park, who comes from L.A. He took over Gustavo Olguin's position.
    Don't know who that is, I tend to ignore these Spokane cut-ins on KNDU. Weather is local...the anchor should be too.

Freakin' Spa Sale people!
    Running their ads into the ground I see. 'TRAC CENTER PASCOOOO." For the second time just this year. Once in a lifetime opportunity? I have some beachfront property in Bozeman to sell you.
    And the TRAC recently changed into the HAPO Center. But not updated in the ads of course. What an embarrassment for a television commercial and for the Trac/Hapo folks, who continue to let these scammers in their doors every few months.
    Not much else to share. Just the same ole' stuff at the same stations.

Freakin' Spa Sale people!
    Running their ads into the ground I see. 'TRAC CENTER PASCOOOO." For the second time just this year. Once in a lifetime opportunity? I have some beachfront property in Bozeman to sell you.
    And the TRAC recently changed into the HAPO Center. But not updated in the ads of course. What an embarrassment for a television commercial and for the Trac/Hapo folks, who continue to let these scammers in their doors every few months.
    Not much else to share. Just the same ole' stuff at the same stations.
    Oh don't get me started again! Not only the 2nd time this year, but about the 10th time in the past 4 years. There is so much that is wrong these Spa spots. First, it is clear they are not local, so you are giving money to a company that doesn't even have connection to the community. Second, "this once in a lifetime opportunity", apparently happens not once, but 2-3 times a year and has been for atleast the the last four years. Third, they can't even pronounce Pasco properly. They seem to think the town is pronounced "Pas-cow". Fourth, the spots, both radio and tv, are deliberately designed to be annoying to catch your attention with warning buzzers, etc.

I have heard these spots in other Western markets...Reno for one, and others. Same script, same sfx, same announcer.

I have learned to automatically change the channel or radio station exactly after hearing the first warning buzzer. I wish some of our local stations would stand up to them, but that won't ever happen as long as the check clears.

Quote Originally Posted by seatownmedia View Post
    Oh don't get me started again! Not only the 2nd time this year, but about the 10th time in the past 4 years. There is so much that is wrong these Spa spots. First, it is clear they are not local, so you are giving money to a company that doesn't even have connection to the community. Second, "this once in a lifetime opportunity", apparently happens not once, but 2-3 times a year and has been for atleast the the last four years. Third, they can't even pronounce Pasco properly. They seem to think the town is pronounced "Pas-cow". Fourth, the spots, both radio and tv, are deliberately designed to be annoying to catch your attention with warning buzzers, etc.

I have heard these spots in other Western markets...Reno for one, and others. Same script, same sfx, same announcer.

I have learned to automatically change the channel or radio station exactly after hearing the first warning buzzer. I wish some of our local stations would stand up to them, but that won't ever happen as long as the check clears.

The spots are doing their job. they are annoying. .but guarenteed they get good recall when people think of buying a spa. youre talking about them, so theyre serving the purpose. I wouldnt turn down the money for the spots bring in or ask the client to recut them

Quote Originally Posted by SomeRadioGuy View Post
    The spots are doing their job. they are annoying. .but guarenteed they get good recall when people think of buying a spa. youre talking about them, so theyre serving the purpose. I wouldnt turn down the money for the spots bring in or ask the client to recut them
    Just echoing my point. Of course they won't turn down the money. But they are horrible commercial spots and an insult to the market. Like I said, I just immediately go to another station. If they continue to make money on this "negative" concept, more power to them. I guess that is what is actually happening, unfortunately.

KIMA continues to be an embarrassment to the community. Now it seems like they are prerecording most of their 'live reports' and treating them as 'live'. Just a couple minutes ago Jake Taylor was going to one of the reporters regarding a Yakima pool. The reporter's tape 'interrupted' his little blurb ('(reporter) is in downtown Yakima now, what's the progress on the new pool?' or something like that). WOW, what an awful newscast. They are literally throwing in the towel.
    And of course the WX is still prerecorded but it's treated like it's 'live' as Jake asks the videotape a question...

Lately I haven't had the time to watch much local news, but today I am off from work/classes. I'm not missing much. I move to Ellensburg in less than 3 months and I'll likely change my news station to KOMO-4 for good. Who cares if it's Seattle news? They are a thousand times more watchable than KIMA.

KIMA continues to be an embarrassment to the community. Now it seems like they are prerecording most of their 'live reports' and treating them as 'live'. Just a couple minutes ago Jake Taylor was going to one of the reporters regarding a Yakima pool. The reporter's tape 'interrupted' his little blurb ('(reporter) is in downtown Yakima now, what's the progress on the new pool?' or something like that). WOW, what an awful newscast. They are literally throwing in the towel.
    And of course the WX is still prerecorded but it's treated like it's 'live' as Jake asks the videotape a question...

Lately I haven't had the time to watch much local news, but today I am off from work/classes. I'm not missing much. I move to Ellensburg in less than 3 months and I'll likely change my news station to KOMO-4 for good. Who cares if it's Seattle news? They are a thousand times more watchable than KIMA.
    Pre-recording so-called "live" reports is nothing new. Especially prevelant in smaller markets to make sure the young reporters come off looking good.

Good luck with Seattle stations in Ellensburg. I think they are on the eastern WA spectrum local system, meaning Tri-Cities/Yakima as market of origin.

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast