• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Local News in E. WA is in a sad state

Gustavo Olguin no longer listed at KIMA. He must have gotten a job in a bigger market. He had worked there since 2016 or 17.

Exactly why is Let's Make a Deal and Wendy Williams more important to broadcast than the funeral for Kittitas County Sheriff Ryan Thompson? KIMA and KNDO/U 'livestreaming' it on their Facebook page. All three Yakima stations should preempt syndicated programming at 2:00PM tomorrow and air the entire service without interruption, in honor of the Kittitas County Sheriff's Department, and for those who cannot make it into CWU's Nicholson Pavilion, whether due to distance, sickness or over-capacity. KCPQ is PREEMPTING programming tomorrow to air it in Seattle, and I believe KING-TV is doing the same. Shame on you, Yakima stations!!!!! I will be sending emails tomorrow. Way to go, 'the only Yakima news team taking action for you...'

KAPP/KVEW aired the whole thing live. Emailing them right now to thank them. Kudos to them!!
KIMA and KNDO get major boos from me. No coverage.

KAPP/KVEW aired the whole thing live. Emailing them right now to thank them. Kudos to them!!
KIMA and KNDO get major boos from me. No coverage.

I tend to agree with you here, but there are some other variables. The lack of funding for Tri-Cities/Yakima stations is in full force. Such as anchors leave or let go, and not replaced. Weather imported from Spokane. You see, these Tri-Cities/Yakima stations are "throw-a-way" to the owner. Too bad. But to get to the reasons for these decisions basically always goes back to lack of funding (or lack of importance, in the owner's minds). At this point, I would say a better answer would be for our locals to just shut down, and pipe in the Spokane market. A better answer for the corporate owners, anyway.

'pipe in the Seattle market.'
Fixed. Closer to Yakima. Mike McCabe doing weather for Yakima, and even ELLENSBURG, is like Steve Pool trying to do a complete forecast for Yakima. It just doesn't make sense. When Stu Seibel left KIMA's chief meteorologist position in 2007, the position was basically 'cut' locally. Mike McCabe grew up in Selah (I think?) and I believe his first job was at 2801 Terrace Heights Rd doing the morning WX and some weekend shifts (you can see proof on some of the KIMA weekend newscasts I've found on my VHS romps). Fisher moved him down to KEPR when Fred Rixe left the weather desk.
I mean, they COULD hire a local weatherman. They have the space in their 'fancy snazzy' Sinclair set they now have, put a green screen up and hire a recent CWU meteorology or broadcasting grad to do weather. But of course, they don't take the time to do it. An embarrassment to the local news industry, knowing how decent they looked in the past (i.e. in the Fisher/Retlaw days).

In places like western KS, there is no local content anymore. What used to be a local news department at KTVC/KBSD in Dodge City, for example, is now a complete 100% simulcast of the Wichita CBS, KWCH. I'm surprised that hasn't happened here in some cases, but if the economy slows down again I'm sure that's bound to happen. Imagine KVEW as a 95% satellite of KXLY with a couple of syndicated programs 'exclusive' to our market.

'pipe in the Seattle market.'
Fixed. Closer to Yakima. Mike McCabe doing weather for Yakima, and even ELLENSBURG, is like Steve Pool trying to do a complete forecast for Yakima. It just doesn't make sense. When Stu Seibel left KIMA's chief meteorologist position in 2007, the position was basically 'cut' locally. Mike McCabe grew up in Selah (I think?) and I believe his first job was at 2801 Terrace Heights Rd doing the morning WX and some weekend shifts (you can see proof on some of the KIMA weekend newscasts I've found on my VHS romps). Fisher moved him down to KEPR when Fred Rixe left the weather desk.
I mean, they COULD hire a local weatherman. They have the space in their 'fancy snazzy' Sinclair set they now have, put a green screen up and hire a recent CWU meteorology or broadcasting grad to do weather. But of course, they don't take the time to do it. An embarrassment to the local news industry, knowing how decent they looked in the past (i.e. in the Fisher/Retlaw days).

In places like western KS, there is no local content anymore. What used to be a local news department at KTVC/KBSD in Dodge City, for example, is now a complete 100% simulcast of the Wichita CBS, KWCH. I'm surprised that hasn't happened here in some cases, but if the economy slows down again I'm sure that's bound to happen. Imagine KVEW as a 95% satellite of KXLY with a couple of syndicated programs 'exclusive' to our market.

My timing is off as Kndu/kndo debuted new co anchor tonight with Tracy. Didn’t catch his name but comes from the central Cali coast. He is quite good!

Saw him too, did not catch the guy's name. Not on KNDU's website or any Facebook pages yet. Very happy to see this...about darn time they replaced Glenn Cassie. 8 months...really?
Which leaves KIMA as the only station in the area with no co-anchor, 'taking action for you!'. Lol.

Scott Daniels is his name. Ex-KSBY San Luis Obispo, morning anchor. Apparently he also worked somewhere in Louisiana as well, been all over the place. Wish him luck here, and may he go far.

Scott Daniels is his name. Ex-KSBY San Luis Obispo, morning anchor. Apparently he also worked somewhere in Louisiana as well, been all over the place. Wish him luck here, and may he go far.

Funny, a new hire always revs up the existing staff. Very existent the past two days on Kennewick Avenue.

The market Scott came from is smaller than Tri/Yak, though he apparently did mornings there, so this is a good move up. I like what I see, so far. Now KAPP/KVEW seems to be in the rear view mirror. Will be interesting to see if they add talent this year.

And over at KNDU today... Shred Day! Shred Day! Shred Day! Friday! I've seen references to this one big infomercial thing no more than 10 times the past week. Good lord!
Of course, all the main personalities stick with the Tri-Cities location. If you go shred at Neighborhood Health in Yakima on Friday, 99% chance the only 'personalities' that show up are the two Yakima-area reporters from the sales office downtown. Albeit Monty Webb drove out to Safeway here a couple years ago for the food drive, you'll never see Tracci Dial on location in Yakima for an NBC Right Now-sponsored event...
I wonder if KSBY did this kind of stuff when Scott Daniels was there? Likely not.

And over at KNDU today... Shred Day! Shred Day! Shred Day! Friday! I've seen references to this one big infomercial thing no more than 10 times the past week. Good lord!
Of course, all the main personalities stick with the Tri-Cities location. If you go shred at Neighborhood Health in Yakima on Friday, 99% chance the only 'personalities' that show up are the two Yakima-area reporters from the sales office downtown. Albeit Monty Webb drove out to Safeway here a couple years ago for the food drive, you'll never see Tracci Dial on location in Yakima for an NBC Right Now-sponsored event...
I wonder if KSBY did this kind of stuff when Scott Daniels was there? Likely not.

Shred day should be a national holiday! (I jest.) But you would think it was if you watched KNDU/KNDO. Do they even realize you can buy a cheap shredder at Wal-Mart for about 30 bucks? But yeah this is sponsor-driven under the guise of this stupid shred day. KNDU/KNDO has some good competition now, and if they don't cover "real" news they will be left in the dust (or shreds).

So the big "Shred" went off without a hitch today, but new anchor got cold and had to put on a jacket. Good to keep Tracci and Tim in studio this year. Perhaps they are getting the message that this event needs fewer on-site appearances.

Who is the new weekend weather gal (based at KHQ of course) on KNDU? I see Ryan Overton left KHQ in December.
Also new reporter at KIMA - Victor Park, who comes from L.A. He took over Gustavo Olguin's position.

Who is the new weekend weather gal (based at KHQ of course) on KNDU? I see Ryan Overton left KHQ in December.
Also new reporter at KIMA - Victor Park, who comes from L.A. He took over Gustavo Olguin's position.

Don't know who that is, I tend to ignore these Spokane cut-ins on KNDU. Weather is local...the anchor should be too.

Freakin' Spa Sale people!
Running their ads into the ground I see. 'TRAC CENTER PASCOOOO." For the second time just this year. Once in a lifetime opportunity? I have some beachfront property in Bozeman to sell you.
And the TRAC recently changed into the HAPO Center. But not updated in the ads of course. What an embarrassment for a television commercial and for the Trac/Hapo folks, who continue to let these scammers in their doors every few months.
Not much else to share. Just the same ole' stuff at the same stations.

Freakin' Spa Sale people!
Running their ads into the ground I see. 'TRAC CENTER PASCOOOO." For the second time just this year. Once in a lifetime opportunity? I have some beachfront property in Bozeman to sell you.
And the TRAC recently changed into the HAPO Center. But not updated in the ads of course. What an embarrassment for a television commercial and for the Trac/Hapo folks, who continue to let these scammers in their doors every few months.
Not much else to share. Just the same ole' stuff at the same stations.

Oh don't get me started again! Not only the 2nd time this year, but about the 10th time in the past 4 years. There is so much that is wrong these Spa spots. First, it is clear they are not local, so you are giving money to a company that doesn't even have connection to the community. Second, "this once in a lifetime opportunity", apparently happens not once, but 2-3 times a year and has been for atleast the the last four years. Third, they can't even pronounce Pasco properly. They seem to think the town is pronounced "Pas-cow". Fourth, the spots, both radio and tv, are deliberately designed to be annoying to catch your attention with warning buzzers, etc.

I have heard these spots in other Western markets...Reno for one, and others. Same script, same sfx, same announcer.

I have learned to automatically change the channel or radio station exactly after hearing the first warning buzzer. I wish some of our local stations would stand up to them, but that won't ever happen as long as the check clears.

Oh don't get me started again! Not only the 2nd time this year, but about the 10th time in the past 4 years. There is so much that is wrong these Spa spots. First, it is clear they are not local, so you are giving money to a company that doesn't even have connection to the community. Second, "this once in a lifetime opportunity", apparently happens not once, but 2-3 times a year and has been for atleast the the last four years. Third, they can't even pronounce Pasco properly. They seem to think the town is pronounced "Pas-cow". Fourth, the spots, both radio and tv, are deliberately designed to be annoying to catch your attention with warning buzzers, etc.

I have heard these spots in other Western markets...Reno for one, and others. Same script, same sfx, same announcer.

I have learned to automatically change the channel or radio station exactly after hearing the first warning buzzer. I wish some of our local stations would stand up to them, but that won't ever happen as long as the check clears.

The spots are doing their job. they are annoying. .but guarenteed they get good recall when people think of buying a spa. youre talking about them, so theyre serving the purpose. I wouldnt turn down the money for the spots bring in or ask the client to recut them

The spots are doing their job. they are annoying. .but guarenteed they get good recall when people think of buying a spa. youre talking about them, so theyre serving the purpose. I wouldnt turn down the money for the spots bring in or ask the client to recut them

Just echoing my point. Of course they won't turn down the money. But they are horrible commercial spots and an insult to the market. Like I said, I just immediately go to another station. If they continue to make money on this "negative" concept, more power to them. I guess that is what is actually happening, unfortunately.

KIMA continues to be an embarrassment to the community. Now it seems like they are prerecording most of their 'live reports' and treating them as 'live'. Just a couple minutes ago Jake Taylor was going to one of the reporters regarding a Yakima pool. The reporter's tape 'interrupted' his little blurb ('(reporter) is in downtown Yakima now, what's the progress on the new pool?' or something like that). WOW, what an awful newscast. They are literally throwing in the towel.
And of course the WX is still prerecorded but it's treated like it's 'live' as Jake asks the videotape a question...

Lately I haven't had the time to watch much local news, but today I am off from work/classes. I'm not missing much. I move to Ellensburg in less than 3 months and I'll likely change my news station to KOMO-4 for good. Who cares if it's Seattle news? They are a thousand times more watchable than KIMA.

KIMA continues to be an embarrassment to the community. Now it seems like they are prerecording most of their 'live reports' and treating them as 'live'. Just a couple minutes ago Jake Taylor was going to one of the reporters regarding a Yakima pool. The reporter's tape 'interrupted' his little blurb ('(reporter) is in downtown Yakima now, what's the progress on the new pool?' or something like that). WOW, what an awful newscast. They are literally throwing in the towel.
And of course the WX is still prerecorded but it's treated like it's 'live' as Jake asks the videotape a question...

Lately I haven't had the time to watch much local news, but today I am off from work/classes. I'm not missing much. I move to Ellensburg in less than 3 months and I'll likely change my news station to KOMO-4 for good. Who cares if it's Seattle news? They are a thousand times more watchable than KIMA.

Pre-recording so-called "live" reports is nothing new. Especially prevelant in smaller markets to make sure the young reporters come off looking good.

Good luck with Seattle stations in Ellensburg. I think they are on the eastern WA spectrum local system, meaning Tri-Cities/Yakima as market of origin.

Back
Top Bottom