• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Kroenke Sports acquires Wilks’ Denver stations; flip imminent?

mvcg66b3r

Star Participant
Wilks Broadcast Group is selling its three Denver, CO stations to Stan Kroenke’s KSE Radio Ventures for an undisclosed amount.

Kroenke owns a number of Sports properties including the NBA’s Denver Nuggets, NHL’s Colorado Avalanche, MLS Colorado Rapids, Denver based regional sports network Altitude Sports & Entertainment, Outdoor Channel, Sportsman Channel, World Fishing Network as well as the NFL’s St. Louis Rams and Arsenal FC of the English Premier League.

Following the divestiture of Country “92.5 The Wolf” KWOF, Hot AC “Mix 100.3” KIMN and Classic Hits “Kool 105.1” KXKL in this deal, Wilks will only retain its clusters in Columbus, OH and Reno, NV. As KSE already operates the radio networks for its three Denver sports franchises we’d expect one of the stations to flip to Sports with the rights to the Nuggets, Avalanche, and Rapids.

https://radioinsight.com/blog/headlines/94894/kroenke-sports-acquires-wilks-denver/

How are these stations doing in the ratings? Which one is likely to flip?

Although I hear Bonneville has no intention of parting with KEPN/KKFN, Kroenke was rumored to have been the original buyer of KKFN from Entercom before the DOJ stepped in, and Bonneville was rumored to have been wanting one or two of the Wilks properties. Kroenke has some leverage in that he can still go after his original target by saying, "Swap me KEPN and KKFN, or I'll go after you and steal most of your best programming."

What Bonneville would do in that situation is anybody's guess, but it would have little choice but to at least seriously ponder an offer like that if Kroenke were to make it. It has no other route to expand in Denver unless it wants rimshots or could manage to get Salem to let go of 94.7, and it's likely to face competition with deep pockets that will get first crack at the Avs and Nuggets no later than the day after their current play-by-play contracts expire.

It's going to be tricky to get Salem to give up KRKS-FM, since they seem to be on a buying spree lately, so they might want something in return. On the other hand one could see Bonneville work out a swap with Kroenke for a station they see as a perfect fit in their Denver cluster.

I had no idea Bonneville (Owners of KSL in Salt Lake City) owned any stations in Denver. I thought Entercom bought KEPN & KKFN when they bought the other LFM stations

Perhaps you're thinking of Entercom instead ??

Cheers :)

It's going to be tricky to get Salem to give up KRKS-FM, since they seem to be on a buying spree lately, so they might want something in return. On the other hand one could see Bonneville work out a swap with Kroenke for a station they see as a perfect fit in their Denver cluster.
They'd have to do some MAJOR upgrades to that CRAPPY signal BEFORE they can EVEN THINK of doing ANYTHING with it

Besides, hey'd have a MUCH better chance of talking iHeartMedia into coughing up KBPI before they get anything going on 94.7 since iHeartMedia has basically been gutting 106.7 to a point where it's little more than a shell of its former self anyway

As for 92.5, yeah they trail KYGO BUT they're still popular with listeners though. I wouldn't expect a flip here

JMO though.....

Cheers :)

From Radio Insight: The Department of Justice forced Entercom to spin off KEPN, KOSI, KKFN and KYGO-FM to Bonneville International in exchange for Bonneville's KSWD in Los Angeles to meet ownership limits. Both Bonneville and Entercom began operating their new clusters via Time Brokerage Agreements on July 17, 2015 until the transaction is consummated

Although I hear Bonneville has no intention of parting with KEPN/KKFN, Kroenke was rumored to have been the original buyer of KKFN from Entercom before the DOJ stepped in, and Bonneville was rumored to have been wanting one or two of the Wilks properties. Kroenke has some leverage in that he can still go after his original target by saying, "Swap me KEPN and KKFN, or I'll go after you and steal most of your best programming."
I seriously doubt Kronecke will raise a BIG stink over a PUNY AM stick like KEPM 1600

I mean that thing broadcasts at what - 1000 watts ?? SERIOUSLY ?? A HAM RADIO STATION can transmit at higher power levels than THAT on the nearby 160 meter band (Not that we have to do it of course :D )

And about THE ONLY thing that would work on that frequency other than what's on there now (NBC Sports Radio nearly 24/7) would be a Godcaster format. I don't see live sporting events being on there (In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if iHeartMedia did away with airing them on 50,000 watt blowtorch KOA someday as well)
What Bonneville would do in that situation is anybody's guess,
Mine is simple. They'd keep KEPN 1600 BUT let Kronecke have the sports programming to put somewhere else. Bonneville would then put either another Godcaster format on the air or YET ANOTHER crazy talker on the air in its place

Plain & simple

JMO though.....

Cheers & 73 :)

Last edited:
I seriously doubt Kronecke will raise a BIG stink over a PUNY AM stick like KEPM 1600

I mean that thing broadcasts at what - 1000 watts ?? SERIOUSLY ?? A HAM RADIO STATION can transmit at higher power levels than THAT on the nearby 160 meter band (Not that we have to do it of course :D )

Kroenke would want KEPN for the same reason Bonneville wanted it. It's the perfect combo buy and a place to park the overflow. Plus, it would make any trade a little more even, though probably not a huge amount. KEPN operates at 5,000 watts, BTW.

And about THE ONLY thing that would work on that frequency other than what's on there now (NBC Sports Radio nearly 24/7) would be a Godcaster format. I don't see live sporting events being on there (In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if iHeartMedia did away with airing them on 50,000 watt blowtorch KOA someday as well)

Again, that's why Kroenke would want it. He'd get a second sports station and a place to put his overflow. It wouldn't be a prime place for live sports, but, if you're Kroenke, it's better to have your teams on signals you own than to farm them out.

Mine is simple. They'd keep KEPN 1600 BUT let Kronecke have the sports programming to put somewhere else. Bonneville would then put either another Godcaster format on the air or YET ANOTHER crazy talker on the air in its place

Despite being owned by a church, Bonneville owns exactly ZERO Godcasters (at least on its main channels). It's also not known for running second rate talkers, and that frequency will never compete with KOA. Bonneville has no incentive to keep it if it swaps KKFN, and Kroenke has every reason to want it. Of course, this scenario doesn't happen if Bonneville keeps KKFN.

Then too, Bonneville could always flip 1600 to a Brokered Talk BUT with KKZN having already done that, I'm not sure just how much of it is left for anyone else to grab

Meanwhile, Denver could see a Sports radio war break out January 4, 2016, with KKZN flipping calls to KDSP and take the Fox Sports Radio affiliation, KKFN and KEPN joining ESPN Radio after KJAC heads off into non-commercial land, and KRWZ expected to join the fray. And on top of that if KSE does flip one of the FMs to Sports this battle is going to be more interesting than the sports teams that play in Denver.

Meanwhile, Denver could see a Sports radio war break out January 4, 2016, with KKZN flipping calls to KDSP and take the Fox Sports Radio affiliation,
Is there any truth to this or are just spoting off rumor ??
KKFN and KEPN joining ESPN Radio after KJAC heads off into non-commercial land,
I don't see KKFN picking up ESPN. One of their biggest gripes about ESPN was the programming demands the network put on the station (And still WILL even more so). I do however see KEPN or KRWZ picking it up however (But with all live sports being broadcast on KKFN though)
and KRWZ expected to join the fray.
No way will AM 950 go Non-Comm. KRWZ will pickup NBC Sports (From KEPN) or ESPN (From KJAC with live sports broadcast on KKFN)
And on top of that if KSE does flip one of the FMs to Sports this battle is going to be more interesting than the sports teams that play in Denver.
Unless KSE flips 92.5 to CBS Sports/Westwood One/Dial Global, I don't see that happening

If it DOES happen - I see 92.5 being the primary to all KSE live sports broadcasts with 104.3 being the secondary outlet with the Nuggets always being on one station & the Avs always being on the other

JMO.....

Cheers & Happy Holidays :)

Last edited:
Is there any truth to this or are just spoting off rumor ??

Yes. It has been confirmed. The press release came out a few weeks ago, and the FCC shows 760 as KDSP effective 12/10/15.

I don't see KKFN picking up ESPN. One of their biggest gripes about ESPN was the programming demands the network put on the station (And still WILL even more so). I do however see KEPN or KRWZ picking it up however (But with all live sports being broadcast on KKFN though)

Bonneville has already confirmed KEPN will go ESPN. KKFN will air some ESPN programming in the evenings, overnights and weekends.

No way will AM 950 go Non-Comm.

He didn't say KRWZ was going non-comm; he said it was going sports. KJAC 105.5 is going non-comm and will probably position itself more toward Ft. Collins as it's a Ft. Collins station taking it over (and it has shared a tower with it for years).

Yes. It has been confirmed. The press release came out a few weeks ago, and the FCC shows 760 as KDSP effective 12/10/15.
Then iHateRadio should go after either the 93.7 or 103.1 FM translator sticks because 760 will need the extra boost (Especially at night when it can BARELY be heard)
Bonneville has already confirmed KEPN will go ESPN. KKFN will air some ESPN programming in the evenings, overnights and weekends.
I can see KKFN picking up all live sports, Mike & Mike (As they did in the past even thugh they were an FSR affiliate) & maybe evening shows when there is no live sports (Locally or nationally) BUT I don't see them dropping the well established local shows during the day for ESPN (I see those being on KEPN only)
He didn't say KRWZ was going non-comm; he said it was going sports. KJAC 105.5 is going non-comm and will probably position itself more toward Ft. Collins as it's a Ft. Collins station taking it over (and it has shared a tower with it for years).
Well your point is moot because it was KUNC who bought 105.5 to serve as a non-commin Ft. Collins

I was only referring to only1moore's comment about 950 joinng the non-comm fray

But while we're on the subject of KRWZ, I do see them escaping the fray relatively unscathed but there's still the proverbial "X Factor" that is the 103.1 translator though. My thinking is Bonneville will dump comedy radio for a simulcast of KRWZ since going Classic Hits (Even as KRWZ-FM) would be near suicidal (As demonstrated by 101.5 which tweaked it's format quite a few times since it launched under the Jammin' Oldies name)

As for KWOF 92.5, I just don't see it surviving as a Country station as there's there's just too many factors at play here. Lemme list them

* First & foremost is the uncertain future of Westwood One on the Denver dial (92.5 could easily end the speculation & uncertainty with the excellent signal it has)

* CBS Sports Radio is STILL in play (Has been since its inception even though KKFN/KEPN have kinda sorta claimed affiliation with the network)

* NBC Sports Radio is now seemingly in play with KEPN now switching to ESPN (IF Mile High Sports Radio ever comes back on the air with a decent HD1 signal, they could pick it up)

* With all the hatred being spewed forth on Conservative Talk Radio these days, people are looking for an alternative to it that isn't Public Radio or some boring "Brokered" Talk station (Sports Talk does its part to fill this void quite nicely)

I know a lot of people on here believe there's TOO MUCH sports talk on the dial but HOW MANY of those people have even BOTHERED to tune in online (Much less turn on the radio while in Denver) ?? My bet is NOT VERY MANY

BTW - In case you're wondering why I didn't mention YSR, there's a reason why I didn't. Suffice to say if I delved into it, the Mods might have to move this thread (Or parts of it) to TIO (And we wouldn't want that :D )

Cheers & Happy New Year :)

Last edited:
Radio Insights reports that AM 950 is simulcasting 92.5 The Wolf until April 11, when the station re-launches as KKSE "Altitude Sports 950". It will flagship the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche and Colorado Rapids. Most likely, one of the KSE FM's will handle conflicting games. On the talk side, the station is set to carry FSR's Rich Eisen (not heard on AM 760), and former KKFN host Vic Lombardi has been signed to head up the local talent (which I imagine will have a few more KKFN people)

Radio Insights reports that AM 950 is simulcasting 92.5 The Wolf until April 11, when the station re-launches as KKSE "Altitude Sports 950". It will flagship the Denver Nuggets, Colorado Avalanche and Colorado Rapids. Most likely, one of the KSE FM's will handle conflicting games. On the talk side, the station is set to carry FSR's Rich Eisen (not heard on AM 760), and former KKFN host Vic Lombardi has been signed to head up the local talent (which I imagine will have a few more KKFN people)
The sports events WILL NOT survive on 950 (Even iHateRadio is realizing that the days of live sports on AM in Denver are numbered with Broncos games being simulcast on 103.5) however SPORTS TALK will continue to survive (As will any other talk/spoken word format)

JMO.....

The NFL and FM Rock stations of any sort have seemed to go hand in hand the last 10 years or so. With exceptions here and there, all other major league Sports still pretty much seem to be AM Radio territory.

The NFL and FM Rock stations of any sort have seemed to go hand in hand the last 10 years or so. With exceptions here and there, all other major league Sports still pretty much seem to be AM Radio territory.

Boston is now 100 percent FM for major pro sports -- Red Sox, Patriots, Celtics, Bruins, even MLS's Revolution have left AM. You can still hear college sports on AM there, but since Boston may be the single worst market for college sports in the country (New York City might dispute that) that's hardly a vote of confidence for AM, more like the only carriage deals the local schools can get. Behold the future!

It looks like the other website is pointing directions towards a certain animal being caged in favor of suiting up for the big leagues. Stay tuned...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom